Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model S Plaid With Yoke Steering Wheel Spotted Near Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A Tesla Model S Plaid was spotted near the company’s Fremont factory last week, signaling that the top-of-the-line sedan may be ready for deliveries soon. 

Twitter user @BLKMDL3 shared the photos, featuring a Midnight Silver Metallic Model S with a Plaid badge. He said the car also featured a yoke steering wheel, a design that is reportedly under review by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Plaid will have 390 miles of range, pack 1,100 horsepower, travel 0-60 mph in less than 2 seconds, and a top speed over 200 mph. Chief Executive Elon Musk said last week that the Model S Plaid will be Tesla’s “best car ever.”

The new photos show the Plaid edition’s updated exterior, featuring a wider body intended to improve the driving experience for the high-performance sedan. 

With several sightings of Plaid cars around Tesla’s factory in recent months, it seems Tesla is close to a production version of the vehicle. The Model S Plaid starts at $119,990.

Last edited by a moderator:
The yolk steering wheel is crap. Many of us drive with one hand at 12 o'clock ALL THE TIME. They need to make it an OPTION, nothing more.
Neh, it's just a way to weed out any non-believers (in Elon). Elon doesn't want customers who think for themselves, only ones who will believe anything he tells them, like that they car is really an investment because it will be worth $200K or more by end of 2020. Anyone pointing out that a square wheel doesn't make too much sense, or that 2020 is in the past - well, Elon doesn't want you as a customer, too high maintenance. ;)

The yolk steering wheel is crap. Many of us drive with one hand at 12 o'clock ALL THE TIME. They need to make it an OPTION, nothing more.
Could not agree more. If there is no option for a full steering wheel I’m going to Lucid. Or back to Mercedes. Or anywhere but Tesla. I love my S, in my 2nd one now.

This entire yolk concept is eggceptionally bad. (So’s the pun).

I have been contemplating my first Model S and wanted to place an order this week (my current lease with MB is up in September) but the yoke has made me hesitant. I online chatted with a rep this morning and she told me there are "no plans to have a traditional steering wheel." Still, I hear elsewhere that a regular wheel is possible. I don't imagine I would ever want a yoke.

I find it interesting how people are so adamantly against this yoke steering. I doubt those same people have every really operated any machinery with said yoke steering. Not a big deal to me, you hold the yoke and turn in the direction you want to go. If we really are gearing towards a self driving future, then our hands won't even be on the yoke 99% of the time anyways.

Tesla may be the first (non-Formula 1) auto manufacturer to employ yoke steering, but they show up in Mercedes and Lexus concept EVs as well. I, for one, don't see an issue here - except for perhaps a learning curve. I thought us Tesla owners were excited by new gadgetry (hey, we bought Teslas didn't we?). I'm in my 70s and looking forward to getting an S with the steering yoke (cant call it a wheel, right?). This old dog loves learning new tricks!

I find it interesting how people are so adamantly against this yoke steering. I doubt those same people have every really operated any machinery with said yoke steering. Not a big deal to me, you hold the yoke and turn in the direction you want to go. If we really are gearing towards a self driving future, then our hands won't even be on the yoke 99% of the time anyways.
I went ahead and ordered the car anyway. As a matter of fact, I have operated machinery with a yoke. My hesitation is related solely to emergency driving circumstances. Of course we can all get used to anything, but what happens when the unexpected happens? When you need to react instinctually? When something outside your control happens and you go for that wheel that isn't there? A couple of seconds worth of a mistake can make a huge difference.

I thought of all that and said f**k it and ordered it anyway! 🤣

Reactions: captanzuelo
I am so happy to have puchased my S Long Range Plus with the conventional steering wheel. What concerns me most about the new steering wheel is that position of my hands will be rather low putting a bit of stress on my shoulders on long trips. I now place my hand at the 10 and 2 o’clock position which enables me to test and take the load off my shoulders.

I am so happy to have puchased my S Long Range Plus with the conventional steering wheel. What concerns me most about the new steering wheel is that position of my hands will be rather low putting a bit of stress on my shoulders on long trips. I now place my hand at the 10 and 2 o’clock position which enables me to test and take the load off my shoulders.
Didn't your SA tell you with FSD, you won't need to use the steering wheel?

S/