Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 totaled in accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it's always been that way. They do collect a few seconds of still images from the front camera along with the statistics collected in those few seconds, data from the accelerator, brake, AP, etc. not directly usable by the average owner. They release the crash data (like a black box) only to police, insurance companies or as compelled by court order (ie subpoena) probably because of liability issues involving money, fault and damages and sometimes injuries. Maybe you were following the issue surrounding the release of data from the Model X crash in Mt. View, Calif. and the kind of info that Tesla collects, probably like other car companies to a lesser degree since their cars may not collect as much. I'm thinking the person you spoke to was thinking this kind of information was what you were after. Like maybe you might be suing the driver of your car for example. BTW this info can be retrieved from the car's "black box" with software and cables (which Tesla has made available but it's quite expensive and probably only used by crash investigators or such and not for one-time retrival in general).

I have heard in the press--I think and just recently, not sure if true, that Tesla does save the TeslaCam footage by your car ID number for a limited time on their servers. Don't remember where I read it or as I said if true. I'm guessing this is what you are referrring to. It's possible the person you spoke to isn't aware of the difference. I haven't heard anything about how it gets released but I think you want to call "somebody" and have that footage saved. Who or what department you ask for I haven't seen mentioned anywhere I've read.

On second thought perhaps what I read was about if Sentry Mode was on and you didn’t have a USB device in your car, that the footage during any Alarm notification would be temporarily saved on their servers by your car ID #. Sorry I don’t have a better recollection of this.

BTW sorry this happened to your girlfriend. Must have been very frightening when she saw the deer jump out. Glad she wasn't seriously injured. Sorry about your car too. Was it just the side airbags that deployed or were others involved?
This is very helpful, thank you so much. I'm going to contact my local service center in the morning and see if they can point me in the right direction. And yes, just the side airbags deployed there was no direct forward or rear collision.

The thread title is misleading. The AP did not cause this accident. This will be click bait for the FUDs.

From the OP's description, AP chose to swerve left into the barrier instead of hitting the deer, or some other evasive maneuver. Sure sounds AP caused or at the very least contributed to the accident. The deer didn't do anything.

Alternatively, what do you think caused the accident?

From the OP's description, AP chose to swerve left into the barrier instead of hitting the deer, or some other evasive maneuver. Sure sounds AP caused or at the very least contributed to the accident. The deer didn't do anything.

Alternatively, what do you think caused the accident?

The cause of the accident is the deer that jumped into the path of an automobile. Without the deer, this thread doesn't exist.

There's no telling what the GF on full alert would have done in the same situation. Ideally, the GF would have been paying plenty of attention and had a hand on the wheel, and could have corrected for the swerve, choosing to splatter the deer into the passenger compartment instead of scraping the 3 into oblivion. Or maybe dive right, and hope to not hit whatever was on the right. I assume the AP chose the lesser of the evils, given the information it had. Maybe it misinterpreted that crazy garrotty guardrail as something more permeable than it was...

The cause of the accident is the deer that jumped into the path of an automobile. Without the deer, this thread doesn't exist.

There's no telling what the GF on full alert would have done in the same situation. Ideally, the GF would have been paying plenty of attention and had a hand on the wheel, and could have corrected for the swerve, choosing to splatter the deer into the passenger compartment instead of scraping the 3 into oblivion. Or maybe dive right, and hope to not hit whatever was on the right. I assume the AP chose the lesser of the evils, given the information it had. Maybe it misinterpreted that crazy garrotty guardrail as something more permeable than it was...

So... are you suggesting that we should be saying that AP contributed to an accident instead of causing one? What's the difference.

• Funny
Reactions: juanmedina
This is very helpful, thank you so much. I'm going to contact my local service center in the morning and see if they can point me in the right direction. And yes, just the side airbags deployed there was no direct forward or rear collision.

Was waiting to go to dinner and reading the evening news online. Saw this news story on InsideEVs about a construction truck that damaged a Model 3 and the guy got the alert on his phone, and got "it wasn't us from the crew" until he said his car recorded the event. Anyway guess what came up in the article?! Yes, relative to our conversation and what I kind of remembered reading. Not sure if this helps if you didn't have Sentry Mode activated on the car however even without the USB plugged in. And looks like you also had to have allowed data sharing on your car. Only other option is one of the two mentioned above the subpoena or a third party crash investigator with software and equipment.

