Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An RWD S85 AP1 car, newly off lease as a CPO would be my choice for the next 2 years until partial FSD arrives.

The full-sized frunk and included supercharging are bonuses. With low mileage the car would be covered until ~100K miles.

The best part being that such cars are available in the $40Ks.

In the case of a new car, waiting until an October surprise is definitely worth doing. Also, since a worst case November 1 order will get delivered by year end, the full federal tax credit will be available.

I am about ready to trade in my S90D for an S100D. Don't know if I should wait until October/November to see if any changes are made.

If you wait until October/November to see if they introduce new features, you could then be tempted to wait until March/April next year, just in case they add more - and repeat the cycle every 6 months.

Tesla doesn't run on a model year - small and large improvements are made whenever they are ready throughout the year.

We faced that concern when we ordered our 2nd Model S last year (a 100D) and the new X 100D we hope to get next month. And in the end, we were comfortable with the configurations we ordered, and even though we know there will be future changes, we didn't want to keep waiting to get the next round of changes.

It's possible there will be a larger battery, though it's also possible they could start using the same batteries as the Model 3, and reduce the cost and weight of the battery packs (making the cars more profitable, with slightly better performance).

We don't know what the V3 Supercharger technology means to the S/X models. Will they need new battery packs to handle faster charging rates? Or will the V3 Superchargers just allow more cars to charge faster when plugged into the A/B stalls?

If you like the S/X configuration today - then order it... If you get into a waiting mode for the next big thing, you'll never be satisfied...

If I were you, I'd wait for a >100kWh battery.

Agreed there. As long as Tesla can finally migrate S to the new 2170 cells, we should expect an immediate net 10-15% increase in range with the same battery platform in SX. Maybe more.

Problem is this may not happen until 2019 or with a major design change in S.

If you like what you see today, buy it. No regrets.

...If you like the S/X configuration today - then order it... If you get into a waiting mode for the next big thing, you'll never be satisfied...

You say that. but we've all been witness to the inevitable anger that lets loose in this forum by all of the folks that just missed the update. It happened with the P85D/AP1, with the facelift, with the P100D / 100D, with AP2, and to lesser degree with some of the more minor updates - like the recent Intel MCU upgrade, uncorked 75Ds, yada yada.

The major update will happen... for sure. And people will be highly upset. The only sure formula for avoiding that situation is to wait for the next major change, and buy then. Much as I'd like a 100D, that's what I'm doing.

I waited over a year (reading this thread while it was very active) and finally decided to order when the MCU2 was discovered.

And then, the graphite interior came and I think my car will not have it (I didn't receive the "upgrade" email and my DS hasn't confirmed that I will have it).

This is the way Tesla works. You will never have the latest and greatest. If you do, it will last a couple of months and then, the next feature will be announced.

I waited over a year (reading this thread while it was very active) and finally decided to order when the MCU2 was discovered.

And then, the graphite interior came and I think my car will not have it (I didn't receive the "upgrade" email and my DS hasn't confirmed that I will have it).

This is the way Tesla works. You will never have the latest and greatest. If you do, it will last a couple of months and then, the next feature will be announced.

True enough. But that only applies to minor changes - like "graphite" or the MCU2 (3 really). Major changes are much less frequent and more significant. It's been quite awhile since AP2 and the nose refresh - which are the most recent major changes. I don't care about the little ones... just the big ones. And so I wait.

You say that. but we've all been witness to the inevitable anger that lets loose in this forum by all of the folks that just missed the update. It happened with the P85D/AP1, with the facelift, with the P100D / 100D, with AP2, and to lesser degree with some of the more minor updates - like the recent Intel MCU upgrade, uncorked 75Ds, yada yada.

The major update will happen... for sure. And people will be highly upset. The only sure formula for avoiding that situation is to wait for the next major change, and buy then. Much as I'd like a 100D, that's what I'm doing.

I've got a 75D Model S that I ordered new and took ownership of last November. Before that I had a 2007 Toyota Rav4... wouldn't you know it less than 2 years after I bought my Rav4 they offered keyless entry and push button start on the 2009's... something I really wanted and would have paid for, but it just wasn't available. There were other changes too... the radio antenna was no longer that long skinny pole on the front hood, it was that sleek looking shark fin on the rear of the roof... the mirrors now had turn signal lights on them too... there were a few more changes beyond that, but those were the biggies. Was I bummed... a little, but that's the way it goes. I think with traditional car manufacturers you know that when you buy a model year then you are almost guaranteed that there won't be any changes at all until the next model year. When Tesla makes an update they go ahead and roll it out... there is no waiting for the next model year. Could there be a change to the Model S soon, yeah there could be (although almost everyone argues that there will be no significant changes until they've got their Model 3 production to where they want it)... but if you like the vehicles they are putting out now why wait? Companies are always coming out with updates/improvements/new features to their products... the only difference between Tesla and the other car companies is that they don't wait to roll them out.

