Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X damaged before a delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used means it's been driven by someone. I'm sure more than 50% of all new cars have some sort of damage/work done on them before they're delivered. Tesla just happens to be honest about it and tell you up front.

now come you're just making that number up.

don't paint tesla as some sort of saint now, i'm quite sure it was a scratch they knew they couldn't get away with.

they are perfectly fine delivering vehicles with paint damage, misaligned trim and panels, squeaks and rattles, misaligned FWD, and dust, scuffs, and 'chalk marks??' what is up with that.

Reactions: Leo Snow
Yeah, people there think that I'm bashing Tesla where I'm not. I just tried to share some negative experience , and maybe wasn't 100% clear and they started protecting everything Tesla related like mamabirds. I don't like that. When I'm upset and pissed off, I'm saying that I'm upset and pissed off. It doesn't mean that I'm pissed off on Tesla though. They have something to improve though and I'd prefer to be able to talk about things like that in a pretty straight forward manner. You can hate me for that if you'd like.

No one is "hating you". Put on your big boy pants and stop doubling down on nonsensical arguments.

Your car is not used.

You were given honest and well intentioned feedback.

You did not discuss your concerns in a manner that left room for a graceful discussion.

I understand that Elon Musk can sell Raid to some of us cockroaches but not all of us.

Honestly, this kind of stuff happens all the time. Food for thought: the next car is just as susceptible to the same damage this time around. I was told every now and then, they will ship cars in closed containers on trucks. Most of the time, it's open car carriers. It's just a risk that you take, that every car takes when they travel across the country. If you keep rejecting it based on that, you'll never have a car to drive.

If the scratch is the only thing you found wrong on inspection during delivery, you have an AMAZING car and you should take it without a doubt :D

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Poor paint seems to be a theme with Tesla so like others have said - if you reject it and order another you will probably end up with a paint defect of some type again. If it’s not too bad let them correct it as best as possible and enjoy the car. My car has 2 paint defects, taking it in tomorrow but won’t let them repaint the car, just do whatever they can to minimize them, maybe a good detailing. I’ve realized that Tesla isn’t Porsche or MB so lowered my expectations and am fine with it now.

Speaking of poor paint - anyone else got a very rough finish around the edges of the mirror casings - the opening where the mirror sits in? Mines terrible

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Poor paint seems to be a theme with Tesla so like others have said - if you reject it and order another you will probably end up with a paint defect of some type again. If it’s not too bad let them correct it as best as possible and enjoy the car. My car has 2 paint defects, taking it in tomorrow but won’t let them repaint the car, just do whatever they can to minimize them, maybe a good detailing. I’ve realized that Tesla isn’t Porsche or MB so lowered my expectations and am fine with it now.

Speaking of poor paint - anyone else got a very rough finish around the edges of the mirror casings - the opening where the mirror sits in? Mines terrible
Do you have pics of what you're talking about?

Coming from Subaru. The paint is bad with that manufacturer also. Honestly once they started cracking down on the chemicals in the 80s and 90s all car manufacturers suffer from paint issues.

Question that you can only answer yourself is, can the joy of driving this car overcome the stress of not having a showroom perfect car?

Long ago I’ve cared less and less about things like this. Too much other crap to be stressed about. Unless you got the coin to add in to pay a shop that specializes in keeping your paint looking showroom every day, you will have to accept this. It’s the nature of just driving a car.

2 days after buying my car I had to take a few long trips for work and I got pinged in the hood with tiny paint chips missing. I bought some touch up paint. I’ve always been the kid who could never color between the lines with crayon. So when I tried to do a small dab of the touch up paint to my hood, I got the most piece of *sugar* drop to cover it up. I should have left it alone. Lol. Unless you know to look for it, you won’t see it. But damnit if I don’t look right at it every day now when I get in my car. But that stress washes away as I drop the stalk to drive and take off.

I say give tesla a chance to make it right and go drive the damn thing.

• Love
Reactions: Leo Snow and P85_DA
Rumor had it Titanium was discontinued because of factory painting issues. At delivery, they pointed out there was flaws with my paint on almost half of the panels on the car. I personally didn't notice until they pointed them out. I accepted and allowed them to send it to a reputable paint shop that did a flawless job repainting my entire X. I am sure the factory couldn't have painted it as well as the shop I had. Paint is easy to fix. Think of it that your X is getting a more personal exterior finish.

Reactions: rjcbox
i thought these types of posts only happened in the model 3 subthread.

Its a scratch, and they offered to fix it. Whats the big deal? If they had lied and said the truck was delayed instead, and then fixed it you would've never known it and be none the wiser and 100% happy with your car.

Does anyone think all the cars sitting parking lots outside in the weather day in and day out at car dealerships arrive from the factory or the customer flawless? Heck no, those dealerships also pay large sums of money to detail cars before delivery as well. Even driving past a porsche dealership i saw loads of cars sitting outside in the elements. And we had hail here a few months ago.

#justsayin

edit: read thru the entire thread, seems like the OP came to his senses. don't let a minor thing delay you from your new car. I know i wouldn't.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing