Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S web access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but we know the car's browser is based on WebKit, so this was more of a quick check to see what features were enabled/disabled (e.g. video/audio tags).

I saw on one of the Tesla forums that the car's user agent string was "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; u; Linux; C) AppleWebKit /533.3 (Khtml, like Gheko) QtCarBrowser Safari /533.3".

Based on that it looks like they are using QtWebKit as the base, and most likely running version 2.0, so it is a bit dated:

QtWebKitRelease20 WebKit

wonder if you can lateron install apps from google chrome or the mozilla marketplace!

A bit disappointed that there is no discussion as to WHY Apple email accounts cannot be accessed. Since the Tesla is supposed to be the Apple of cars, you'd think...

As far as i know, there is only one other browser that gives this 'unsupported' page for icloud.com and its CHROME.. and this is through Apple's own doing in their 'war' against Google.

... so could this be Chrome based browser ?

Thanks Lloyd. Just to confirm, you did run this from the car's browser, right? Not from a Mac?

here's an in car screen shot.. shows to be Safari - vendor Apple Computer Inc.

Capture.JPG

Zas,

That was awesome. Looks like the Window size with the browser fully revealed is 1160x1370. When you're next in the car, could you run a screen shot with the Window Size for the half screen browser?

These will be INCREDIBLY HELPFUL for those making web apps for Model S.

Thanks!
David

Zas, Thanks again for the browser specs!!!! I forget all the things I want to check out when I visit a Tesla Store. It will be summer time before I can go out to my garage and check on stuff like this!

If I can stay motivated, I'll have a web app to contribute eventually.

Cheers,
David

This actually shows me some interesting technical info. Let me give a brief history lesson to explain.

There is a Linux desktop environment called KDE. KDE developed its own "widget toolkit" (library code for producing common programming widgets like buttons, scroll bars, tabbed dialogs, yes/no prompts, etc) many years ago called QT (pronounced as "cute"). KDE has always included a browser called Konqueror (all their app names have a K prominent in them). When Apple decided to make Safari, they decided instead of starting with an HTML rendering engine from scratch they would search for and improve an existing system. They chose KHTML, the library behind the HTML rendering in Konqueror. They improved and extended this library and re-released it as WebKit.

WebKit is now the rendering engine behind Chrome and Safari. The most recent versions have the best support for HTML5. It can easily be tied to the v8 JavaScript engine to support complex applications, and I believe this is probably already done in the car's browser if it supports gmail. WebKit has bindings for several languages and widget sets like QT, GTK (another Linux toolkit), Windows and Quartz (the Mac OSX toolkit). Seeing that it uses QtWebKit tells me that the entire UI in the Model S is probably QT-based. That also indicates that it's probably largely written in C++. The graphical parts, not necessarily the underlying system.

I also see from this output that the screen resolution is 1920x1200 (huge!), and that the processor is an ARM 7. I've read somewhere that it's an nVidia Tegra 3 specifically, but I don't remember where I saw that.

This doesn't really change anything I think about the car, it's just cool information to me :)

This actually shows me some interesting technical info. Let me give a brief history lesson to explain.

There is a Linux desktop environment called KDE. KDE developed its own "widget toolkit" (library code for producing common programming widgets like buttons, scroll bars, tabbed dialogs, yes/no prompts, etc) many years ago called QT (pronounced as "cute"). KDE has always included a browser called Konqueror (all their app names have a K prominent in them). When Apple decided to make Safari, they decided instead of starting with an HTML rendering engine from scratch they would search for and improve an existing system. They chose KHTML, the library behind the HTML rendering in Konqueror. They improved and extended this library and re-released it as WebKit.

WebKit is now the rendering engine behind Chrome and Safari. The most recent versions have the best support for HTML5. It can easily be tied to the v8 JavaScript engine to support complex applications, and I believe this is probably already done in the car's browser if it supports gmail. WebKit has bindings for several languages and widget sets like QT, GTK (another Linux toolkit), Windows and Quartz (the Mac OSX toolkit). Seeing that it uses QtWebKit tells me that the entire UI in the Model S is probably QT-based. That also indicates that it's probably largely written in C++. The graphical parts, not necessarily the underlying system.

I also see from this output that the screen resolution is 1920x1200 (huge!), and that the processor is an ARM 7. I've read somewhere that it's an nVidia Tegra 3 specifically, but I don't remember where I saw that.

This doesn't really change anything I think about the car, it's just cool information to me :)

Great insight elreydetodo ! So then why does it not support iCloud.com ?