Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wound up getting my Piano Black console installed today, by a tech who came to my house to install my Next Gen seats. This was all to be done in mid June, with a trailer ride to a service center, but got pushed up to today. Though my console had not reached the service center yet, they had one they could advance me, since they saw I had ordered one that was on the way.

Overall I am happy with it, though of course I'm still hoping Tesla makes a piece to replace the one piano black piece that will match my car's interior better, even if it is generic, and just matches the rest of the console.

A couple of points for those ordering this, or considering ordering it:

In an irony of ironies, I may wind up leaving the piano black door open (and thus invisible) more of the time than I had planned to, due to flaws in the design of the console. There are two issues. The first issue I was aware of, and thought I had taken care of, but I was wrong. That issue involves the fact that the lightning adapter, as installed, is likely to be too short to work with an iPhone in a case. Knowing that my wife is not going to want to constantly remove her phone from its case, I had purchased this, thinking it would solve the potential problem:

Amazon.com: Case Adapter for iPhone 6, 6 Plus,5/5s/5c, iPad Air and all Lightning Accessories; Female Lightning to Male Lightning Case Adapter that Passes Full Functionality. dockStubz for Lightning by CableJive: Computers Accessories

cablejive.jpg

Well, as it turns out, the door can't open and close properly with that adapter attached to the lightning connector. So that would be one reason to leave the door open more of the time. However, though I haven't tested this on my wife's phone yet, we did test it on the tech's, and discovered that the adapter is likely to stay in the phone, rather than on the lightning connector in the dock, so this may not be a great solution anyway. A better solution, if I can figure out how to do it (I know others have) will be to attempt to modify the dock so that the lightning connector can plug into the phone while the phone is in the case.

Assuming I manage to do the above, there is another issue that anyone purchasing the console should be aware of, though I think this one may be more easily solved. With a typical 12V USB charger, the piano black door won't close! The 12V port is too high. I am attempting to solve that issue by purchasing one of these:

Amazon.com: SCOSCHE USBC242M 12 Watt USB Car Charger for iPhone/iPad/iPod Lightning/Micro - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones Accessories

Scosche_.jpg

It should fit flush into the adapter, and not protrude at all, as in this picture:

scosche inserted.jpg

Assuming it does, the only issue will be the 12V cover, which does extend up high enough to interfere with the closing of the dock cover, but I'm hoping it can be moved down enough, with the charger inserted, to allow the cover to close.

But if we're going to have to be constantly plugging things in and out just to be able to close the cover, I expect the cover will remain open more than I expected it would, hence the irony.

I'll report back on whether or not this particular low-profile USB 12V adapter works or not. I'm looking at 2 port adapters, because I use an android phone and want to be able to leave an android charging cable plugged in as well. Amazon does have at least one other low-profile, 2 port adapter, but I believe someone on TMC had recommended this one, so I went with it. (I don't believe the recommendation had anything to do with it working with the console.)

Last edited:
What does this say about Tesla's never misleading customers...

All -

Thought there was a reason I didn't get the cancellation email.... I was approx. #350 on the waiting list for Obeche Matte:

---------------
Dear Tesla Customer,

Thank you for your patience with the Premium Front Console. A small number of non-Piano Black consoles were produced that passed our quality checks and we are happy to provide you with the opportunity to purchase one of these consoles. We have included the link below for your convenience. There is a limit of one console per customer.

Please carefully select the correct décor and phone dock kit option from the drop-down menu on the product page. The iPhone option is compatible with the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus, or we have a micro-USB option that is compatible with most Android phones where the charge port is located at the base of the phone.

To ensure timely processing, please also remember to include your VIN and select a Service Center location for installation from the drop-down menu on the Cart page. Orders that do not include this information will be delayed. Please note, this is a private link, so we ask that you do not share this link or email with others. Orders placed by those who were not contacted will be cancelled.
--------------------
View attachment 82167

Aaron

What does this say about Tesla's never misleading customers...

