Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X/Y bike rack loading issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months of planning our trip to Yosemite from Orange County, CA, on 7/5, we finally embarked on our 1st 7-day road trip in our '20 X. A few months prior; we also purchased the Tesla four bike Rack from Tesla.com. Long story short, we barely made it to our destination of Groveland with it. By the time we stopped in Fresno to charge, I had noticed the rack was already bending down at the hitch receiver. After entering Yosemite Park, it had already bent to where one of the bikes was a few inches from hitting the ground. There were 2 adult beach cruisers and two kids Trek Mountain bikes keeping it well within the load rating of 120 lbs.

After finally finding cell reception and calling Tesla multiple times, explaining our situation to Roadside Assitance, being transferred to the Fresno service dept, and being told that the next appointment to look at the car would be July 22nd, and I would have to pay for a tow. If towed, I would need to find a way to have my family and belongings transported to a car rental location. After voicing my concern and realizing both Tesla Roadside and Fresno Tesla were not going to help, I rigged some supports with a couple of straps I had in my trunk, which got me out of the park and back home. As you can see in the photo, I had to rotate the bikes to keep them from scraping even more.

On Monday, 7/12, I called Tesla and was told that someone would contact me in 24-48hrs to see what can be done; as of today(7/16), I have not heard back, I'm still SMH :confused: and hoping that my experience doesn't happen to anyone else or their family.

If you are planning on buying this rack, PLEASE DON'T! A 1-inch square tube on a rack of this size made for a 2-inch hitch receiver is grossly undersized, being that it already weighs almost 50 lbs. Find one that has a full 2-inch receiver insert which might even be half the cost of this one.
IMG_9300.jpg

So sorry for your troubles. I had an issue like that on a camping trailer with 4 bikes. We had to get some extra iron added to the hitch.

Re Model X --- I have a had many similar thoughts and have a 2 bike rack for our eBikes which are pretty heavy (we don't have batteries on them when we travel). I definitely went with a 2". The one we bought is just for 2 bikes. Get one that tilts back so you can open the hatch. Can I supercharge with it? 2 Bike Platform Swing Rack

If you think about the cantilever force if you are on a road with any up and down bumps the downward force would be significantly more than 120 lbs ... especially if heavier bikes are on the outside (farthest away from the vehicle).

After months of planning our trip to Yosemite from Orange County, CA, on 7/5, we finally embarked on our 1st 7-day road trip in our '20 X. A few months prior; we also purchased the Tesla four bike Rack from Tesla.com. Long story short, we barely made it to our destination of Groveland with it. By the time we stopped in Fresno to charge, I had noticed the rack was already bending down at the hitch receiver. After entering Yosemite Park, it had already bent to where one of the bikes was a few inches from hitting the ground. There were 2 adult beach cruisers and two kids Trek Mountain bikes keeping it well within the load rating of 120 lbs.

After finally finding cell reception and calling Tesla multiple times, explaining our situation to Roadside Assitance, being transferred to the Fresno service dept, and being told that the next appointment to look at the car would be July 22nd, and I would have to pay for a tow. If towed, I would need to find a way to have my family and belongings transported to a car rental location. After voicing my concern and realizing both Tesla Roadside and Fresno Tesla were not going to help, I rigged some supports with a couple of straps I had in my trunk, which got me out of the park and back home. As you can see in the photo, I had to rotate the bikes to keep them from scraping even more.

On Monday, 7/12, I called Tesla and was told that someone would contact me in 24-48hrs to see what can be done; as of today(7/16), I have not heard back, I'm still SMH :confused: and hoping that my experience doesn't happen to anyone else or their family.

If you are planning on buying this rack, PLEASE DON'T! A 1-inch square tube on a rack of this size made for a 2-inch hitch receiver is grossly undersized, being that it already weighs almost 50 lbs. Find one that has a full 2-inch receiver insert which might even be half the cost of this one. View attachment 685065
Sorry to hear about the issue. Why is your Model X sitting so low? What is the suspension set to in this picture? Looks well below the "Very Low" setting.

So sorry for your troubles. I had an issue like that on a camping trailer with 4 bikes. We had to get some extra iron added to the hitch.