Tesla Sentry Mode Catches Construction Truck Damaging Model 3: Video:
"From Tesla OTA Release Notes:

“Sentry Model will send recorded footage to Tesla for temporary backup and feature improvement. You can enable or disable this collection any time via the DATA SHARING video clip setting in Controls > Settings > Safety & Security. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for more information.”

I’m not sure if Tesla has widely deployed this latest Sentry Mode update… it may still be in limited release."

If anyone has any suggestions it would be a huge help, thanks
Go buy the Event Data Recorder (EDR) USB cables ($995), download the software and get the data yourself. It's all documented on the Tesla EDR website.

Event Data Recorder

The cost of the cables seems pretty crazy, but it includes the cables for the Model S/X/3 along with other hardware. You will probably be able to recoup a lot of the cost of the kit by selling it after you're done.

So... are you suggesting that we should be saying that AP contributed to an accident instead of causing one? What's the difference.

The AP may have altered the accident, but the moment the deer landed in front of the car, an accident was likely inevitable.

It really does matter whether the AP caused the accident or the deer caused the accident. If the AP decides on its own to dive into a guardrail, its the AP's fault and perhaps by extension, the human operator.

We have no idea how far away the deer was when it entered the lane. Saying the crash was caused or even contributed to by the AP is unreasonable.

For a more extreme example... someone drops a rock off an overpass just as a 3 goes underneath and the rock goes through the windshield. It is something no one and nothing could predict, yet by your logic if AP was engaged, AP either caused or contributed to the accident. You could redraw this scenario with a bigger rock or something the AP would want to avoid, have it land 20 feet from the car, and it STILL isn't AP's fault if there's an accident, either due to its action or inaction. I'll give you there's possibly some distance and scenarios where a human could potentially do a better job at evasion IF they are paying full attention and their hands are on the wheel, even if that evasion is to decide the lesser of three evils... swerve right, left, or brake or some combination thereof.

Nope. Over 8000 miles on my MR, probably 60-70% on AP. Feel free to check my posts.

The way I see it, AP made a steering input that resulted in a wreck. Some people are just trying to spin what happened.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect that AP can prevent all accidents. Or even that it's accident prevention will make the best decisions.

Without any video it's tough to say what happened.

The car could see the vehicle to it's right, but I doubt it could see the cable retainer to the left. It opted to go left because that's the only choice it had.

In that situation I would have slammed the brakes, and avoided turning unless I absolutely had to.

Last edited:
Reactions: StellarRat
Nope. Over 8000 miles on my MR, probably 60-70% on AP. Feel free to check my posts.

The way I see it, AP made a steering input that resulted in a wreck. Some people are just trying to spin what happened.
Have you ever seen what happens if a large animal goes through the front windshield? I passed a van that had struck a horse on an interstate once. The driver and the passenger, if there was one, were definitely dead... They received a direct impact.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
The AP may have altered the accident, but the moment the deer landed in front of the car, an accident was likely inevitable.

It really does matter whether the AP caused the accident or the deer caused the accident. If the AP decides on its own to dive into a guardrail, its the AP's fault and perhaps by extension, the human operator.

We have no idea how far away the deer was when it entered the lane. Saying the crash was caused or even contributed to by the AP is unreasonable.

For a more extreme example... someone drops a rock off an overpass just as a 3 goes underneath and the rock goes through the windshield. It is something no one and nothing could predict, yet by your logic if AP was engaged, AP either caused or contributed to the accident. You could redraw this scenario with a bigger rock or something the AP would want to avoid, have it land 20 feet from the car, and it STILL isn't AP's fault if there's an accident, either due to its action or inaction. I'll give you there's possibly some distance and scenarios where a human could potentially do a better job at evasion IF they are paying full attention and their hands are on the wheel, even if that evasion is to decide the lesser of three evils... swerve right, left, or brake or some combination thereof.
My girlfriend was pretty well still in shock when she told me what I posted here. She told there was a deer in the road and a car near her. I’ve recently spoke to her and she cleared a few things up. She was actually in the right lane with the other car a few car lengths in front of her. The deer apparently was running towards the car from the right side but didn’t cross In front of the vehicle

She was still in shock when she told me what i posted earlier. To clear a few things up here's what she remembers as of right now
1. The other car was actually a few car lengths in front of her
2. She was actually in the right lane.
3. The deer was coming from the right side on a course to T-Bone her (AP may have picked this up as a motorcycle making more sense as to why it swerved to the left)