Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Width

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that your 76.1" width for the Model 3 includes mirrors, while the Prime width you used did not.

Prius Prime length / width / height (excluding mirrors): 182.9 / 69.3 / 57.9 in [1]
Model 3 width / height (excluding mirrors): 184.8 x 72.8 x 56.8 in [2]

The Prius is 99% the length, 95% the width, and 102% the height. In terms of frontal area, the Prime has 97% the frontal area of the Model 3.

Overall the Prius has 97% the frontal area of the Model 3.

It appears that the overall drag between the two cars is very similar on paper.

I see your source is Motor Trend, unfortunately their figure differs from the official specs published on tesla.com, which show that the Model 3 width is 76.1 mirrors folded and 82.2 mirrors extended.

Your widths are from the Model S.

The Model 3 is 72.8" wide mirrors folded 76.1" mirrors out.
Press Kit | Tesla

The Model S is 77.3 mirrors folded and 86.2 extended.

Motor Trend's specs appear to be off of the press kit, but go to the Model 3 section of the tesla.com web site and this is what they show:

specs.png

The original press kit said:

Width: 72.8” (76.1” with mirrors folded)

My guess is that somebody in the press office noticed that didn't make any sense and "corrected" it, but the typo was that 72 should have been 82, not that the figures were reversed. The Mirror extended width being 3.3" wider than the mirror folded width would mean that the mirrors only stick out about 1 1/2 inches on each side, which doesn't really make any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Your widths are from the Model S.

The Model 3 is 72.8" wide mirrors folded 76.1" mirrors out.
Press Kit | Tesla

The Model S is 77.3 mirrors folded and 86.2 extended.

Motor Trend's specs appear to be off of the press kit, but go to the Model 3 section of the tesla.com web site and this is what they show:

View attachment 240676

The original press kit said:

Width: 72.8” (76.1” with mirrors folded)

My guess is that somebody in the press office noticed that didn't make any sense and "corrected" it, but the typo was that 72 should have been 82, not that the figures were reversed. The Mirror extended width being 3.3" wider than the mirror folded width would mean that the mirrors only stick out about 1 1/2 inches on each side, which doesn't really make any sense.

From the Model 3 press kit (copied hot off the web-page):

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Dimensions & Weight
  • Length: 184.8”
  • Width: 76.1” (72.8” with mirrors folded)

As a sanity check I went back to the motor trend piece when they did the analysis of the alpha and it says:
"Although exact dimensions aren’t available, our estimates suggest it’ll be a 90 percent scale Model S—6 percent shorter, 4 percent narrower, but about a similar height."
Tesla Model 3 In-Depth - Exclusive Photos and Analysis
Given the Model S is 77.3 mirrors folded and 86.2 extended, that works out to ~74.2 folded, ~82.7 extended for Model 3. I would say @gregincal's numbers are closer and his analysis makes sense.

I wonder how to contact Tesla about corrections to their press kit.

• Helpful
Reactions: RyanS
I thought "model 3 press kit" meant official tesla info. I guess I need to read everything.
Well, it was written my humans and humans make mistakes. As noted there was originally a typo where 82.8 was written as 72.8. Then someone "corrected" that by flipping the numbers for "folded" and unfolded instead of checking and actually correcting the numbers.

Made? It's still there is my point. Clearly they have active conflicting information on their website.

Yes, they do. And the posts above show why it's almost certain that the press kit is incorrect and the Model 3 specifications page is correct.

As you originally noted, the press kit specifications don't even make any sense, with mirrors that extend only a teeny tiny bit, and the press kit as originally released was definitely wrong (look at the first post of Model 3 specs).

For the Model 3 specifications just go to the Model 3 section of tesla.com and scroll down.

Scroll to bottom of page:
Model 3

Yes, they do. And the posts above show why it's almost certain that the press kit is incorrect and the Model 3 specifications page is correct.

As you originally noted, the press kit specifications don't even make any sense, with mirrors that extend only a teeny tiny bit, and the press kit as originally released was definitely wrong (look at the first post of Model 3 specs).

For the Model 3 specifications just go to the Model 3 section of tesla.com and scroll down.

Well that's the problem. It doesn't show on mobile version and tesla won't allow "show desktop". So I'll concede even though the only info tesla shows me on mobile is incorrect.