Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cut by $2000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing an extended test drive this weekend. They let me take a Model X home from Sat 5pm til Monday morning. I need to test the falcon wing doors in my garage. We are close to pulling the trigger - my wife is actually fully on board. She is picky with new cars and instantly loved the Tesla.

I've just never paid $100K for a car before. Highest I've gone is $50K new. Instead of cookies if you give me $50K I'm in.

The extended test drive was a big help for us. Seeing it in our garage, watching the doors open just fine. If your spouse is on board, you're toast.

Sorry, while our cookies are good, they're not $50k good.

It's a lot of money, no doubt.

Not really much more than a comparable MB, BMW, or Volvo SUV - especially once you factor in the difference in maintenance and fuel costs. It'll probably hold resale value better, too (after rebates are factored in.)

The other way to look at it is a really nice car plus a ~$20k donation towards a better world.
My other hesitation is the rumor about an interior refresh. Do I wait for that?

My gut tells me an interior refresh this year doesn't make sense if they just re-did the production lines May 1 for the charging speed and vehicle range. Why would you do another production line update so soon especially if you are trying to control costs and keep your stock price from falling further? What makes sense to me is to focus all dollars on moving inventory and selling cars for the rest of the year, not on refreshes.

But I've never encountered a car company like this before that just randomly does updates and pushes them out to you, or that retrofits updates on older cars. It makes the car more like a smartphone or computer than it does a vehicle. So if I'm wrong and an interior refresh is coming, I would love to get that update. I can't afford to swap cars every few years!

Also for those I see who can afford multiple Xs and Ss or who swap out every few years - I'd love to come work for you.

Also speaking of BMW - are other car companies catching up, and is this why Tesla stock is dropping? If I price out an ICE BMW X5 and load it with every option I can possibly click on, I get a price around $90K. And it includes the following self-driving capabilities:

upload_2019-5-21_9-43-7.png

I am not making the world better buying ICE, but I could still do cool self-driving party tricks with it.

• Informative
Reactions: losangeles

My gut tells me an interior refresh this year doesn't make sense if they just re-did the production lines May 1 for the charging speed and vehicle range. Why would you do another production line update so soon especially if you are trying to control costs and keep your stock price from falling further? What makes sense to me is to focus all dollars on moving inventory and selling cars for the rest of the year, not on refreshes.

But I've never encountered a car company like this before that just randomly does updates and pushes them out to you, or that retrofits updates on older cars. It makes the car more like a smartphone or computer than it does a vehicle. So if I'm wrong and an interior refresh is coming, I would love to get that update. I can't afford to swap cars every few years!

Also for those I see who can afford multiple Xs and Ss or who swap out every few years - I'd love to come work for you.

I understand. The real question is until when can you hold off buying the S or X? When is the right time for you to buy the? Only you CNA answer that. There will always be something “new” that Tesla will come up with. Their cars get better over time with software updates. And like you said, it’s like a smartphone but it’s up to you if you want to swap every time there’s an upgrade/refresh.

IMO, now is the best time and take advantage of the federal tax credit $3750 before it cuts into half by end of June 30th.

Reactions: Sg911
FWIW, I contacted Tesla via chat this AM on their tesla.com/support site, and they said to contact sales. Who I've already emailed but we'll see when they get back with me. My account re-opened today where I could update payment, but could not update the design and still doesn't show the new pricing. Seems like if you're past the point where you can edit your design, it's going to require someone at Tesla to manually go in and update your order.

Honestly, I'm not sure the interior refresh will make things better for me.

Everything I've seen hints at going more towards Model 3 design philosophy - remove the instrument cluster, reduce the controls.

(But I'm not sure that any of the various posts on the subject correctly reflect what Tesla will ultimately do - they certainly haven't made a statement, and even when they do, those sometimes change in the end, like the Model Y Falcon Wings.)

I've come to appreciate the transition from dozens of little buttons to a logically arranged touch screen UI - but I feel like the 3 goes too far on that. Having a dedicated stalk for AP/TACC is really useful.

I also realized I routinely keep more information on display than a 3 style interface will allow - trips and energy efficiency and Nav and music all ay the same time, so I don't have to keep switching.

Tesla tends to do an update of some sort towards the beginning of the quarter most quarters, so likely candidates for the refresh would be July/August or October/November - or next year, or the year after.

Reactions: TKGA
Honestly, I'm not sure the interior refresh will make things better for me.

Everything I've seen hints at going more towards Model 3 design philosophy - remove the instrument cluster, reduce the controls.

(But I'm not sure that any of the various posts on the subject correctly reflect what Tesla will ultimately do - they certainly haven't made a statement, and even when they do, those sometimes change in the end, like the Model Y Falcon Wings.)

I've come to appreciate the transition from dozens of little buttons to a logically arranged touch screen UI - but I feel like the 3 goes too far on that. Having a dedicated stalk for AP/TACC is really useful.

I also realized I routinely keep more information on display than a 3 style interface will allow - trips and energy efficiency and Nav and music all ay the same time, so I don't have to keep switching.

Tesla tends to do an update of some sort towards the beginning of the quarter most quarters, so likely candidates for the refresh would be July/August or October/November - or next year, or the year after.
This is very helpful thank you. I remember going through this dilemma in 2008 when I bought a BMW 3 series. They were going to update the i-Drive 6 months later and ultimately I pulled the trigger before the refresh. I haven't regretted it - we still have that car and I love it.

Another possibility - if Tesla is adding features but cutting 3% on price every quarter, then I just have to wait 5.75 years for the price of the Model X to drop to $50K. Maybe I'll do that

• Funny
Reactions: JasonA-EV
I understand. The real question is until when can you hold off buying the S or X? When is the right time for you to buy the? Only you CNA answer that. There will always be something “new” that Tesla will come up with. Their cars get better over time with software updates. And like you said, it’s like a smartphone but it’s up to you if you want to swap every time there’s an upgrade/refresh.

IMO, now is the best time and take advantage of the federal tax credit $3750 before it cuts into half by end of June 30th.
It will be interesting to see the rush for the S and X deliveries by June 30th. People ordered in March and April still haven’t taken delivery but maybe now they are actually ready !

Did you have to contact them for the price decrease, or will it be automatically applied to all existing refresh orders?
I didn't get clarification on that, as I had contacted them in order to ask. My guess is that it will be automatic, but I don't have that from the horse's mouth. I would say if you have an adviser contact, give them a call or email.

I didn't get clarification on that, as I had contacted them in order to ask. My guess is that it will be automatic, but I don't have that from the horse's mouth. I would say if you have an adviser contact, give them a call or email.
Cool. Thanks. Yea, I will try again. He hasn’t returned my call from 2 weeks ago or from 9am this morning. Was very persistent to get my deposit tho, he texted,called and emailed till I placed my order and then it’s been complete silence.

Cool. Thanks. Yea, I will try again. He hasn’t returned my call from 2 weeks ago or from 9am this morning. Was very persistent to get my deposit tho, he texted,called and emailed till I placed my order and then it’s been complete silence.
My account is now updated (in the last 15 minutes or so) to show the lower pricing. Check your account now to get some more data as to whether it's across the board or just for requests.