Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are going with the "mini touchscreens", I really hope they're configurable. I absolutely need defroster and defogger (not to mention lights) to be instantly accessible without looking, and the Californians at Tesla don't seem to be thinking that way.

interior.png

Center console Model X Concept

After Ratings Drop, Ford Reworks Touch Screens

More reasons not to partner with Microsoft!

David Champion, the senior director of auto testing for Consumer Reports, said improving the software should resolve some customer issues, but he said he believed a touch screen would always be harder for drivers to use than traditional knobs and switches, even if it looked more exciting to shoppers.

“It’s an idea that I don’t think really belongs in a car to a certain extent,” Mr. Champion said. “It is a very complex system that they’ve put in, that works great if you’re in a showroom and not having to look where you’re going.”

Hmm.... not too sure what rating Consumer Reports would give the Model S...

But a year later, Mr. Hiner, now a stay-at-home father, has run out of patience with MyFord Touch, having taken the car repeatedly to his dealership for help, to no avail. He said the navigation system often malfunctioned, the rearview camera frequently stayed on while the vehicle was moving forward and the system randomly rebooted.

vfx would call that a feature! ;)

Another change moves the switch for controlling the heated seats onto the home screen. Previously, a driver had to press the screen several times to reach the correct menu option.

Ford is adding MyFord Touch as an option to seven more models this year. In doing so, it addressed another common problem that current owners cannot fix with new software: a touch-sensitive area under the touch screen that activates the hazard lights has been replaced with a mechanical button, because Ford learned that drivers were inadvertently turning on the hazard lights as they rested their hand while waiting for the system to respond.

Tesla has gotten these right already.

Last edited:
BTW, the rearview camera on the Roadster can be turned on when the car is moving forwards. (My daughter thinks it's really cool to see the cars behind us disappearing!) Wouldn't surprise me if this facility is on the Model S also.

Note: That's on the 2.5 with the Alpine head unit.

BTW, the rearview camera on the Roadster can be turned on when the car is moving forwards. (My daughter thinks it's really cool to see the cars behind us disappearing!) Wouldn't surprise me if this facility is on the Model S also.

The 2.0's JVC unit can do that too (although you have to install your own camera).

Did we have consensus on whether Tesla's built-in Wi-Fi antenna can act like a "slave" and tether to a mobile hotspot (such as from a smartphone, gadgets like Mi-Fi or the new iPad)?

That model makes more sense to me than paying for a Tesla mobile connectivity plan coupled with a built-into-the-Model-S 4G LTE/3G modem and using the Model S's hotspot for "slave" Wi-Fi-only iPads etc. I can take my 4G-capable iPad literally anywhere but not the 4G-capable Model S.

I was told by a Tesla rep at the Boston beta event recently that the Model S could use a WiFi network when one was available, e.g. parked in one's driveway. So, setting up a smartphones as a WiFi hub, or using the Novatel MiFi, should work. I'd love to have someone who knows about these things discuss how to set up an iPhone to act as a WiFi hub.

I was told by a Tesla rep at the Boston beta event recently that the Model S could use a WiFi network when one was available, e.g. parked in one's driveway. So, setting up a smartphones as a WiFi hub, or using the Novatel MiFi, should work. I'd love to have someone who knows about these things discuss how to set up an iPhone to act as a WiFi hub.

You can probably tether to the Model S, that would be the simplest way.

Early on, when I first drove my Roadster in heavier traffic (Greater Toronto Area), I did turn the rear view camera on a few times when traffic was crawling along, stop & go...I found it acted as a "security blanket" because it helped out with the blind spots when changing lanes...