Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S & X standard range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lord Farquad

2022 MYLR W/B/20s/Tow bar. Previously 2021 M3SR+
Aug 20, 2021
North West
So Tesla have launched cheaper Model S & X “standard range” in the US. Interestingly they appear to have the same battery as long range models, with locked capacity. In effect they can be used like LFP, in that they can be charged to “100%” daily, as the batteries will actually only be charging to 80%. Then in the future Tesla can sell an upgrade to Long Range models…..

Reactions: Bouba
They’ve done this before, back in the day there was a 60 which was a software locked 75. I wonder if they’ve also limited the performance a little to also differentiate the models? Either way, it’s a bit academic in the uk.
Sadly you’re right.

If only they made RHD and priced them right they’d be on to a winner here.

It’d be nice to see RHD
M3 £35-£55k
MY £40-£60k
MS £60-£100k
MX £65-£110k

Reactions: bighevs
People getting used to these business strategies. Most likely Tesla would offer performance upgrade for the SR S to be purchased.
Software limitation business model does not have a good look for a company that suppose to be the leading EV brand.

People getting used to these business strategies. Most likely Tesla would offer performance upgrade for the SR S to be purchased.
Software limitation business model does not have a good look for a company that suppose to be the leading EV brand.
I think it’s very clever...those wavering on the price know that they can upgrade it later...it might encourage prospective M3/Y buyers to dig just a little deeper....and those looking at nearly new can now go new

In Canda, SR X is $123k. A Polestar 3 will be $100k. No brainer there. Tesla isn't even close, not to mention the luxury tax for >100k. So total cost is $130k + sales taxes. Regardless of the potential ability to unlock battery, I just don't see how this is competitive.

Out the door cost without a trade-in is $113k vs $146,900 for the SR X.

I realize this doesn't apply in markets such as the USA yet, till they start manufacturing them in Tennessee but there's some pretty cool tech on the P3 whereas the X is getting a little long in the tooth.

Will be interesting to track the sales volumes for these 2.