Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets extension of warranty for 8 Years to Drive Units and Roadster ignored

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...... when a Roadster's ESS fails, its not the whole pack its usually a brick or a sheet that's gone bad. I've heard of $4000 for a repair and giving a new sheet with labor, so that's not bad. When Tesla does honor a warranty, they replace the pack with a refurbished pack.

....... I too love to learn why things fail, enjoy making them better, and personally find it rewarding when everything works out and runs as good or better than new.

Like you, I like to try and learn about, and to fix my own stuff. I'd dearly love to see the workshop manual/construction details for the ESS, so that I could replace a bad brick, or ultimately replace all the cells/bricks for better ones in the future.

My worry is that recently Tesla seem to be so reluctant to either fix batteries, replace cells, OR release any technical info on how to do this [Ref Kevin Sharpe's experience in the UK . It appears that there are few/no spare ESS or sheets (or Bricks/cells) at Tesla to repair failing ESS's. Kevin has been unlucky (inspite of paying $22K for UK extended warrantee !) in that his ESS has developed a problem just when Tesla cant help... resulting in his car off the road for weeks ! and no loaner. This, IMHO, is not really in the spirit of Tesla's aim: " ...... envisioned as 'the world's best service and warranty program.' )

Whilst I can understand that keeping 'historic' roadsters on the road does not add much to the share price, and that the 400 mile pack is still vapourware - wouldn't it be good if Tesla installed even prototype 400 mile packs on any Roadsters with failing ESS's, between now and when the new 400 mile ESS's are actually available ? ..... Getting both goodwill AND real world testing in one move.

I hear such praise for Tesla and their service on this thread, especially from US owners, BUT, any one of us Roadster owners could be in the same situation next week if one of our bricks goes down, or we get an ESS related problem .. leading to our car being off the road for weeks with little hope of getting a swift repair.

Last edited:
...I hear such praise for Tesla and their service on this thread, especially from US owners, BUT, any one of us Roadster owners could be in the same situation next week if one of our bricks goes down, or we get an ESS related problem .. leading to our car being off the road for weeks with little hope of getting a swift repair.

Not quite... Some of us are CPO owners and have another two years left on the bumper to bumper... But feel for you guys and know that it could happen to us as well... Eventually... (First year is at the beginning of September.)

Not quite... Some of us are CPO owners and have another two years left on the bumper to bumper... But feel for you guys and know that it could happen to us as well... Eventually...
We too have bumper to bumper extended warranties in uk. I've got one on my car. They cost $22k for 3 years to extend the original warantee to a maximum of 6 years.... The point is these don't necessarily cover all ESS problems, as Kevin has found ... YOU or I could have our cars out of action, tomorrow.

Last edited: