Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Brake Controller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for replies.
No tow package, and correct - I meant white brake controller connector (4 pin) in left (driver) footwell.
Is there any chance to activate it? If not would appreciate any footwell-located tap-in spots for 12v suggestions.

My apologies. I misunderstood. Consider outing in a ticket and asking tesla, or if you are close enough to a service centre ask the shop manager. Please report your findings back.

Good luck. 👍👍

Does anyone know if this works on 16V cars that don't supply the accessory power at the 7-pin connector?
I don't believe it does. My research indicated that the Echo requires power from the marvelously inoperative aux power pin. I really want to use the that brake controller in order to avoid tapping into a circuit to use a different brake controller.

Has anyone heard anything at all about Tesla finally fixing this?

I filled out a safety reporting form with DOT to let the Feds know that Tesla sells incomplete tow packages that could result in trailers with electric brakes having no emergency braking in the event they come loose from the tow vehicle.

Reactions: mcsenerd
I don't believe it does. My research indicated that the Echo requires power from the marvelously inoperative aux power pin. I really want to use the that brake controller in order to avoid tapping into a circuit to use a different brake controller.

Has anyone heard anything at all about Tesla finally fixing this?

I filled out a safety reporting form with DOT to let the Feds know that Tesla sells incomplete tow packages that could result in trailers with electric brakes having no emergency braking in the event they come loose from the tow vehicle.

The emergency braking comes from the trailer’s battery. Not the car.

The emergency braking comes from the trailer’s battery. Not the car.

Of course it does.

And the charging for that battery comes from the 12v aux pin on the trailer connector. Which doesn't get charged on lithium battery MY's because Tesla didn't bother to step the voltage down and left the pin unpowered. So the trailer battery, which is needed to power the trailer's emergency brakes, will eventually go dead.

Note: Some trailer emergency brake batteries are dry cells without a charger, others are built with batteries and a small charger and charge via the 12v aux power pin - those are the ones (like mine) that will go dead because they are not getting charged.

Of course it does.

And the charging for that battery comes from the 12v aux pin on the trailer connector. Which doesn't get charged on lithium battery MY's because Tesla didn't bother to step the voltage down and left the pin unpowered. So the trailer battery, which is needed to power the trailer's emergency brakes, will eventually go dead.

Note: Some trailer emergency brake batteries are dry cells without a charger, others are built with batteries and a small charger and charge via the 12v aux power pin - those are the ones (like mine) that will go dead because they are not getting charged.

Yes. Having said that, where travel trailers are concerned, usually there are solar panels on the roof of the trailer.

Not a thing for utility trailers with brakes though. I suppose that could be an issue.

I mean the aux power pin on the 7 pin connector, which is not connected on recent MYs
There is no reason that wouldn’t work. We built a little 12 volt to 12 volt charging unit so it would put a decent charge on the trailer battery if we got in a dry camping situation where we ran the battery down. On the 12 volt teslas like our 2022 the voltage on the charge pin is only around 13 volts. Really not much of a charge voltage. We used a little tool box as a project box and put in a little 9 amp 12 volt to 12 volt Victron converter. I set the output to 14.4 volts. Works well. I just added a standard trailer plug on the one end and plug the trailer into it. I feed it from the power point in the rear of the tesla.

You could do the same thing and probably with the same components as it would take 16 bolts in and feed 14 ish out.

I put a current and voltage meter on the input and output. The camera doesn’t show the digits well but you get the idea.

Here’s a pic.

IMG_4496.jpeg

IMG_4498.jpeg

Reactions: Watts_Up
There is no reason that wouldn’t work. We built a little 12 volt to 12 volt charging unit so it would put a decent charge on the trailer battery if we got in a dry camping situation where we ran the battery down. On the 12 volt teslas like our 2022 the voltage on the charge pin is only around 13 volts. Really not much of a charge voltage. We used a little tool box as a project box and put in a little 9 amp 12 volt to 12 volt Victron converter. I set the output to 14.4 volts. Works well. I just added a standard trailer plug on the one end and plug the trailer into it. I feed it from the power point in the rear of the tesla.

Could you show also the inside of the tool box.

Note: I believe that the OBD2 plug stays on when the car is sleeping, so maybe you could use this plug
to charge the battery of your trailer battery even when parked and the car is sleeping.

Could you show also the inside of the tool box.

Note: I believe that the OBD2 plug stays on when the car is sleeping, so maybe you could use this plug
to charge the battery of your trailer battery even when parked and the car is sleeping.
Here you go. And notice the input on the Victron us 8 - 17 volts.

IMG_8651.jpeg

IMG_8650.jpeg

IMG_8647.jpeg

IMG_8646.jpeg

So cigarette lighter thingy in on left.

Trailer plug out on the right. The only difference is you would cut into the wiring on the trailer, do a plug with ground so you can unhook it when you unhook the trailer. Or depending where your trailer battery is just go straight to the battery. (Some trailers have their batteries on the tongue).

IMG_8649.jpeg

You don’t need the meters. Just use a VOM to set up the output level and you are good to go. I just did the meters cause I was bored. (Covid)

Our batteries are under the bed but if your batteries are on the tongue just do a wire pair straight to the batteries.

And heads up, if I recall we have to leave the car in camp mode to keep the 12 volt on. Not an issue. Set the HVAC to temp a setting close to what the outside temp is so that it doesn’t have to work hard. Overnight the car will use about 6 percent of the battery. Meh.

IMG_5730.png

Last edited:
Of course, I'm thinking about something similar to that setup. I'll probably put in my RV a percon 1500 power station that has two solar inputs, one of them limited to 10A, and I would wire one to the car with a switch to allow charging when needed off the plug in the trunk