Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S reliability compared to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone compare S and 3 in terms of reliability? Now I have 2022 3 RWD. I drive a lot - about 30k per year and want to keep the car for many years (that is why is specifically bought a Tesla with an LFP battery). But Model S LR looks very attractive after the recent price cut. However is it a good car for such intense use?

My personal experience is no. My Model S just blew a rear drive unit after only 5K miles, and it's a horrible experience when it fails. The front motor is from a Model 3, but not the rear, and it doesn't seem that uncommon from my searches.

My Jan 2017 model S has almost 104k miles and used in Michigan winters the last few years as well. Original owner.

No major issues yet. I did put in a couple thousand for upper control arm replacement and a couple other parts due to a small rattle and wear after that many miles. I’ve been pleased so far.

Had the 12v battery replaced after the first 18 months under warranty but has been fine since.

Have driven it from Nova Scotia to Florida to Montana and more. Never stranded or anything major.

Can you elaborate a bit on the reason the motor blew, and also more about your driving style? Curious.

Just bang out of no where! Apparently, not as uncommon as the fanboys would like you to believe. There was a new Model X being towed in on dollies at the same time as my car. Everyone from the tow truck driver to the SC advisors knew immediately what was wrong before even looking at the car because they have seen it so many times. I drive my Model S very delicately because I planned to keep it as a long term daily driver. Now I am looking for an early exit!! I haven't had a car leave me stranded on the side of the road since I was in college driving POS hand me downs, which was about 30 years ago. They didn't cost me $100K. And I have owned literally every "unreliable" American and European brand you can name, including their super unreliable exotic brands. The salt in the wound was Tesla Roadside trying to tell me I had to pay for the tow when they screwed up ordering the tow truck!

Last edited:
Just bang out of no where! Apparently, not as uncommon as the fanboys would like you to believe. There was a new Model X being towed in on dollies at the same time as my car. Everyone from the tow truck driver to the SC advisors knew immediately what was wrong before even looking at the car because they have seen it so many times. I drive my Model S very delicately because I planned to keep it as a long term daily driver. Now I am looking for an early exit!! I haven't had a car leave me stranded on the side of the road since I was in college driving POS hand me downs, which was about 30 years ago. They didn't cost me $100K. And I have owned literally every "unreliable" American and European brand you can name, including their super unreliable exotic brands. The salt in the would was Tesla Roadside trying to tell me I had to pay for the tow when they screwed up ordering the tow truck!
What year is your model S and how many total miles? Original owner?

I put 45k miles on a used S and traded it in at 90k miles. No major issues. Rear trunk latch, headlight drls and door handles, most fixed by a Ranger coming to me. Got a few thousand miles on a used '21 I bought, not enough to comment on reliability yet though.

Reactions: m73b54