Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: The death of carpool lane plate issuance coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
In AZ we have two “blue” carpool lane plates, one labeled with the word “hybrid” for Prius etc and the other plate for single “alt fuel” vehicles like Tesla electrics or future hydrogen powered cars registered in AZ. The blue hybrid plates were capped several years ago so the only way you can have one on a new car is if it is moved from another car you own. But while you could move an old Prius blue plate to a new hybrid Honda, you could not move it to a Tesla. Two separate programs. So far the program Tesla’s falls under has not been capped. But caps are based on traffic flow analyses by the State motor vehicle department and do not require the Legislature’s approval. (I believe the caps are mandated by the feds as a precondition when AZ accepts fed funds to help fund carpool lanes.)

I only mention this issue because I would think other states may be equally impacted, especially those states selling a lot of Teslas. I will be interested to see replies to this thread, especially from CA residents. But at least in AZ, it seems to me this issue should be a consideration if you are planning to delay purchasing a Tesla for a year or two. Obviously the fed tax credit is a big deal but unrestricted carpool lane access is a pretty big deal for commuters, too.

I wouldnt be surprised if they start to consider it. But in AZ, I dont think it’s an issue yet. Perhaps in 2020?

Slightly off-topic: I’m also concerned about the VLT discount that is stealthily a quite sizable incentive (larger than most states purchase price rebates over the life of the car). As some states have started to charge extra fees for EVs to make up for their lack of using gasoline (and thus lack of paying the taxes on gasoline). So, I will be registering my 3 for 5 years up front.

I wouldnt be surprised if they start to consider it. But in AZ, I dont think it’s an issue yet. Perhaps in 2020?

Slightly off-topic: I’m also concerned about the VLT discount that is stealthily a quite sizable incentive (larger than most states purchase price rebates over the life of the car). As some states have started to charge extra fees for EVs to make up for their lack of using gasoline (and thus lack of paying the taxes on gasoline). So, I will be registering my 3 for 5 years up front.
I don’t think HOV congestion is an issue here yet either, mostly based on my wife’s daily commute on I-10 through Tempe. While she isn’t traveling 65-70 mph, the traffic isn’t real heavy in the HOV lane — yet. But that’s why I said I thought as Model 3s rapidly proliferate it could be an issue in the not too distant future. I’m sure a lot of hybrid owners were caught by surprise when those plates were capped mostly due to the Prius sales explosion and it could certainly happen to Tesla owners as well, at least here in AZ. As for extra fees for Teslas and elimination of other perks like our super cheap plates, I agree those are also factors to consider. But in this thread I was trying highlight a reason one might not want to delay purchasing too long. Those other factors would apply regardless.

I just filled out the white carpool lane sticker form for CA for our Model 3. The new form for 2018 says that if your car was purchased in 2018 or later and you received the CA rebate too are ineligible for the carpool sticker. Also if you get carpool stickers you are ineligible for the rebate.

We are 2017 car so did not impact us but interesting to note so you can plan what is more important to you.

I've been slightly concerned about this too. With my Model S, the HOV lane access was a huge selling point. I commute from South Chandler to Old Town Scottsdale every day and what normally would be a 45-75 minute commute, only takes me 25-30. (Don't even get me started on the death trap that is the 101.) On the ADOT site they don't indicate the AF program will end any time soon. I don't have any reason to believe they would end it abruptly and without notice....but I could be wrong.

I just filled out the white carpool lane sticker form for CA for our Model 3. The new form for 2018 says that if your car was purchased in 2018 or later and you received the CA rebate too are ineligible for the carpool sticker. Also if you get carpool stickers you are ineligible for the rebate.

We are 2017 car so did not impact us but interesting to note so you can plan what is more important to you.

It shouldn't impact many owners if they make under $150K single/$300k joint.

Reactions: hckyplyr

Hmm news to me. Will have to mention to my husband. We received our White sticker for our 2017 MS and received our Calif EV rebate for the BEV vehicle, and were thinking we'd apply for both for our Model 3 when it comes. Since my husband ocassionally drives in rush hour traffic he'll probably vote for the car pool lane sticker so he doesn't always have to take the MS. Thanks for the heads up.

As for how Calif has handled their Car pool lane stickers for 1-driver EV vehicles, they have cut off stickers for some older vehicles that qualified before. Each new grouping of cars was color coded. They could I suppose in the future make it open to only zero emmission cars (they get money from a special tax levied on BEVs since they don't contribute to the roads thru gas tax), they could also eliminate 1-driver vehicles, but knowing Calif, they'll probably make the car pool lanes during rush hour pay lanes which they've started to do in some areas.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark Z

While I no longer reside in CA, I do still pay some attention to what is happening there and I hadn’t heard this new policy before. I can imagine many commuters in the most congested areas would pick the carpool lane access even though that’s a nice chunk of money to leave on the table.

Can you post a picture of whatever said getting carpool stickers makes you ineligible for the rebate? I found the change to the carpool sticker program, which I'm guessing is to minimize curbstoning/flipping.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

But unless I'm missing something, or they haven't published it yet, the CVRP doesn't prohibit an applicant from applying if they have carpool stickers, which to me means someone should apply for the stickers first, and then apply for the CVRP after they get the stickers.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site...cvrp/documents/CVRP-Implementation-Manual.pdf

I'm guessing the last part is just referencing the CVRP income limitations from 2016.

Effective January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a CAV decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), nor can an applicant participate in both the CAV Decal Program and the CVRP unless income restrictions are met.

I really appreciate this thread. Now we know that single drivers in California must buy new vehicles more often to keep the HOV feature. That will help sell more Model 3s or encourage us to keep our newer 2017/2018 vehicles. I guess the older vehicles will be more popular with driver/passenger, or in non-HOV areas or out of California state purchases.

Can you post a picture of whatever said getting carpool stickers makes you ineligible for the rebate? I found the change to the carpool sticker program, which I'm guessing is to minimize curbstoning/flipping.

But unless I'm missing something, or they haven't published it yet, the CVRP doesn't prohibit an applicant from applying if they have carpool stickers, which to me means someone should apply for the stickers first, and then apply for the CVRP after they get the stickers.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site...cvrp/documents/CVRP-Implementation-Manual.pdf

I'm guessing the last part is just referencing the CVRP income limitations from 2016.
This is all news to me. I was hoping to both apply for the $2,500 AND the car pool sticker. Why is it this sh!t always seems to change when *I* might benefit. :/

Reactions: Pkmmte
For California residents who elect to go with the $2500 rebate instead of the Car Pool (HOV) sticker and wanting to check into the State's Clean Vehicle Rebate Project to see if you qualify by vehicle/income level, here's the website. BTW you have 18 months from date of purchase to apply for the rebate so if you didn't know about it and just reading about it now, keep that in mind. Also 2018 Model 3s haven't been listed yet as qualifying.

Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

Now,this was interesting -- under their FAQ area:

What is considered date of purchase/lease for Tesla vehicles?
For Tesla vehicles ordered prior to March 29, 2016, the vehicle order date will be considered the date of purchase or lease. For Tesla vehicles ordered on or after March 29, 2016, the date of first registration with the California DMV will be considered the date of purchase or lease.

If you are applying for a Tesla vehicle, please take a moment to identify your vehicle order date and corresponding date of purchase/lease. Your order date is:

• The “accepted by customer” date on your final Vehicle Configuration Sheet, or
  • The date you received your first order confirmation email from Tesla, subject line, “Thank you for your order.”
Examples may be viewed in our sample supporting documents (cleanvehiclerebate.org/sampledocs), starting on page 18.

If your order date is before March 29, 2016, enter your order date as your date of purchase/lease. If your order date is on or after March 29, 2016, enter the date on your registration.

If you have questions, please call our team at 866-984-2532.

Hmm interesting viewpoint. It sounds like if you meet income requirements, you can be in both programs so that gives weight to your thought. Very weird wording and I would say confusing. From the DMV site:

Effective January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a CAV decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), nor can an applicant participate in both the CAV Decal Program and the CVRP unless income restrictions are met.

For additional information, visit the California Air Resources Board's (ARB) website at www.arb.ca.gov.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting viewpoint. It sounds like if you meet income requirements, you can be in both programs so that gives weight to your thought. Very weird wording and I would say confusing. From the DMV site:

For additional information, visit the California Air Resources Board's (ARB) website at www.arb.ca.gov.
That language looks pretty clear to me. You can choose the money or the carpool lane access. The last clause could be clearer, of course.

• Helpful
Reactions: fazluke
This is all news to me. I was hoping to both apply for the $2,500 AND the car pool sticker. Why is it this sh!t always seems to change when *I* might benefit. :/

McRat posted the change to the CVC in another thread. It's kind of weird, but I think it just states that HOV stickers won't be given to anyone who recieved the CVRP rebate when they're over the income limit. Although they shouldn't get the CVRP rebate at all if they're over the income limit, but I guess they can still try.

CA DMV - Your 2018 Model 3 can get EV State Credit OR Carpool Sticker, but not both?

This might allow the DMV to take someone's carpool stickers away if they get the CVRP rebate even when they're above the income limits for the program.

That language looks pretty clear to me. You can choose the money or the carpool lane access. The last clause could be clearer, of course.

That's not it at all. If you meet income restrictions you can have both. The income restrictions are identical to the income restrictions for getting the CVRP rebate. If you are below that limit (300K per year married, 150K per year single) you can get both. If you are above that limit you can only get one, and it can't be the CVRP rebate because you aren't eligible. Hm, which one will it be?

• Funny
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq