Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S creep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was no creep when I started the drive. I put the car in drive and had to step on the accelerator to move forward. Regen worked when as I took my foot completely off the accelerator when approaching a red light. It took me to the 3 stop to get the timing right. My Tesla rep set my regen down to 30 from 60 and the regen brakes were not applied as hard. He also soften the power steering from it's stiffest and I felt different. The stiffest setting definitely feels more sporty. After coasting to a stop, I had to step on the accelerator to move the car for me.

In the Engadget video review, the Tesla rep accompanying on the test drive said that there is no creep on the Model S.

I saw a video where the Model S was creeping! There seems to be either a misunderstanding about what it means to creep or there are settings that can be adjusted to disable it. I want to now which is it?

EDIT: This was the video that popped the question in my mind for me from Engadget, video time stamp is 7:15 Regen settings options was described as "manual" and "automatic" settings and therefore as an automatic it may allow for more creep. This inquiring mind wants to know!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm_cTd4t-uY

Side note, good break test on that video at 10:40 from 100MPH to almost about 10 miles an hour I estimate?

Last edited:
My guess is that it's off by default then and maybe it is user adjustable. We'll know for certain soon. Thanks for looking into it. Can't wait to drive the Model S for the first time myself at some point.

As someone who drives a stick I can assure that sometimes when you let off the brake your car will 'creep'. They are called hills and they are very very hard to judge when in a vehicle.

I am sure there is a lot of confusion going on with just rolling down hills.

I am not saying anyone is wrong but when I here this "When I let off the brake the car went forward therefore it has creep." I cringe.

I am not saying anyone is wrong but when I here this "When I let off the brake the car went forward therefore it has creep." I cringe.

I haven't driven a stick in a while, but as someone who has drive automatic's for the last 10 years, you really REALLY get used to the creep, it's a parking lot creep speed at max, maybe 3 to 4 miles an hour. Not sure how it is in the Model S, but I'll find out! ;)

I haven't driven a stick in a while, but as someone who has drive automatic's for the last 10 years, you really REALLY get used to the creep, it's a parking lot creep speed at max, maybe 3 to 4 miles an hour. Not sure how it is in the Model S, but I'll find out! ;)

No I meant that these people are used to creep. They don't think that an imperceptible hill would cause their car to roll forward. They just assume it is creep, not gravity doing its thing.

No I meant that these people are used to creep. They don't think that an imperceptible hill would cause their car to roll forward. They just assume it is creep, not gravity doing its thing.

OH, LOL, thanks for clarifying! Yes, I am very familiar with gravity and the effects of it on a car, especially one like the Model S at ~4,700lbs. but then that regen gives you free energy for that naturally occurring effects of gravity on a car pointed downhill. Or up for that matter, which brings me to another question, how does the Model S react on hills, steep hills like in San Francisco? I'll ask that too!

I had this thread in mind when I test drove today. So when I first let off the brake pedal I waited... and noticed the car started creeping forward. I said out loud "oh it does creep" and the TM co-pilot said "you can turn off the creep if you don't want it".

I had this thread in mind when I test drove today. So when I first let off the brake pedal I waited... and noticed the car started creeping forward. I said out loud "oh it does creep" and the TM co-pilot said "you can turn off the creep if you don't want it".

Nice, it would be nice if that and other "settings" would be incorporated into the memory function. I know I'll prefer sport steering and no creep, while my wife will most likely be different. I really will get tired of changing these every time I get behind the wheel and vice versa when she does.

Nice, it would be nice if that and other "settings" would be incorporated into the memory function. I know I'll prefer sport steering and no creep, while my wife will most likely be different. I really will get tired of changing these every time I get behind the wheel and vice versa when she does.

I was thinking the same thing. Same goes for steering resistance and regen I would imagine.

It should remember your favorite pano roof position on a sunny day. And your temperature settings. And which stations you prefer in the morning versus the evening. And ...

Or maybe, at least for V1, we can be happy they actually delivered the vehicles at all. ;)