Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trade in value...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I am (thinking of) trading in my 2018 Model 3 Long Range, AWD, EAP, Black with only 6200 miles on it for a X.

I received a value for it, from Car Max for $40,000.

That's (after rebates) a loss of about $13,000 for under 5 months and 6,200 miles.

Does that seem accurate to people here?

My other option is a private sale, where given the taxes, I'd need at least $46,000 and an 'easy' sale to make it worth my time.

Would a 3 sell fast at that price? I don't want to carry 2 car loans any longer than I need to... Just hate losing so much money so fast... I thought I'd have this thing at least another year or two... but found an inventory X that had my name on it.

thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-20 Tesla Account Tesla.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-20 Tesla Account Tesla.png
    257.3 KB · Views: 190
So, after forcing me to drive to carmax to get the 'paper' appraisal because the email from them was not good enough, Tesla is saying they won't match carmax for tesla's. even though it's a pass though. #asshats.

I was approved for a loan for the new, regardless of my current car. Guess I'll have two tesla's until I sell mine private or carvana...

you'd think they'd help you out a bit, given that this is our FIFTH tesla...

carmax doesn't know how to value teslas. if they do, then they are just under appraising them to make a substantial profit margin. i also brought my P3D- with 2k miles to them (EAP and FSD paid for) and they also valued it at exactly $40k, half of what I paid out the door. i find it amusing how some people on here are like, "oh just take it to carmax". have they ever taken their tesla to carmax? o_O

i ended up finding a private buyer on facebook group "Teslas For Sale By Owner". didn't have to pay any listing fees like ebay, autotrader, or onlyusedtesla. listing on here gathered nothing but peanut gallery trolls accusing me of trying to turn a profit.

Yeah, I was just concerned about being approved for two huge car loans at the same time. I guess I'm thankful for easy lending? lol. I'll sell my 3 once my X is in my garage. I'll post it for sale once I have a delivery date.

@SabrToothSqrl inventory gets free supercharging as of today

I saw that, thank you. It's nice, but I'm good with the 5,000 miles or even none. It's something I might use once or twice a year at most.

I decided to order new based on the 'new' pricing. I will use a new suspension and motor everyday, vs. and extra 45 miles of range. I was used to <265 in my original Model S.... 250 will do me just fine :).

Yeah, I was just concerned about being approved for two huge car loans at the same time. I guess I'm thankful for easy lending? lol. I'll sell my 3 once my X is in my garage. I'll post it for sale once I have a delivery date.

i was also concerned about this. i had the 3 and X loaned from the same bank. then as I was selling the 3, i preapplied for our second X and the bank people were seriously like 3 teslas? :eek:

luckily i was approved without issues hehe

I am in the same boat - I think you have to compare it to a new car rather that what you paid for it.

Tesla has been making more standard and lowering prices all around

A brand new 2019 Model 3 Long Range Black FSD is only $55,900 and they come with new computer and $3,750 tax credit

So around $52k for a brand new version of your car. I think the carvana is a good deal.

I was thinking of getting another X and had found a P100D L for $99,100 that was being discounted $20k for current S and X owners as ludicrous was being given for free. So $79,100 for a demo P100DL with 3400 miles, 6 seat, black exterior/white interior and Full self drive. I was going to upgrade my 3 LR RWD but held off after I learned how badly the 3 had depreciated. Paid $61k after taxes for my white LR RWD w/ EAP and was being offered $36k from shift, $38k from Carvana. Even after rebates it was over $15k lost in a year which was worse than my BMW 435i. Too much depreciation to take for a car we like and couldn't justify the upgrade difference. Will keep the 3 and probably upgrade the X75D in a few years after we are able to sell it due to being a section 179 vehicle.

Anywhere you go, unless they are stupid or trying to scam you, you are going to get a lot less for your car than a private sale. Not only do they want to make money, but they don't want that car sitting on their lot wasting time, cash flow, and space. If you don't care about a the difference, by all means, that is a quick way to get some money for your car. But if you want to get anywhere close to what it's worth... better off selling it privately.

I will be selling my 2013 Audi Q5, that I bought new, via private sale. Every car dealer was offering about $5K lower (or less) than what it is worth, especially since mine is immaculate and has some value added extras. I can also afford to maintain two cars for a while if needed, but expect it to sell fairly quickly. It will also be nice that I can get my new Model X detailed and fully wrapped and still have something to drive until then. ;)