Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60D upgraded for free to 75?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes charge it to 100% and let it sit plugged in for a while to give the BMS time to balance. At least that is the speculation, but at the least do a 100% charge from a low discharge state.

Yes. Agree with above. Now you have s chance on a 60 to do it!

I believe balancing kicks in at 93%. Not sure what happens on a software locked car.

Some have reported the SvC has charged to true 100% for them to balance.

I am still not pleased about the 3% battery degradation after 5 months and only 9K miles. I lost 2 miles overnight the other week when I ran down to 1%. Charging to 90% that evening yielded a loss of 2 miles - they had immediately disappeared.​

You do realize the BMS constantly adjusts estimated range based on driving conditions. My miles went up over time.

This is a magnificent thing Tesla has done!

With thousands of people getting on the road to uncertain destinations, escaping one of the largest storms in history, giving them an extra 20% of range might will take a lot of anxiety out of their situation.

Tesla...it drives like no other.

haha technically this is a great PR move since it cost them a total of $0 (okay maybe 1/2 a cent per car to send a wireless data signal) but a lot to gain :]

glad someone at tesla thought of it anyway.
An opportunity cost is not $0. On top of that take into account that someone had to implement such an update - then take into account possible issues/complaints from such an upgrade (People have claimed an update damaged their screen - cause software bugging, etc).

This is a good gesture and Tesla should be applauded for it.

I know battery degradation is high during the first thousands of miles, but quick losses like this most recent are painful.​
A bit off topic, but just a quick note. I was Supercharging at around 10% up to 90% once a week for a while. I was losing 1 RM each time (per week). So, with about 10K miles and 9 months I have 4% degradation. Believe me, I feel your pain. Since stopping that two months ago I've not lost any RM. I've keep my SOC between 60%-90%, which is my typical commute. Is it the low State Of Charge (SOC), or heat from the SC going from 10% to 90%, or my 90 battery with different chemistry? I don't know. However, whenever I asked someone that posted they had a low (or no) degradation, I asked about their level of discharge. All told me they keep a high SOC (80%-90%). And one of those persons had a 90 battery. So maybe not battery chemistry.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Email received from Tesla Saturday evening:

Exceptional Circumstances in Florida​

We at Tesla hope that you and your loved ones are safe while preparing for the hurricanes approaching Florida.

Due to these exceptional circumstances, and to help you better prepare to evacuate and get to safety, your vehicle has been adjusted at no cost to you to temporarily access the additional battery capacity until September 16th. You will notice the badging on the instrument cluster will read 75 during this period. We hope that this allows you to travel to your next destination with confidence and ease.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact Tesla Customer Support at (877) 798-3752 or [email protected].

Best regards,

The Tesla Team​

This was posted to our TMC facebook, yesterday.

Eric Johnson

"From my Model X 60D. Love Tesla"
21457796_10209825543450667_6707242041170554971_o.jpg