Reactions: Kuhz
I've got a 75D Model S that I ordered new and took ownership of last November. Before that I had a 2007 Toyota Rav4... wouldn't you know it less than 2 years after I bought my Rav4 they offered keyless entry and push button start on the 2009's... something I really wanted and would have paid for, but it just wasn't available. There were other changes too... the radio antenna was no longer that long skinny pole on the front hood, it was that sleek looking shark fin on the rear of the roof... the mirrors now had turn signal lights on them too... there were a few more changes beyond that, but those were the biggies. Was I bummed... a little, but that's the way it goes. I think with traditional car manufacturers you know that when you buy a model year then you are almost guaranteed that there won't be any changes at all until the next model year. When Tesla makes an update they go ahead and roll it out... there is no waiting for the next model year. Could there be a change to the Model S soon, yeah there could be (although almost everyone argues that there will be no significant changes until they've got their Model 3 production to where they want it)... but if you like the vehicles they are putting out now why wait? Companies are always coming out with updates/improvements/new features to their products... the only difference between Tesla and the other car companies is that they don't wait to roll them out.

Everybody's circumstance is different. There are a few things that are huge to me, that might not be so important to others. And I only replace my cars every 3-4 years, so I would kick myself if I missed out:

1. For me, winter range is king. A 115 would come close to what I need. A 150 would be better, but oh well.
2. I want a dual charger. I frikkin hate adapters.
3. I like something different. The 2018s are only very slightly different than my 2014. I'd like the new interior. T

So, I wait. :)

Everybody's circumstance is different. There are a few things that are huge to me, that might not be so important to others. And I only replace my cars every 3-4 years, so I would kick myself if I missed out:

1. For me, winter range is king. A 115 would come close to what I need. A 150 would be better, but oh well.
2. I want a dual charger. I frikkin hate adapters.
3. I like something different. The 2018s are only very slightly different than my 2014. I'd like the new interior. T

So, I wait. :)

Not trying to argue, but you are basically waiting for a car that may never exist. There is no guarantee that Tesla will make a Model S 115 or 150... hasn't Elon said before that the 100kWh will be the largest battery that could be put into the S? Sure... maybe a technology advancement will pack more energy into a smaller space, but there is really no telling when a 115 or 150 might be offered if at all.

Also... what if when they really overhaul the S interior you hate it? They could make it look minimalist like the 3 and not everyone seems to like that... you never know.

If you are replacing your cars every 3 - 4 years maybe a lease would be the way to go... this way you would be refreshing your car and the technology/advancements/changes more often.

There is no harm in waiting, but you may be waiting a while for the next big overhaul. I see you've got a 2014 P85D so hanging onto that baby a year, or two, or ??? isn't going to hurt. Personally I usually hang onto cars for 10 years (that's what I did with my last two) and I plan to do the same with my current Model S... I'm sure by 2027 I'll be trading it in for whatever the Model S looks like then... hopefully it will be a nice design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinot.Noir
Lock in the price now of a P100D before the upcoming trade war/Inflation Dust Bowl-pocaplypse!

Imagine how much you’ll be laughing as you accelerate at 2.5 seconds.... leaving the plundering hordes of the Mad Max dystopian hellscape.... you will be crowned as an overlord of one of the Hunger game sectors for having the foresight to buy the BCOTP (best car on the planet) for what will soon be twenty dollars in all 37 of the remaining United States....

Or, maybe just wait till October.

Lock in the price now of a P100D before the upcoming trade war/Inflation Dust Bowl-pocaplypse!

Imagine how much you’ll be laughing as you accelerate at 2.5 seconds.... leaving the plundering hordes of the Mad Max dystopian hellscape.... you will be crowned as an overlord of one of the Hunger game sectors for having the foresight to buy the BCOTP (best car on the planet) for what will soon be twenty dollars in all 37 of the remaining United States....

Or, maybe just wait till October.

Something is certainly brewing... October seems like a good time to know what might be coming as they've introduced some interesting options towards the end of each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.