Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Comfort suspension upgrade (EU)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
After seeing another Tesla owner on Reddit being able to order the new 2023 comfort suspension for his 2021 Model Y (link to their post), I decided to attempt this for my Model Y LR (early 2022) which does not have the comfort suspension.

After writing to them back and fourth, they agreed to order the parts (total price around 1076$ converted from Danish currency), however they also told me that the entire basic vehicle limited warranty on my car would be voided if I decided to install it. I think this is quite weird since I would assume that it would only void the part of the warranty related to the coils and dampener assembly which I would be fine with. What are your thoughts on this? My car has 32K kilometers driven, so still quite a bit until 80K where the warranty expires, so I am a bit unsure what I should do now.

Any inputs are appreciated!

I guess Tesla and every other car manufacturer always claim that, no matter what you install to your car. According to EU laws, they can't withdraw the warranty however they like. It's like using a random USB-C charger to your laptop; using other brand's charger will not break the battery. If the battery breaks, the manufacturer would have to show why it was caused by a charger you used. So back to Tesla: If the warranty (either mileage or time) period is ongoing, they will always have an obligation to show why a part, let's say, 100% working Tesla or aftermarket suspension parts would cause an issue, for example, to high voltage battery or electric motors to break.

i'm sorry, but thats not 100% accurate. Tesla can't void your entire guarantee, thats correct. But in case you install parts on the car, that were not installed from the first place (in this case suspension parts from a later model equal aftermarket suspension parts) then your guarantee for the entire suspension (control arms, bushings, stabilizers etc) is voided. This only applies to modified parts like lowered suspension/coilovers, dampeners with different damping rates, additional electronics and so on for example. A replacement part that is identical to the factory part doesn't affect guarantee, thats correct.

And why wouldn't it? Your car and it's parts were designed to behave in a certain way. If this way changes now, there is potential different loads and behavior to be expected that could've never been predicted by the manufacturer.

BTW: the 4 years (8 years for the battery and drive units) guarantee that Tesla provides, is not regulated under EU law, since it goes beyond what the EU requires, therefore its completely (besides the first two years of course) voluntarily, therefore Tesla makes the rules, not the EU.

You have to ask yourself the question, if the expected improvement is worth risking to have to pay for parts later, that might never break. And even if, most of the parts are available in aftermarket now, which means you can easily get it repaired anywhere much cheaper than at Tesla using Tesla-Parts.