Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think at some point the MSRP on Model Y needs to come down for real (the December delivery incentive doesn't really count), but doesn't Tesla kind of need to wait until their backlog is almost filled before doing it? Otherwise what's stopping people from cancelling their orders with the higher price and re-ordering?

I also have an R1S and a CT on order. If you just ordered the Rivian then yes it’s $96k for the 4 motor version but if you had an order in for a while it’s $79k. A far better car in every aspect than the Y.

Also not a guess…. Tesla is having issues in china with demand and like the discount they got 2 months before NA, expect major drop in demand over the next 3 months.

Reports from Bloomberg and Reuters today are that Tesla will cut production 20% in china due to weak demand in domestic market. This is even after price reductions. The same thing is about to happen in NA

The thing about the Rivians is that when the dual motor versions become available, the price of the quad-motor will go way up (CEO even alluded to this recently... "upside potential"). Not sure if reserving now will lock in the price, but hopefully I'll be able to configure before the price change.

At any rate, if the timing works out, I'll get to choose whether to go with the R1T or CT since I have both preordered, and theoretically they both would arrive early 2024. Or skip the trucks and get a 2024 Model Y or Model 3 refresh, or another EV altogether. If the pricing on the Y drops, that's probably the best option, but I honestly don't see the prices dropping that quickly. Tesla has been known to drop prices in the past, significantly and abruptly. So there's precedent for it but the market in China isn't apples-to-apples with the US.

Reactions: Eric9610
I do think at some point the MSRP on Model Y needs to come down for real (the December delivery incentive doesn't really count), but doesn't Tesla kind of need to wait until their backlog is almost filled before doing it? Otherwise what's stopping people from cancelling their orders with the higher price and re-ordering?
The problem is that Elon has said (grain of salt inserted here) that the price increases are due to increases in the cost of materials, which won't be coming down any time soon, not as any kind of 'market adjustment'. So the only way for Tesla to decrease prices with these increased costs is to cut into their margins per car which, admittedly, are among the highest in the auto industry.

I also have an R1S and a CT on order. If you just ordered the Rivian then yes it’s $96k for the 4 motor version but if you had an order in for a while it’s $79k. A far better car in every aspect than the Y.

Also not a guess…. Tesla is having issues in china with demand and like the discount they got 2 months before NA, expect major drop in demand over the next 3 months.

Reports from Bloomberg and Reuters today are that Tesla will cut production 20% in china due to weak demand in domestic market. This is even after price reductions. The same thing is about to happen in NA
Tesla China early this AM outlined that the 20% reduction is FALSE.
Bloomberg is fed tidbits by Shorts, and Reuters is just a parrot these days.

Where do you come up with your make believe stories? Lol. Tesla China in fact sold a new Record 100,000 cars this month! For clarity that’s a 90% Increase in production deliveries compared to the year prior. Seems like your facts are a bit agenda based.

Reactions: nate704
Where do you come up with your make believe stories? Lol. Tesla China in fact sold a new Record 100,000 cars this month! For clarity that’s a 90% Increase in production deliveries compared to the year prior. Seems like your facts are a bit agenda based.
I don't know if you read my whole post... Bloomberg reported yesterday this news along with referencing the increase in sales last month... it appears they only hit this number last month due to significant discounting, A key indicator that the market is softening.

I don't know if you read my whole post... Bloomberg reported yesterday this news along with referencing the increase in sales last month... it appears they only hit this number last month due to significant discounting, A key indicator that the market is softening.
Bloomberg and others (funded by other legacy auto makers and politicians) use agenda driven data to make Tesla look bad as much as they can.

Bloomberg report has already, yesterday, been denied by Tesla China.
You're extrapolating from baseless reports on internet blogs, which exist on clicks.
Hence the term 'clickbait'. You've been hooked.

Bloomberg report has already, yesterday, been denied by Tesla China.
You're extrapolating from baseless reports on internet blogs, which exist on clicks.
Hence the term 'clickbait'. You've been hooked.
Not just the 2 US based news agencies I mentioned cited lack of demand in the market and a reduction coming. 3 news sources in China reported independently, translated roughly the same thing...

Not just the 2 US based news agencies I mentioned cited lack of demand in the market and a reduction coming. 3 news sources in China reported independently, translated roughly the same thing...
Tesla China called BS.
Bloomberg is fed tips by Shorts. Reuters parrots.
Chinese Media supports State-sponsored companies - like BYD.

Who ya gonna believe - the clikbait mongers, CCP State media, or the company directly?

Reactions: nate704
it's amazing how 4-5 members come to defend Tesla/Musk for 100 different memebers posting onething or other....
these are the same people that said no way price cut happening in USA... now that it happened.. it's only TEMP...
noway to win an arguement on this thread or even express freely... since some are fully obligated to come to defend Tesla/Musk ... and reply to every post!!!
Let's go!!

it's amazing how 4-5 members come to defend Tesla/Musk for 100 different memebers posting onething or other....
these are the same people that said no way price cut happening in USA... now that it happened.. it's only TEMP...
noway to win an arguement on this thread or even express freely... since some are fully obligated to come to defend Tesla/Musk ... and reply to every post!!!
Let's go!!
It is not a price cut. It is a discount only for those who take delivery in December. If it is the price cut, you should be able to order the car online today with the discount, which is not the case.

It is not a price cut. It is a discount only for those who take delivery in December. If it is the price cut, you should be able to order the car online today with the discount, which is not the case.
like I said one must reply!!!

what's the point of ordering... when one can take delivery now at reduced prices !!!

the point is - aside from term temp disoucnt/price cut /temp price cut/ credit etc ---- there is growing evidence that cars are still available even after the discount.. it's not like they sold out next day after price cut and now old price sticks....
Majority of the deliveiries that have happened over last 2 months are booked before current prices ...
seems there are no buyers at the current prices coupled with high interest rates.
we all can debate.. but let's see where this land come jan...
i have one on order... month ago they would have cancelled my order if i didn't set-up delivery appt.... now they are letting me slide indefinitely.. i booked at current prices..

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric9610 and cdub
1670355294985.png

This car was 79k just 1 a week ago... advertised $3750cut --- then EAP 3k cut.

Reactions: Eric9610 and cdub
Status
Not open for further replies.