Didn't they say that the console manufacturer was having a difficult time passing their quality checks? "A small number of non-Piano Black consoles were produced that passed our quality checks " says to me that they were working with a manufacturer, there were quality problems, and after 100% inspection a few passed that they will make available.

Reality is that this appears to validate that they did work on this, that there were problems - rather than just blowing it off. They've clearly put time into resolving this. It obviously would be a great outcome for everyone had there been enough manufactured - but this post (to me anyway) is consistent with the problems they said they had.

Didn't they say that the console manufacturer was having a difficult time passing their quality checks? "A small number of non-Piano Black consoles were produced that passed our quality checks " says to me that they were working with a manufacturer, there were quality problems, and after 100% inspection a few passed that they will make available.

Reality is that this appears to validate that they did work on this, that there were problems - rather than just blowing it off. They've clearly put time into resolving this. It obviously would be a great outcome for everyone had there been enough manufactured - but this post (to me anyway) is consistent with the problems they said they had.

I appreciate that you want to support Tesla, Bonnie, but this in my opinion, is them going too far in bending the truth.

The email they sent to those of us on the waiting list that were not going to be offered the option to purchase said simply that they were not offering the console in options other than Piano Black. It didn't say they weren't offering it to us, but may be offering it to others. It said simply, we're not offering it.

This is what they said:

"Dear ....,

We have made the difficult decision to offer only the Piano Black Front Center Consoles on Model S. After thorough and repeated testing, other decor options did not meet our standards for quality and long term durability. We apologize for the wait you have experienced. "

But they are offering it. And not to a handful of people. The poster above said he was about 350th on the obeche matte list. There are two other trim options as well. So literally hundreds of people (if not over a thousand people) --ARE-- being offered the console in finishes other than Piano Black.

If the email I quoted from above, taken in combination with what Tesla is actually doing isn't misleading their customers, I'm not sure what is.

I appreciate that you want to support Tesla, Bonnie, but this in my opinion, is them going too far in bending the truth.

The email they sent to those of us on the waiting list that were not going to be offered the option to purchase said simply that they were not offering the console in options other than Piano Black. It didn't say they weren't offering it to us, but may have some to offer to others. It said simply, we're not offering it.

This is what they said:

"Dear ....,

We have made the difficult decision to offer only the Piano Black Front Center Consoles on Model S. After thorough and repeated testing, other decor options did not meet our standards for quality and long term durability. We apologize for the wait you have experienced. "

But they are offering it. And not to a handful of people. The poster above said he was about 350th on the obeche matte list. There are two other trim options as well. So literally hundreds of people --ARE-- being offered the console in finishes other than Piano Black.

If the email I quoted from above, taken in combination with what Tesla is actually doing isn't misleading your customers, I'm not sure what is.

Seriously? I can't have a differing opinion without it only being about me wanting to support Tesla? C'mon.

I read it. And my reaction was 'so they were completely telling the truth'. Different than yours. And my reaction was based on years of working with manufacturing organizations and having had the experience (real experience, not bending the truth to fit a desired outcome) of having to stop something from leaving the facility. I've been yelled at on the job because I've said quality wasn't high enough. And yes, there are times we were able to do 100% inspection and find components that met the bar.

For all we know, the manufacturer said it was impossible for them to meet the quality standards. And sorry, maybe Aaron was #350 on the obeche mat list. Or maybe he was #350 on the non-piano black console list. Two ways to read that. In either case, if a 1000 consoles arrived on the dock, it is very possible there was a 50% rejection rate. And a high rejection rate would mean that if I were running quality (which I have done) that supplier would have been thrown out of our Approved Vendor List.

So please don't insult me with accusing me of just trying to defend them. My opinion is based on real world experience. And I am truly sorry that you're disappointed. I think Tesla handled the whole thing poorly. I think there are far too many really smart & dedicated, but young & inexperienced people (a fault of many tech and Silicon Valley companies) and one probably made the decision and didn't consider consequences. But this determination to make them into liars is stretching the facts to fit a conclusion. Because it HAS to be someone's fault, right?

