Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, my wife went hunting for it and came back with the Impala cover, my guess, from the shots above, is that retail outlets get Impala, subscribers get Model S (that's mostly based on the big space for an address, and the fact I've looked everywhere for the non-Impala cover).

Nicely summarized:
There isn't even a "Start" button. If you have the Tesla's car-shaped key fob in your pocket and your butt is in the driver's seat the car -- quite reasonably -- assumes you want it to turn on. So it does..It runs in "Accessory" mode, allowing you to use the computer screens and listen to the stereo, until you push down the brake pedal. Then the speedometer and other driving gauges appear and the car is ready to roll.

Yeah, my wife went hunting for it and came back with the Impala cover, my guess, from the shots above, is that retail outlets get Impala, subscribers get Model S (that's mostly based on the big space for an address, and the fact I've looked everywhere for the non-Impala cover).
That's what I'm seeing too. Poor decision IMO. They lost out on at least 2 sales (to me). Is there anybody on the planet that really finds an Impala cover even mildly interesting? I guess I should read the article and see if there's anything actually interesting about the vehicle.

It's weird, but their logic must have been that subscribers will get what they're mailed (no choice), but the Impala carries more shelf appeal. I don't get it, I doubt I'll ever read about the Impala, but according to wiki it goes back to 1958, so there's some legacy there that some will be interested in.

So in the 2060s, they'll put Model S on the cover for nostalgia reasons rather than something actually newsworthy? I still don't get it.

When they do an extended review Model S will probably get a cover all to itself. In the mean time, this could just be backscratching for GM and it's fans. Most of the actual circulation is to subscribers, so GM is getting the consolation prize.

Anyone interested in the Tesla cover can probably call the magazine and special order it.

Ugh. I folded like a lawn chair and ebay'd the Motor Trend Model S cover issue for $6. Feels like a part of history I want to hold on to.

I honestly would have bought two at the B&M if they had the Model S cover. They still got my money for the Impala cover but they could have gotten more sales. Can't even remember the last time I got a physical magazine.

Ugh. I folded like a lawn chair and ebay'd the Motor Trend Model S cover issue for $6. Feels like a part of history I want to hold on to.

I honestly would have bought two at the B&M if they had the Model S cover. They still got my money for the Impala cover but they could have gotten more sales. Can't even remember the last time I got a physical magazine.
Heh, I was tempted to but I held off. For now at least.

I suspect the link will be flaky but you can probably find your way from it nonetheless...
Source Interlink Media :: Magazine Store
Back issues appear to run $4.99

Heh, I was tempted to but I held off. For now at least.

I suspect the link will be flaky but you can probably find your way from it nonetheless...
Source Interlink Media :: Magazine Store
Back issues appear to run $4.99

Thanks for the link. Full price is $4.99 + at least $3 shipping. Ebay person I bought it from was $3 + $3 shipping. A part of me feels a little better for not sending my second purchase directly to them since the more readily available issue wasn't the Model S cover.

consumersearch: Hands-on with 2013 Tesla Model S

The most lasting impression left by the Tesla Model S is perhaps the most important. The element that has people interested and excited is that it's an electric car, and that's understandable. But after a few minutes driving it, you forget about the green angle entirely and realize that the Model S is a good car, period. Maybe it's even a great car; that much will be determined over time. But I know that after getting a taste of what it has to offer, I feel a little jealous of the owners waiting to take delivery. It's an enviable ride.

Last edited:
opportunity consoles?

Okay, you'll have to type slower so us less advanced readers can keep up... :wink:

I guess I'm saying that I don't recall Tesla actually indicating locking storage between the seats was on the radar. But I've been proven wrong in the past, and likely many times in the future! :biggrin:

Given the "key" to the car, not sure how that would even work...

My wife's RAV4 has keyless ignition, but has a metal shank you can extract from the key fob to lock the glove box. Is that what Tesla is proposing, or some other locking mechanism?