Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Update: Tesla Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way I can see Tesla going to cf in the near future for the model s (remember it has to cost ~50k and be profitable) is that there is a significant reduction in the price of batteries. SO that the use of CF will help increase range (due to weight loss) without impacting either the price of the model s or Tesla's margins on the S.

This doesn't make sense. Say it costs $10,000 to switch from aluminium to CF, but it reduces the needed battery capacity for the 150 mile range car by 5 kWh. Then it would be economical to use CF if the cost of 5 kWh of battery was more than $10,000.

If the battery price goes down, then it would make less sense to use CF, not more. You'd need either the battery price go up (heaven forbid!) or the CF price to go down.

(Don't take these numbers as correct, I just made them up for the example.)

This doesn't make sense. Say it costs $10,000 to switch from aluminium to CF, but it reduces the needed battery capacity for the 150 mile range car by 5 kWh. Then it would be economical to use CF if the cost of 5 kWh of battery was more than $10,000.

If the battery price goes down, then it would make less sense to use CF, not more. You'd need either the battery price go up (heaven forbid!) or the CF price to go down.

(Don't take these numbers as correct, I just made them up for the example.)

The price of batteries is dropping a lot faster than cf. in 3-5 years it the price of battery could drop 30-40%, the price of cf in 20 years has only dropped 5%-10%. What other manufacter is going to use cf in vast quantities? MB, BMW, Lexus, audi? and at a 50k price pont? Thinking that the price of cf is going to see a significant decrease anytime soon is beyond misguided. There are very few driving forces that are lowering the price of cf (mass production). Using your logic, it will never be worth it use cf.

Last edited:
The price of batteries is dropping a lot faster than cf. in 3-5 years it the price of battery could drop 30-40%, the price of cf in 20 years has only dropped 5%-10%. What other manufacter is going to use cf in vast quantities? MB, BMW, Lexus, audi? and at a 50k price pont? Thinking that the price of cf is going to see a significant decrease anytime soon is beyond misguided. There are very few driving forces that are lowering the price of cf (mass production). Using your logic, it will never be worth it use cf.

Yup. That's the point I was trying to make. I really doubt we'll see CF in anything but the high end any time soon.

Twitter / elonmusk: I love the sight of Teslas ...

View attachment 9177

Twitter / kevinrose: At tesla factory! ...

22fc2fd6ecc911e18dfa22000a1cbb1d_7.jpg