- - - Updated - - -

And I sincerely doubt that people would have reacted with a 'oh well, only some people are getting what they want - but not me' if the letter had specifically said 'sorry you're not getting one, but others are'.

They were correct. They didn't have one to offer and wouldn't be working with the manufacturer. That's not bending the truth.

Seriously? I can't have a differing opinion without it only being about me wanting to support Tesla? C'mon....So please don't insult me with accusing me of just trying to defend them.

I didn't mean it that way at all, Bonnie. I actually meant it as a compliment. The last thing I'd want to do is insult you, and I am genuinely sorry that you took it that way.

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on most of this.

And I sincerely doubt that people would have reacted with a 'oh well, only some people are getting what they want - but not me' if the letter had specifically said 'sorry you're not getting one, but others are'.

They were correct. They didn't have one to offer and wouldn't be working with the manufacturer. That's not bending the truth.

They could have said only x number met our quality standards. You are higher than x on the waiting list, so sorry, but you won't be getting one." That would have been a heck of a lot more honest than what they said, which was not "we don't have one to offer you", as you wrote above, but rather "We have made the difficult decision to offer only the Piano Black Front Center Consoles on Model S." The implication from that sentence is that it applies to everyone, not just the person to whom the email was sent. They wrote the above knowing fully that they would be offering the console in other trim options to hundreds of people. You see that as honest. I don't. We can agree to disagree.

What there can be no disagreement on is the following: I just went out to the car and looked at my brand new, Piano Black console again, and looked at my Obeche Matte dash, and thought about the hundreds of other people who will have an Obeche Matte finish console, many of whom didn't have to wait six months for their Next Generation seats. My Tesla grin is gone. I don't know if it is coming back.

What there can be no disagreement on is the following: I just went out to the car and looked at my brand new, Piano Black console again, and looked at my Obeche Matte dash, and thought about the hundreds of other people who will have an Obeche Matte finish console, many of whom didn't have to wait six months for their Next Generation seats. My Tesla grin is gone. I don't know if it is coming back.

And I am sorry for that. I do think that the majority of communication mistakes are made as a result of having a lot of smart, good, but inexperienced people in jobs where everyone is just moving too fast. They are still in start up mode and communication gaffes like this, while inevitable, just are inexcusable.

I can give you another example. Remember the screw up over X signature reservations? The people who had their money tied up for a couple of weeks got a nice gift package of Tesla swag. But those of us who have had our money tied up with Tesla for years? We got nothing. I rightfully assumed that the person who'd sent the apology swag out had done so trying to fix the screwup that they'd made. They didn't think about the further consequences of their decision. Unfortunate, but true. (And hopefully this went into their 'experience' column & won't happen again!) In any case, yeah, it left some of us with a 'hey what about ME' feeling. It wasn't handled fairly. But the intent was not to screw anyone over. And I guess that's my point.

Hope you get your Tesla grin back... I suspect you will :)

Wow this just keeps getting worse. While I can appreciate manufacturing and supplier difficulties, I really cannot condone the following:

1) not fixing the issues after *plenty* of allotted time,

2) not being 100% honest with those who patiently waited on the lists (and sorry Bonnie, but I would also define 100% honest as saying what Andyw2100 suggested above, as opposed to what they did say), and

3) just giving up, instead of pursuing this to a good resolution, when they know they have customers waiting.

Having said all this, I still suspect they will soon announce a "next gen" console, perhaps all black or even grey/tan, as a generic option that matches all dash trims. Whether that makes people happy or even angrier remains to be seen.

I don't have much of a horse in this race since I have a CCI, but I was on the Obeche Gloss Waitlist, and received the email telling me that it would not be offered (except for the ones that were offered).

I for one would be fine with that. But this latest development is not awesome.

Yes, and if I have learned one thing in the past few years, is that given enough time, Tesla will make things right. It is like Bonnie says, sometimes there are too many smart people moving in too many directions at once to get everything right the first time. I can certainly live with that, provided they continue to make things right eventually.

Now I just hope they fix the ridiculously over-sensitive brakes on the D cars before my Model X reservation number comes up...

All -

I am sorry for causing all of this ruckus... I believe I was #350 on the overall console wait list - I don't believe they had separate lists for each trim. There is no way to know how many of each of the different trim consoles passed inspection. All I know is that as soon as I heard about the center console in 2013, I called Tesla to put myself on the list and ended up low enough on the list to be offered one.

Aaron

All -

I am sorry for causing all of this ruckus... I believe I was #350 on the overall console wait list - I don't believe they had separate lists for each trim. There is no way to know how many of each of the different trim consoles passed inspection. All I know is that as soon as I heard about the center console in 2013, I called Tesla to put myself on the list and ended up low enough on the list to be offered one.

Aaron

Absolutely no need to apologize. Thanks for being the first to post that you were offered one. (Someone else hinted at it, but then didn't follow through.)

Tesla was actually maintaining separate lists. I know because I had asked for clarification of my order on the list after first being told I was in the thousands. I later learned I was in the seven hundreds, I believe, on the Matte Obeche list. (The exact details are posted in one of the console threads.)

One observation I've had in dealing with Tesla is that sometimes they are just really bad about delivery bad news. When my 85D was delayed because they were having to replace the rear drive unit they avoided telling me that directly. I had to go down to Seattle and ask to see the car in person to get the straight answer. Sometimes I think Tesla does this because they hope to have a problem resolved before you realize there was one. Sometimes they do it because they want to try and soften a blow. I suspect it's all driven by inexperience like bonnie says. But it is a frustrating behavior. No matter what they say there will always be people who are upset, but many people who would be far more understanding end up being more upset when they learn the truth. I think the majority of people would appreciate hearing the truth even if it's bad news.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I just hope they fix the ridiculously over-sensitive brakes on the D cars before my Model X reservation number comes up...

I haven't noticed any issues at all with my 85D

I remember hearing about people complaining that the new brakes were touchy. But I haven't noticed that at all with my 85D. So maybe it's already been fixed.

I haven't noticed any issues at all with my 85D

Oh I am sure if it is what you are accustomed to, it feels normal. But when I drive a P85D and compare its brakes to the feel of my 2012 S85, they are unbearably touchy, to the point of ruining the smooth driving experience I have grown to love. I have never driven an 85D, so maybe it is a P85D thing only. I hope so, as I don't need a P version Model X!

Seriously? I can't have a differing opinion without it only being about me wanting to support Tesla? C'mon.

I read it. And my reaction was 'so they were completely telling the truth'. Different than yours. And my reaction was based on years of working with manufacturing organizations and having had the experience (real experience, not bending the truth to fit a desired outcome) of having to stop something from leaving the facility. I've been yelled at on the job because I've said quality wasn't high enough. And yes, there are times we were able to do 100% inspection and find components that met the bar.

For all we know, the manufacturer said it was impossible for them to meet the quality standards. And sorry, maybe Aaron was #350 on the obeche mat list. Or maybe he was #350 on the non-piano black console list. Two ways to read that. In either case, if a 1000 consoles arrived on the dock, it is very possible there was a 50% rejection rate. And a high rejection rate would mean that if I were running quality (which I have done) that supplier would have been thrown out of our Approved Vendor List.

So please don't insult me with accusing me of just trying to defend them. My opinion is based on real world experience. And I am truly sorry that you're disappointed. I think Tesla handled the whole thing poorly. I think there are far too many really smart & dedicated, but young & inexperienced people (a fault of many tech and Silicon Valley companies) and one probably made the decision and didn't consider consequences. But this determination to make them into liars is stretching the facts to fit a conclusion. Because it HAS to be someone's fault, right?

- - - Updated - - -

+ 1