Re Model X --- I have a had many similar thoughts and have a 2 bike rack for our eBikes which are pretty heavy (we don't have batteries on them when we travel). I definitely went with a 2". The one we bought is just for 2 bikes. Get one that tilts back so you can open the hatch. Can I supercharge with it? 2 Bike Platform Swing Rack

If you think about the cantilever force if you are on a road with any up and down bumps the downward force would be significantly more than 120 lbs ... especially if heavier bikes are on the outside (farthest away from the vehicle).
Thanks for the reccomendation! It was def. a pain to back into the charge stalls with the rack as well with only a couple inches to spare.

take a look at one up or kuat racks when you shop for your replacement
This. Why would anyone buy a 1” rack to go into a 2” hitch receiver? Also, it’s just a crappy, overpriced, Thule clone with a Tesla logo stamped on it.

The hitch is only meant to support 120lbs vertically. 40+lbs for the rack then how many mountain bikes are on there…?

OPs 1st paragraph said:
"2 adult beach cruisers and
two kids Trek Mountain bikes keeping it well within the load rating of 120 lbs."
Average beach cruiser weighs about 40lbs
Average kids mountain bike is about 25lbs
Rack weighs 40
That’s 170lbs total.

I don’t thin OP is taking the weight of the rack into account. Bottom line is there is clearly too much weight on there. Otherwise it would not be bent.

This. Why would anyone buy a 1” rack to go into a 2” hitch receiver? Also, it’s just a crappy, overpriced, Thule clone with a Tesla logo stamped on it.

The hitch is only meant to support 120lbs vertically. 40+lbs for the rack then how many mountain bikes are on there…?
It's actually a Tesla-branded Yakima. I had no idea it was a 1 inch until it came in, it mentions it's made for a 2 inch online, but that's only the part that goes into the receiver then spreads open to create a pressure fit lock. Overall a bad setup.

Average beach cruiser weighs about 40lbs
Average kids mountain bike is about 25lbs
Rack weighs 40
That’s 170lbs total.

I don’t thin OP is taking the weight of the rack into account. Bottom line is there is clearly too much weight on there. Otherwise it would not be bent.
Tesla Model X/Y Hitch Rack "The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs." I would side with the 120lbs refers to the actual load and not the gross, including the 40lb rack. If we look closer, it seems as if Yakima's full-tilt rack(same specs)is meant to hold up to 5 bikes x 37.5lbs ea. ='s 187.5lbs, but in the Tesla-branded case, they maxed it at 4. I'm guessing maybe due to the weight being multiplied over road conditions and the X's 500lb tongue max., who knows. I weighed the bicycles since I knew any claim would need it, and here they are rounded up.

Bike 1 36 lbs
Bike 2 35 lbs
Bike 3 22 lbs
Bike 4 22 lbs

Coming in at 115lbs. It's hard to believe you can add that much more weight to this Tesla-branded Yakima, states: Yakima Full Tilt.

As soon as I hear back from Tesla(if I do), I will post an update...

Tesla Model X/Y Hitch Rack "The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs." I would side with the 120lbs refers to the actual load and not the gross, including the 40lb rack. If we look closer, it seems as if Yakima's full-tilt rack(same specs)is meant to hold up to 5 bikes x 37.5lbs ea. ='s 187.5lbs, but in the Tesla-branded case, they maxed it at 4.

FYI, the Yakima site states 150lbs max for both the 4 and 5 bike variations. It doesn't matter for your example with 115lbs but it is a good question of what the Tesla 120lbs max means. They may argue you put 155lbs (115+40) on it.

If there were any rough roads and some with a bounce the cantilever force could have started to bend the 1" bar ... then it progressively bounced and weakened.

"Max 40 lbs per bike with a total max of 150 lbs" -- from their site but a really odd way to state it. i.e "40 lbs per bike".

yakima-full-tilt-hitch-bike-rack-68__22897.1462809588.jpg

The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs."
The “hitch” and the “rack” are two different things. Tesla is saying that the max vertical hitch load is 120 lbs. That includes the rack, it is part of the load on the hitch.

@scottf200 is saying that Yakima states their FullTilt rack can support a max of 150 lbs of bikes.

Yakima makes no claims about what the safe loading is when that rack is installed in the Tesla hitch.

At Model X/Y Hitch Rack Tesla states; “When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X/Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs.” That page also states the weight of the hitch is 40 lbs.

Note that Tesla is stating what the max hitch load is; Tesla is not stating what the max load of the rack is when attached to the Tesla hitch. But it is possible to figure that out based on the supplied information.

It appears to me that when mounting that rack on the Tesla hitch, do not load it up with more than 80 lbs of bikes.