Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Model S pre-2018) Have you had your eMMC replaced? If not, consider removing pin-to-drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following on from a description of my recent experience in France, recounted on the Europe/UK board.

Quick summary: while driving in a remote part of France, I did a 2-button reboot (because it seemed that I had lost internet connectivity) -- and the result was that the main screen would not restart (I got the spinning wheel of death, repeatedly). I got out of the car to get something from the boot, which meant that the car was now off. But: I couldn't enter the pin (no main screen), which meant that the car was now undriveable. The app wouldn't connect to the car, so I couldn't get going by remote start. A Tesla rep reached by phone suggested that I was going to need to have the car transported to Montpelier (they couldn't connect to the car either).

Eventually, after several hours, the car succeeded in rebooting itself, and so I was able to carry on. I immediately removed pin-to-drive. (Of course I am also refraining from any further 2-button reboots.) But I had spent several stressful hours trying to work out how to get roadside recovery, a very difficult idea for that part of France (Gorges du Tarn).

What I'm leading to is the following suggestion: if you haven't had your eMMC replaced, it might be a good idea to remove pin-to-drive. With pin-to-drive in place, the car can't be driven if the main screen isn't working. In general, the car can be driven without the main screen, but not if the pin can't be entered.

What surprises/concerns me is that this is not advice is not something I have seen Tesla offering. It's not included in their FAQs on this issue. I suppose I'm working with a misunderstanding of some sort -- but now that pin-to-drive is disabled I'm not having any difficulty at all, and I wouldn't anticipate difficulty even if the main screen goes blank.