Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased my 2022 X it was priced as $79,990 + $10,000 for long range (100kWh) battery. Had to wait a year for it to be delivered.

Luxury cars are rarely "twice the car" as their higher volume lower level production.

X costs more because low production keep it from using mega casting cost technology.

Some of the extra cost comes from all aluminum chassis, adaptable air suspension, larger battery, higher performance, more noise surressing insulation, larger tires/brakes, 2nd drivers display, motorized tilting center display, powered doors, active noise supression, falcon wing doors, 5,000 lb towing, ceiling speakers for Sony Atmos, rear seat video and environmental controls, light and action show, 6 seat executive seating option, ride height control + auto leveling, unique panorama windshield offers front and rear seat passengers a unique view to the world, limited production for exclusivity.

Wealthy people do not feel this if an over priced car, compared to similar performance/sized offerings from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc.

X also qualifies for Section 179 business deductions plus instant 100% deductibility, those with profitable small businesses will find their net costs being similar to buying a Model 3/Y.

Tesla master plan was to use a limited production roadster sales to produce $ to develop a larger, higher volume profitable sedan, which would provide the funds to develop a less expensive even higher production smaller car. Be aware that without the success of S/X there would never have been the more affordable 3/Y. Be thankful tha S/X were successful.
I agree with you 100%. Just also sharing my thoughts here as well. My hubby and I got the car (MX White/Black 5 seater) around mid-March at $99,990 after the initial price drop but before the April price drop and before all the supercharging offers haha. Of course like anything, it would've been better if we got it at the lower April prices and supercharging credits, but we're ok with the price we paid. I sometimes do think there are so many other cars (EV or ICE) out there with even more features to offer and very luxurious too with similar price range that we paid, but then I like how Tesla gets pretty frequent updates so that it won't be like an obsolete tech car and also the charging network in case I do go on road trips one day. Also, the X's range and 0-60 is pretty good compared with those in this price range, at least for now haha. I'm aware there are more comparable cars out there currently or soon though and I'm not married to Tesla.

Section 179 deduction for business was why my hubby decided on the X instead of MYP and he fell in love with it after test driving it. We would've gotten the MXP if it wasn't a 6 seater (we have dogs so we wanted the 5 seater; no kids).

Yeah I don't think the X is necessarily double the price of the Y. However, there are also many things I buy that also aren't worth double/triple the price but I buy it because of the perceived value I see like designer bags etc. I'm not a car or tech person so please don't mind my little list of why I like the X over Tesla's current offerings lol:

- bigger SUV for my doggies
- 17-inch display
- display can swivel left, middle, and right
- gauge screen
- rear screen
- panoramic windshield with magnetic sun visor (I put a glass roof sunshade on right now since it's getting hot and sunny in CA)
- air suspension
- falcon wing doors
- automatic doors i.e. many ways to open/close doors with physical/onscreen buttons and driver's side closes with brakes pressed
- easy to press door handles
- heated and ventilated front seats (backseats are only heated)
- have newest hardware/radar but too bad the X gets slower software updates
- pretty smooth ride
- pretty decent range (LR) and 0-60
- flapping wings and doors light show
- HomeLink included
- Section 179 deduction
- overall, a more luxurious experience

When I purchased my 2022 X it was priced as $79,990 + $10,000 for long range (100kWh) battery. Had to wait a year for it to be delivered.

Luxury cars are rarely "twice the car" as their higher volume lower level production.

X costs more because low production keep it from using mega casting cost technology.

Some of the extra cost comes from all aluminum chassis, adaptable air suspension, larger battery, higher performance, more noise surressing insulation, larger tires/brakes, 2nd drivers display, motorized tilting center display, powered doors, active noise supression, falcon wing doors, 5,000 lb towing, ceiling speakers for Sony Atmos, rear seat video and environmental controls, light and action show, 6 seat executive seating option, ride height control + auto leveling, unique panorama windshield offers front and rear seat passengers a unique view to the world, limited production for exclusivity.

Wealthy people do not feel this if an over priced car, compared to similar performance/sized offerings from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc.

X also qualifies for Section 179 business deductions plus instant 100% deductibility, those with profitable small businesses will find their net costs being similar to buying a Model 3/Y.

Tesla master plan was to use a limited production roadster sales to produce $ to develop a larger, higher volume profitable sedan, which would provide the funds to develop a less expensive even higher production smaller car. Be aware that without the success of S/X there would never have been the more affordable 3/Y. Be thankful tha S/X were successful.

Lol yeah, I agree. A M3 competition costs almost 2x a base 3 Series. But you never hear people saying "M3 Competition isn't twice a 3 series, the Competition needs to drop in price before I'd consider it".

Automakers spend a lot more time/energy/effort managing their product marketing, manufacturing, pricing, and sales to ensure their entire portfolio value is optimized. I don't care if you're Tesla or BMW... panic-dropping pricing just because a little bit of inventory builds up is leaving a ton of money on the table. Automakers want to build value into their products; but of course consumers just want things cheaper.

Reactions: maytaurustiger

The issue is inventory is up and demand is lower than expectations. You increase demand of a mature product by lowering the price, which opens you up to a whole new market of people. The rest is irrelevant.
In terms of technology, the Model X is no longer that special, as technology has expanded throughout all sectors of the auto market. I'm sure there's lots of people who think the Model X would be a better fit for their needs, except for the price.

I was wrong, btw, about 5-seat inventory being the driver for the relative glut we've got right now.

According to EV-CPO it's pretty evenly split between 5, 6 and 7-seat configs. Obviously some of the 6-seats are Plaids, and there are more 5's than the others, but not significantly more.

Tesla's problem isn't that the cost of the Model X is too high. It's just not far ahead of its competitors like it was 5 years ago. The sub-80K market is fine. People are buying Model Y's. The only reason to drop Model X prices is would be to get rid of the current version of the car that just isn't that great anymore. There's a good number of alternatives out there at the ~100K+ range. If Tesla can make the X a technological marvel that's far ahead of the competition like it was several years ago, many people will line up to buy it.

Reactions: E90alex and GoVols!
Tesla's problem isn't that the cost of the Model X is too high. It's just not far ahead of its competitors like it was 5 years ago. The sub-80K market is fine. People are buying Model Y's. The only reason to drop Model X prices is would be to get rid of the current version of the car that just isn't that great anymore. There's a good number of alternatives out there at the ~100K+ range. If Tesla can make the X a technological marvel that's far ahead of the competition like it was several years ago, many people will line up to buy it.
Agree - you either have to be worldbeating on most/all fronts, or priced competitively, and you definitely can't be neither. People, maybe naively, still think $100k should buy something special too, and when the new X looks exactly like the 70D your neighbor just got for $40k, well...people in this price range are also fickle, and image-conscious/fashion-seeking.

I think the other thing is, I don't think the $100k EV people pod market is very big. As soon as R1S, EQS SUV, iX or whoever takes another slice of the pie, it's more impactful, especially coming from trusted manufacturers who already have a slice of the higher end consumer's attention. Sure Model X outperforms all three in some ways, but it doesn't in others. Yeah, Model X can run the 1/4 faster and charge faster, but its sunshades can't block the sun coming in the side windows, so performance has its compromises lol.

Meanwhile, the $40-50k people pod market is basically infinite.

Last edited:
Reactions: cusetownusa
2023 could be a bad year for the MX unless big changes are made
I agree with you 100%. Just also sharing my thoughts here as well. My hubby and I got the car (MX White/Black 5 seater) around mid-March at $99,990 after the initial price drop but before the April price drop and before all the supercharging offers haha. Of course like anything, it would've been better if we got it at the lower April prices and supercharging credits, but we're ok with the price we paid. I sometimes do think there are so many other cars (EV or ICE) out there with even more features to offer and very luxurious too with similar price range that we paid, but then I like how Tesla gets pretty frequent updates so that it won't be like an obsolete tech car and also the charging network in case I do go on road trips one day. Also, the X's range and 0-60 is pretty good compared with those in this price range, at least for now haha. I'm aware there are more comparable cars out there currently or soon though and I'm not married to Tesla.

Section 179 deduction for business was why my hubby decided on the X instead of MYP and he fell in love with it after test driving it. We would've gotten the MXP if it wasn't a 6 seater (we have dogs so we wanted the 5 seater; no kids).

