Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trunk Open and Closing randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropping this here in case anyone experiences this in the future. My 2019 Model S just started randomly opening and closing the trunk repeatedly. It wasn’t like a steady consistent pattern, almost like someone hijacked my account and was messing with the trunk via app. I honestly thought my S.O. was playing a weird prank.

I obviously freaked out when I concluded it was an issue with the car. I opened a service ticket and started thinking about any recent OTA updates, and obviously concerned also about the tech competency on the receiving end.

I put the car on the charger in the garage and let it do the trunk dance for a while… since it’s all I could really do after trying the soft reboot. After about 15 min, it stopped.
My only guess at the moment is temperature change. Daily temp jumped from ~70F to 90F. Maybe enough to trigger extra tension on the bump stops for the trunk. I initially though if something like that occurred, it would default to an open state… but the car went haywire and appeared confused on whether to open or close.

Since I’m not familiar with the algorithm… I just wanted to tell you what I saw. Maybe someone will correct me, but I really do hope it is not some electrical/wiring issue.

I’m having the same issue with my model S the trunk opens randomly but only when I’m going to get in it to leave or if I park it and am walking away from the car it’s been going on for the past two months doesn’t happen every day but I’ve had it in service twice and they have not been able to figure out what’s wrong. I’m wondering if anybody has had luck with fixing this malady or if their service center has figured out a consistent fix