Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 steering wheel stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. First post here.

Just took delivery of a Model 3 RWD in Mulgrave, Melbourne today. Build quality is above average, I wouldn’t say amazing. But the main thing was that the stalks on either side of the steering wheel don’t appear to be levelled. I made sure both were in “neutral” position and it was clear that the left stalk sits a good half inch lower than the right. I spoke to two Tesla staff members who said it was normal? That because the left stalk is the low/high beam stalk it’s meant to sit lower so you can do low/high beam easier? One of them said he’s never heard of it before and even checked two other cars there and they were the same.

I don’t recall seeing the same thing in the demo car at the showroom in Chadstone but I could have mislooked.

Can anyone who took delivery fairly recently check their stalks and see if they’re levelled? I tried Googling but couldn’t find anything.

Hi. First post here.

Just took delivery of a Model 3 RWD in Mulgrave, Melbourne today. Build quality is above average, I wouldn’t say amazing. But the main thing was that the stalks on either side of the steering wheel don’t appear to be levelled. I made sure both were in “neutral” position and it was clear that the left stalk sits a good half inch lower than the right. I spoke to two Tesla staff members who said it was normal? That because the left stalk is the low/high beam stalk it’s meant to sit lower so you can do low/high beam easier? One of them said he’s never heard of it before and even checked two other cars there and they were the same.

I don’t recall seeing the same thing in the demo car at the showroom in Chadstone but I could have mislooked.

Can anyone who took delivery fairly recently check their stalks and see if they’re levelled? I tried Googling but couldn’t find anything.
Log a service ticket, I haven't had that on either my 2021 M3 or 2022 MY.

9CF21346-651E-46C5-8F5C-CC915A2652EA.jpeg

Just had time to take a picture. The steering wheel is centered and I’ve accounted for perspective.

This is normal.

Have a look at some model 3 reviews on youtube and you will see that they are not always mm perfect equal.

IMO you need to lift your threshold for tolerances up a bit. You have a great car and it's time to enjoy it and forget about the bs you hear in the news.

Took delivery of our MYP on Saturday. We have the same stalk issue. The right stalk is higher than the left stalk by about a half-stalk-height. Booked for service to have a look at it.

(Also, going to get them have a look at some scratches on the glass roof that were present at delivery. Probably not an issue, but need to ensure it's documented as a potential weak point in the glass should anything happen in future.)

Reactions: Maximillan
What was the outcome of your service appointment, if you chose to go down this route? I turned up for my appointment today, but got the date wrong! 🤦‍♂️ Rebooked for another date, but was told that this is "normal" to have odd stalks.
My service appointment is next week. I’m going in with other issues, will see what they say.

For what it’s worth, the demo Model 3 at the showroom doesn’t have this issue. But the demo Model Y does. So I don’t even know what to believe.

What was the outcome of your service appointment, if you chose to go down this route? I turned up for my appointment today, but got the date wrong! 🤦‍♂️ Rebooked for another date, but was told that this is "normal" to have odd stalks.
I just got it back from the service appointment. They basically said it is what it is, the stalk positions are "similar to the rest of the fleet"; "positions not adjustable". He said the only way is to replace the whole steering assembly but he seemed reluctant to go further maybe because that would incur costs and not be covered under warranty as it's not deemed a defect. I agree it's not a defect but it's also not normal that some have leveled stalks and some don't.

This is normal.

Have a look at some model 3 reviews on youtube and you will see that they are not always mm perfect equal.

IMO you need to lift your threshold for tolerances up a bit. You have a great car and it's time to enjoy it and forget about the bs you hear in the news.
I agree, it's bit like the audiophile that listens for problems and never hears the music. Having said that... I'm sure there are issues that warrant complaining.

Reactions: Vostok
I just got it back from the service appointment. They basically said it is what it is, the stalk positions are "similar to the rest of the fleet"; "positions not adjustable". He said the only way is to replace the whole steering assembly but he seemed reluctant to go further maybe because that would incur costs and not be covered under warranty as it's not deemed a defect. I agree it's not a defect but it's also not normal that some have leveled stalks and some don't.
I'm not 100% sure that's correct. After adding an after market (haanshow) display that replaces the top cowling on the steering wheel I notices it was out as well. After a bit of investigation it looks like the stalk assembly is just held on by a collar tightened with a bolt (See photo). With a bit of leverage from a mult-grip I managed to rotate it a couple of mm (which was all that I needed to get the stalks (and thus my display) level.

So If you're happy to get a pry tool out and pop the top off the steering column cover (just follow any number of instructions for installing a haanshow display) you can probably adjust it yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 0xZoom and evbee