Yeah I don't think the X is necessarily double the price of the Y. However, there are also many things I buy that also aren't worth double/triple the price but I buy it because of the perceived value I see like designer bags etc. I'm not a car or tech person so please don't mind my little list of why I like the X over Tesla's current offerings lol:

- bigger SUV for my doggies
- 17-inch display
- display can swivel left, middle, and right
- gauge screen
- rear screen
- panoramic windshield with magnetic sun visor (I put a glass roof sunshade on right now since it's getting hot and sunny in CA)
- air suspension
- falcon wing doors
- automatic doors i.e. many ways to open/close doors with physical/onscreen buttons and driver's side closes with brakes pressed
- easy to press door handles
- heated and ventilated front seats (backseats are only heated)
- have newest hardware/radar but too bad the X gets slower software updates
- pretty smooth ride
- pretty decent range (LR) and 0-60
- flapping wings and doors light show
- HomeLink included
- Section 179 deduction
- overall, a more luxurious experience
This is pretty much the same reasons my wife prefers the MX over MYP, for the exception of light show and she doesn’t even know that’s a thing. She was sold on the air suspension,cooling seats, much more comfortable seats and an actual instrument cluster.

• Love
Lol.. its feels exactly same cost recovery measure as when EM had put Twitter's coffee machines for sale.

BTW may be "Yokerring" is around the corner but for a price $499. Lets wait and watch the $rama.
Image credit insideevs article. New And Improved Tesla Yoke Reportedly Coming Soon
I could get behind this option but stalks would be nice.

This is pretty much the same reasons my wife prefers the MX over MYP, for the exception of light show and she doesn’t even know that’s a thing. She was sold on the air suspension,cooling seats, much more comfortable seats and an actual instrument cluster.
That's so cute that we both think the same haha. I only know about the light show because I watch too much Youtube lol.
Go drive a ‘24 BMW X7 m60 or even the X7 40i and see which one offers more value. The MX is a tough sell currently.
Thank you for sharing the suggestions. I was just going to ask here if anyone knows comparable cars as the MX because I want to know what I'm missing out on lol.

Reactions: GoVols!

They should really consider making it as cheap as possible and sell as many of them as possible. Let the CT and Roadster be the Halo cars.

That's so cute that we both think the same haha. I only know about the light show because I watch too much Youtube lol.

Thank you for sharing the suggestions. I was just going to ask here if anyone knows comparable cars as the MX because I want to know what I'm missing out on lol.
The only vehicles I would cross shop with the MX is the X7 and the new base Range Rover. The X7 is most likely much more reliable compared to the Range Rover and more of a drivers suv, so I’d lean that direction. I’m just holding off until I see the MX is getting any real updates this fall as I’d still prefer it overall.

• Love
The only vehicles I would cross shop with the MX is the X7 and the new base Range Rover. The X7 is most likely much more reliable compared to the Range Rover and more of a drivers suv, so I’d lean that direction. I’m just holding off until I see the MX is getting any real updates this fall as I’d still prefer it overall.

I wouldn't cross-shop anything that's not electric, it would feel like going back in time. It would feel like stepping back in time if I purchased anything that is not electric.

Yep, my wife hates the Model Y. It wasn't even up for contention. I like how people say there are competitors to the Model X right now... but TBH I couldn't find one even after wasting a month trying.

Nicely Equipped X7? Good luck with Dealer Markup

Nicely Equipped Q7? Good luck with Dealer Markup

iX? Ha!!! No effing way loser-scum like myself could get one

EQS? Whoaaaaaaa I am definitely loser-scum

Anything good on GM's GMT T1XX platform? Does TMC allow the middle finger emoji? Because that's how I felt trying to buy one of these from the GM dealer network.

I wouldn't cross-shop anything that's not electric, it would feel like going back in time.
Well, I prefer automatic mechanical watches over digital watches. I have an iwatch for certain activities as I would have an Ev for certain activities, such as around town and trips under 4hrs. However, I love the sound of an engine and I get to my long road trip destination much quicker. Sitting at a charger and worry about which one to plug into is not enjoyable to me. The X7 and Range Rover are not like going back in time. Until an EV can travel 400mi. at 80mph and provide massaging seats with the lovely smell of semi-aline or merino leather seats, I’ll be happy to stay in the “past”. Lol! I am not all or nothing vehicle owner. I like having choices in my garage.

Yep, my wife hates the Model Y. It wasn't even up for contention. I like how people say there are competitors to the Model X right now... but TBH I couldn't find one even after wasting a month trying.

Nicely Equipped X7? Good luck with Dealer Markup

Nicely Equipped Q7? Good luck with Dealer Markup

iX? Ha!!! No effing way loser-scum like myself could get one

EQS? Whoaaaaaaa I am definitely loser-scum

Anything good on GM's GMT T1XX platform? Does TMC allow the middle finger emoji? Because that's how I felt trying to buy one of these from the GM dealer network.
Totally agree here. If you’re looking to have one vehicle, especially where you live, the MX is a tough one to beat.

Have any fall MX updates been “announced”?