Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Autopilot Problem - Pretty Scary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="micqing, post: 1622714, member: 50182"... My wife called Tesla customer service to report this incident a few minutes later. The service rep on the phone seemed not too surprised and told me he had a similar situation while driving his own S...[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ...

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm a little confused.

You got the car in March, and then two weeks later you tried the autopilot feature on the freeway. You had what amounts to a technical failure because it should never do that you described. The service rap clearly gave you bad information to anyone experienced with the either TACC or AP on the Model S/X.

So what has your experience been like with Autopilot since then? It's been a long time since march.

Keep in mind that Autopilot is just a combination of features, and that not all these features are in beta.

In your case the TACC element is too blame, and the TACC element is not in beta at all. It's just adaptive cruise control and there isn't anything overly new/complicated about it. Lots, and lots of cars have adaptive cruise control.

Your adaptive cruise control simply didn't function correctly.

I was told initially during the test drive that the numbers 1-7 are car lengths but at pick-up were told it was seconds based on the speed at which the car is going. Full disclosure - haven't read the manual. But, my experience with the car seems to indicate the later.

I'm quite certain that the follow distance increments are time, not car lengths. Each number is about 1/2 second or slightly more as far as I can tell. It's easy to see this as the follow distance increases with speed keeping the follow time constant.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If the auto braking systems are not reliable, it's a hazard to the person in front of you. It's more than just an individual making a personal judgement on the risk of new technology.

If you don't understand that the AEBS doesn't actually prevent a crash, and that auto-pilot isn't designed to be used in stop-and-go traffic, then you really have no basis for discussing the limitations...

I got Model X 90D in March. About two weeks later, I drove the X to Vegas with my wife and two little girls. After we got on the freeway, I started to use autopilot. The weather condition was great. I set the autopilot at the speed of 80 mph with 5 cars distance. I was very cautious with this Autopilot technology, especially my whole family was in the car, so I kept my eyes on it. It was very amazing when the car drove itself on the freeway at the very beginning, but not too long, I saw the car in front of me was slowing down, but the X continued to accelerate to 80 mph, even though it detected the front car! In the instrument panel, the front car became red and warning beeping sound alarmed, but no sign of auto braking. I immediately brake the car, and fortunately enough to avoid crashing into the front car. It all happened within seconds. My wife called Tesla customer service to report this incident a few minutes later. The service rep on the phone seemed not too surprised and told me he had a similar situation while driving his own S.

We paid $2500 to add autopilot feature, but it's Beta version. When you use beta software in your computer, your computer might crash, not a big deal, you can always restart the computer and uninstall the beta software. But, when the Autopilot is beta, and if it crashes, there is no restart button... Is it Tesla too soon to add autopilot? I think it is.
@micqing - you should correct the title of your post or request the mods so it correctly reflects your issue. From your post it appears the issue you described is with TACC and not AutoSteer function.
It is likely that the car in front that you believe was slowing down was actually stationary even though from a distance you may perceive it to be slowing down. In which case, TACC would not be able to function correctly when your vehicle is over 50mph.

Before reading this thread, I wrote a paragraph in an email today. Here were my summary feelings about the subject:

"Autopilot is amazing, but Tesla changes how it operates and it is getting more cranky if you don’t hold/move the steering wheel properly to indicate that you are paying attention. It’s sudden incorrect actions at times can be scary. Overall it makes driving less stressful and that has been appreciated. It will take a future vehicle to get it right..."

What I didn't mention is how my Model X may occasionally speed up or more often, slow down as the radar is being fooled by vehicles in other lanes on curves or road elevation changes on hills. It does keep this driver alert, even after 6 months of enjoying the "beta" feature.

I used AP for the first time yesterday, the second day owning my Model X. I was nervous at first, but quickly warmed up to the feature. The only real scary moments were when I passed transport trucks (fear based solely on what I've read about poor experiences on TMC). Whenever I passed vehicles towing boats or small trailers AP forced me to take the wheel and I noticed that the car didn't recognize the trailing boat or trailers.

Otherwise it was a lot of fun. I watched a bunch of people filming me with no hands on the wheel.

Reactions: madodel
Even without AP engaged, the TACC would slow the car. What the OP is describing (if true) is TACC behavior, not Autosteer.

TACC activates only when AP is enabled (blue cruise control icon on upper right part of sceeen). The part that auto breaks without AP is AEB and it seems it just slows the vehicle down by 15MPH doesn't necessarily apply full brakes in all situations.. Which is confusing and scary

TACC activates only when AP is enabled (blue cruise control icon on upper right part of sceeen). The part that auto breaks without AP is AEB and it seems it just slows the vehicle down by 15MPH doesn't necessarily apply full brakes in all situations.. Which is confusing and scary

When people talk about AP they generally mean pulling back twice on the stalk so that it activates both TACC and Lane Steering.

