Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Long Range Disappointment in boominess after Demo Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people reading this thread have boominess, so the sample for this poll will be biased.
Nevertheless, I have boominess and have stock Continental ProCantact RX 25
Who cares about the sample being biased. lol People come on here to see what others have tried and if it made a difference. If someone wants a non biased, scientific poll, they are not coming on this forum. lol I am curious to see if it could be the tires, obviously Tesla does not know how to fix it and it ends up as the customers trying to figure this out, that is why we are all on here..

Who cares about the sample being biased. lol People come on here to see what others have tried and if it made a difference. If someone wants a non biased, scientific poll, they are not coming on this forum. lol I am curious to see if it could be the tires, obviously Tesla does not know how to fix it and it ends up as the customers trying to figure this out, that is why we are all on here..
Actually, it is very very small number of people experiencing compare to the total number of all Tesla owners. Those people are more sensitive to noise or feel, and people notice more since EVs don't have engine noise and vibration. As you mentioned, people with issues with this "boominess" will come here and complain while the majority of owners who don't experience this don't come here and/or complain their non existing "boominess".

Reactions: richyrich
Actually, it is very very small number of people experiencing compare to the total number of all Tesla owners. Those people are more sensitive to noise or feel, and people notice more since EVs don't have engine noise and vibration. As you mentioned, people with issues with this "boominess" will come here and complain while the majority of owners who don't experience this don't come here and/or complain their non existing "boominess".
Some people might not know of the boards to come in here. They might just go to Tesla directly. All of my other cars I have had, I never went to any of the boards even when I had issues b/c the service department would take care of it and it would get done. Tesla service is just not up to par as other service departments that is why the Tesla forums are filled, IMO.

OP said that the boom was quite subtle, and it bothered him most when he closed his eyes and focused on it.
So many others have posted that they noticed no boom at all. Others said that they found easy and inexpensive fixes for those sensitive to the sound.

It could just be that this is something more apparent in SUV/hatchback designs. More interior open space to magnify the boom.
See no owners of Model 3 complaining about boom.

I have an X with automatic noise surpression. Hear no boom in the front seats, but just a little bit in the rear (middle) seats on certain roads. Just turning on the radid makes it inaudible to me.

My new 23 MYP exhibited buffeting and booming. 90% resolved with the vinyl tube trick!

If you’re experiencing ear pressure or fatigue, I recommend installing the vinyl tubing into your hatch gasket. Makes a huge difference.
Well, things were great until I decided I didn’t like the gaps on the hatch. I noticed that the hatch’s striker was off-center and pulling the otherwise centered hatch off-center on close. Ezpz, move the striker, right? While I’m at it, maybe I should move the striker down too, right? Gaps were perfect but buffeting came back with a vengeance.

Ended up moving the striker back and adding rigid bump stops. Things are back to bearable now but my gaps are atrocious.

Are additional gaskets on the hatch worth doing for noise reduction?

Well, things were great until I decided I didn’t like the gaps on the hatch. I noticed that the hatch’s striker was off-center and pulling the otherwise centered hatch off-center on close. Ezpz, move the striker, right? While I’m at it, maybe I should move the striker down too, right? Gaps were perfect but buffeting came back with a vengeance.

Ended up moving the striker back and adding rigid bump stops. Things are back to bearable now but my gaps are atrocious.

Are additional gaskets on the hatch worth doing for noise reduction?

Moving the striker down made it worse for me as well. Counter intuitive right?

Are the gaps worse than other door panels? Don't forget this is a door gap which is different than a regular panel gap. It's unrealistic to expect that it should be super minimal.

Extra gaskets along the hatch are mostly just useful for reducing dirt and who knows maybe some wind penetration noise.

Reactions: Brown1428
Moving the striker down made it worse for me as well. Counter intuitive right?

Are the gaps worse than other door panels? Don't forget this is a door gap which is different than a regular panel gap. It's unrealistic to expect that it should be super minimal.

Extra gaskets along the hatch are mostly just useful for reducing dirt and who knows maybe some wind penetration noise.
A loose 5.5mm at the widest. About 5mm on the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 104