Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phrasing is less effective. Meaning it may take longer to get comfortable.

Efficiency, to me at least, would mean something else (perhaps even the opposite of what would be desired).
Yes, you're right. I suppose to be correct it dials UP the efficiency of the climate control by dialing BACK its effectiveness.
:rolleyes:

@rich105 would you mind taking screenshots of the rest of the release notes... That way those of us who are waiting for our updates can drool properly!
Hope I'm not stepping on rich105's toes... but was in the car just now with a camera so I shot all the release notes. Sorry for some that are blurry... had to push to 5000 ISO to get a reasonable shot... flash just blows out the whole screen with reflections!

Model S v4 release notes 001.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 002.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 003.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 004.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 005.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 006.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 007.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 008.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 009.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 010.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 011.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 012.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 013.jpg
Model S v4 release notes 014.jpg

Interesting that range driving mode only deals with cabin controls (or appears to). I would like for it to limit power to a reasonable level, too - say 60 kW - so when I'm trying to conserve I don't have to feather the accelerator on a start.

Interesting that range driving mode only deals with cabin controls (or appears to). I would like for it to limit power to a reasonable level, too - say 60 kW - so when I'm trying to conserve I don't have to feather the accelerator on a start.
Wouldn't be surprised if that came later. There are lots of possibilities.
-Integration with the NAV to anticipate terrain and route and regulate power.
-Attenuation of the cruise control so that it doesn't pour out power for hill climbs too aggressively.
-Automatically minimizing regen so the car will free-wheel (or closer to it) instead of regen on downhills for conservation of momentum.
-less aggressive throttle response, similar to what the Prius does in ECO mode so the driver is less likely to be overly aggressive with the go-pedal.

Any and all of those could be put in via over-the-air updates and I would not be the least bit surprised to see them. It would be nice if each option was independently selectable too.

Throttle response improvement now delivers torque even quicker and minimizes "harshness" of acceleration???
Holy cow!!
Poor Scotty will be rolling in his grave, as he always told the Captain 'I can not break the laws of physics'. Looks like Tesla just has:)
Can't wait to be ale to get this installed...

Yes - thanks Josh! (community effort here - no toes to step on - heck, you saved me work :)

My top question still is whether anyone has benchmarked 0 to 60 time both before and after the update (on the same car of course). Doubtful this can occur in the bay area today as it is *wet*.

All you need to do is not plant your foot! In the Roadster Range Mode only limits you to half power, which is still pretty darn fast.

Obviously the reason why the HVAC Range Mode is needed in the Model S is that you enter the desired temperature on the controls. The Roadster just has old-fashioned more/less heat controls - inconvenient for daily use, but they give you direct control over the power consumption.

I am surprised that they did not simultaneously add a setting to change temperature units and well as distance. They will clearly need Celsius degrees outside the U.S. I wonder how our Canadian car will handle this.

the Audi I am selling to replace with the Model S allows independent setting of all measurement units, which is really helpful since we cross the border all the time. Actually, the Roadster provides this as well.

@goaliemanshark - I am still halfway doubting my own measurement (was solo in car and keeping my eyes on the road and speedometer). Maybe my thumb brushed a little close the timer touchscreen a little early. I don't know. I want to repeat it with a passenger handling the stopwatch details but has been pouring rain since yesterday.

It does feel a bit faster though since the update. Looking for other people's experiences who may be in better climates for 0 to 60 testing.