When people say they just have TACC enabled they mean they pulled the stalk back once. Where the lane steering component isn't enabled.

I tend to mostly use TACC only, and not the full AP. If I crashed in TACC only mode Tesla would say AP wasn't enabled.

TACC was available before Autopilot was released so it's generally considered to be separate even though it's a component of it.

AEB isn't supposed to activate until a crash is unavoidable. To really test it you pretty much have to crash into something. It's only a crash mitigation system, and won't slow you all the way down.

Last edited:
Something doesn't add up. This has never happened to me in over 10k miles of AP driving. In fact I never had any issues in highway situations although the highest speed I have used AP is 75mph. I would NEVER use it above 75. Also noticed that at 70mph on any semi-decent highway it drives amazingly well perfectly centered reacting to every event around you very well. If someone cuts you close, no issues. It pulls back nicely without any jerky maneuvers. If someone hard brakes in front, no issues.

I am sorry, I can't believe OP here.

I will not be surprised if we see new topics with more sensational titles like:

"my Tesla suddenly took a U turn and went in opposite direction."

how my Model X may occasionally speed up or more often, slow down as the radar is being fooled by vehicles in other lanes on curves or road elevation changes on hills. It does keep this driver alert, even after 6 months of enjoying the "beta" feature.

Years, and years ago I asked a range rover dealer why they didn't have the adaptive cruise control feature on any of the inventory vehicles. He told me straight up that they didn't because they constantly got fooled by vehicles in other lanes on curves. So they thought it was a bigger danger than it was worth.

I think that's partly why I expected it with the Tesla, but it doesn't happen nearly as much as I feared. It does occasionally happen, but it's orders of magnitudes better than what older adaptive cruise control systems did. Also keep in mind that the TACC portion of autopilot is not a beta feature. It wasn't even a beta feature before autopilot was released. No where in the manual does it say TACC is beta.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lerxt and JenniferQ
For Drivin and X Yes, who complain about beta. Just think about it - your favorite auto makers who make there own versions of AP isn't even half as good as Tesla, but they don't call it as beta. Perhaps in software parlance they should be calling it as PoC or unit testing.

They only call Autopilot beta because certain components of it are in beta. The user manual (at least with the S) tells you which components are in beta.

The TACC is not in beta
The Lane Steering of Autopilot is in beta (because they plan on enhancing it)
The AEB is not in beta (you get this without even paying for AP)
The Summons is in beta.

I would argue that the ALL the doors in the Model X are in beta even though the manual makes no such claims. :p

Probably said before, but if your foot is just a litle bit on the accelerator pedal, it won't brake. Kind'a stupid but......
I got Model X 90D in March. About two weeks later, I drove the X to Vegas with my wife and two little girls. After we got on the freeway, I started to use autopilot. The weather condition was great. I set the autopilot at the speed of 80 mph with 5 cars distance. I was very cautious with this Autopilot technology, especially my whole family was in the car, so I kept my eyes on it. It was very amazing when the car drove itself on the freeway at the very beginning, but not too long, I saw the car in front of me was slowing down, but the X continued to accelerate to 80 mph, even though it detected the front car! In the instrument panel, the front car became red and warning beeping sound alarmed, but no sign of auto braking. I immediately brake the car, and fortunately enough to avoid crashing into the front car. It all happened within seconds. My wife called Tesla customer service to report this incident a few minutes later. The service rep on the phone seemed not too surprised and told me he had a similar situation while driving his own S.

We paid $2500 to add autopilot feature, but it's Beta version. When you use beta software in your computer, your computer might crash, not a big deal, you can always restart the computer and uninstall the beta software. But, when the Autopilot is beta, and if it crashes, there is no restart button... Is it Tesla too soon to add autopilot? I think it is.

I am relieved to see that you are located in Washington DC and not in my area because I do not want to be driving on the freeway at 70 and be followed by a Tesla owner who has their TACC distance set at 2. That is far too close. If the car in front of you had to make an emergency stop, by the time you or your TACC could react your frunk would be compressed into the trunk of the car in front of you.
Do you all even realize what 2 or 7 is? It's NOT car lengths - read your manual. It's TIME not distance.

I am relieved to see that you are located in Washington DC and not in my area because I do not want to be driving on the freeway at 70 and be followed by a Tesla owner who has their TACC distance set at 2. That is far too close. If the car in front of you had to make an emergency stop, by the time you or your TACC could react your frunk would be compressed into the trunk of the car in front of you.
Btw just cuz you were so nice about your post and so polite I would be thrilled to drive to your area in AP