Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 20" Michelin tires 36kms range loss comparing to 19" PIRELLI Zero tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have put a Model Y order with 20" tires because I like Michelin tires better. But I just found Tesla indicated in their web site that the 20" tires are 36 Km range loss comparing to 19" tires. I never noticed that as my friend own a Model Y LR with 20" tires in China which shows around 500 on the screen after a full charge .

Last edited:
I have put a Model Y order with 20" tires because I like Michelin tires better. But I just found Tesla indicated in their web site that the 20" tires are 36 Km range loss comparing to 19" tires. I never noticed that as my friend own a Model Y LR with 20" tires in China which shows around 500 on the screen after a full charge .
Check out the video from engineering explained to explain why the smaller rims are better. Really informative and uses math.

You can show what you want on the screen... since you configure the wheels that are on the car in the car's settings. If you tell the car you have 19" wheels, it will use that wh/km constant to calculate the remaining battery capacity. What is shown on the main screen is not the real mileage you can do, it's the distance you can do with the current battery energy content if you consume like the EPA test. What you have to know is that bigger wheels equal greater consumption, as the video shows. After that, sportier/stickier tires also augment consumption.

Reactions: richyrich