Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X surfboard soft racks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been using the Creatures Of Leisure Wrap Rax on my Model X. They’re a single set of soft racks, so they only take 2-3 stacked boards.
Having a single board rack means it can go under one of the gull wing doors [see image], allowing it to open and close when I want. My previous double soft racks would never allow me to open either gull wing door.
It makes transporting my surfboards so much easier! 10/10.

Wrap Rax

IMG_0967.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg

Reactions: aesculus
Good morning - how does this setup work for you? one door opens and the boards just stay attached to the door? what happens if someone opens both doors by accident? do the boards get smashed/damaged?

I ask because my wife has a Model Y and I hate the way it drives. The only thing keeping me from the Model X is surfboard transport :)

Greenroonhoo - It is possible to open the door that has the rack attached, as in the door won’t see the rack as an obstruction. But if the rack is too tight, it could damage the rack or seals. So I don’t allow that door to be opened if the rack is on it.
The opposite door is able to be opened with no issues when the rack is attached.
Accidental opening is a risk, but so far I’ve not had any issues.

Tobash - I would agree with you if the rack was on the car for long periods of time, or subject to high wind/large board loads (e.g. driving on a freeway 2 hours to a surf location). For me, I use them infrequently and for short low speed trips (10 minutes at 50km/hr) and I remove them when parking the car. I’ve been using them for 6 months, one day every week or two, and I’ve seen no issues with the seals. When tightening the racks, most of the force is on the roof and bottom ceiling, there’s no force on the seal. Only when the door closes does the rack strap put pressure onto the seal.

Images from where the rack usually sits again the seal.
IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_2437.jpeg