Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 scheduled/timed/smart charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, a dumb question.. I've ordered a Model 3 and hadn't even thought that this might be a problem.

I've got an Andersen A2 charger which is set to "unlock" between 00:30 and 04:30 to charge my (Evezy) i3. I plug the car in when I get back from work, it seems to sense that it is plugged in to a charger but nothing happens at that point. At 00:30 the charger unlocks and the car starts charging.

I don't have to use the scheduled charge time feature on the car at all, and in fact specifically don't use this because otherwise the car would use mains power to pre-condition itself in the morning before I set off (I have scheduled departure enabled).

Am I right in thinking therefore, based on the above, that this won't work on the Model 3? That I would somehow need to manually wake the car up to charge even if it "sees" something come alive and try to charge it?

On the M3 at present there is a bug that means if it is fully asleep it will not wake up when the charge point offers a charge. A software update has been promised but it has not yet arrived ... There is a work around some people have used which is to leave Sentry Mode active so as to keep the car awake through the night, but this uses unnecessary power. For reliable night charging you set the start time on the car schedule so the car will wake and take its charge. There is no simple "end charge" timer on the car. It will stop when it reaches the percentage you have preset. I don't have an Andersen but I presume you can set the Andersen to start and stop and that would end the charging when you want it. You also want the Andersen to be capable of responding in the morning if you decide to ask the car (via the app) to heat/precondition the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
The latest software update has fixed the 16A charging bug so maybe it’s fixed the asleep charging bug as well?

Nope.

Certainly has fixed the 16A bug as when scheduled charging is set when you first plug in you can see the display quickly ramp up the volts and amps available from the charger which is clearly a reference check as to what power is available when the charge starts in the future, I believe this information is geofenced so the car recalls what power is available in the future. Sadly the car stays asleep when a third party EVSE offers a charge still.

On the M3 at present there is a bug that means if it is fully asleep it will not wake up when the charge point offers a charge. A software update has been promised but it has not yet arrived ... There is a work around some people have used which is to leave Sentry Mode active so as to keep the car awake through the night, but this uses unnecessary power. For reliable night charging you set the start time on the car schedule so the car will wake and take its charge. There is no simple "end charge" timer on the car. It will stop when it reaches the percentage you have preset. I don't have an Andersen but I presume you can set the Andersen to start and stop and that would end the charging when you want it. You also want the Andersen to be capable of responding in the morning if you decide to ask the car (via the app) to heat/precondition the car.
Thanks.

Unfortunately the Andersen has only one start and stop time for scheduled charging. Your first suggestion would probably work though, it would just mean the car loses charging whenever the Andersen decides to stop (at 04:30). Not sure how well it handles that, presumably an error message like a normal charge failure (my i3 shows a "charger error") if I stick it on with less than 40% battery remaining, because it can't charge to 100% in 4 hours.

Thanks.

Unfortunately the Andersen has only one start and stop time for scheduled charging. Your first suggestion would probably work though, it would just mean the car loses charging whenever the Andersen decides to stop (at 04:30). Not sure how well it handles that, presumably an error message like a normal charge failure (my i3 shows a "charger error") if I stick it on with less than 40% battery remaining, because it can't charge to 100% in 4 hours.

When my Zappi was occasionally throwing a wobbler (since replaced) the car just said "check power source" but it didn't cause a problem as such. I presume that's what it would do if the Andersen stopped the charge at 4:30. I know that my SR+ can add 56% in 4 hours so I don't use any charge point controls. I just add 56 to the current SOC and set the top limit on the car so that it doesn't take more than that number (unless I'm happy to let it go into standard rate pricing). It's very rare in day to day use that I can't cover my charging in the 4 hour cheap rate on Octopus Go. The Zappi remains available at all times (as it's not switching off) so I can use the car's app to top up or give a morning heating/preconditioning boost for a few minutes.

I’ve just got set up on Octopus Go so want to charge my M3 only between the hours 00:30-04:30. Having read thru the thread I’m still not sure of the best wsy to achieve this simple objective!!
I have a smart charging option via my home charger ev.energy app which gives me the option to only charge when the rate is below a specified rate which I have set at 6p/kWh. ie the 4 hour cheaper rate period.
I gather that if I leave sentry mode on then this approach should work. Could anyone confirm if this is correct?
I’m aware that use of sentry mode consumes some power. Given I intend to turn sentry mode on around 23:30 and off at 07:30 does anyone know how much energy this would use?
Comments welcomed or if anyone can suggest another approach that would be much appreciated

I’ve just got set up on Octopus Go so want to charge my M3 only between the hours 00:30-04:30. Having read thru the thread I’m still not sure of the best wsy to achieve this simple objective!!
I have a smart charging option via my home charger ev.energy app which gives me the option to only charge when the rate is below a specified rate which I have set at 6p/kWh. ie the 4 hour cheaper rate period.
I gather that if I leave sentry mode on then this approach should work. Could anyone confirm if this is correct?
I’m aware that use of sentry mode consumes some power. Given I intend to turn sentry mode on around 23:30 and off at 07:30 does anyone know how much energy this would use?
Comments welcomed or if anyone can suggest another approach that would be much appreciated

You could use TeslaFi to schedule a wake-up, or if you don't mind messing with some simple coding you can call the Tesla API to achieve the same thing.

Thanks for the reply. What do I have to do to set up this function?You mentioned in an earlier post “some simple coding” but not sure what this involves?.

Teslafi is inevitably going to add costs and complication. If you are not familiar with API etc and you don't require the myriad data collection facilities (serious nerdery) then, in my opinion, paying a subscription just to set the charge times for your car is beyond what you need.

You can just set the car to start charging at 00:30 each night.
If you have a standard 7kW charge point then you can potentially use 28kWh in the 4 hour period. People with average daily miles will find that this covers their usage without going beyond 04:30. You can find out how many battery percentage points this 28kWh actually represents for your car. For an SR+ it's 56 percentage points. If my car is at 40% when I plug in and I know that the car is set with a routine maximum charge limit of 80% or 90% it will easily charge within the 4 hour window (40+56=96). (The world doesn't end if you go over the 4 hour period occasionally! Not paying for Teslafi easily covers that!)

If you really want to make sure you don't go beyond the 4 hour window you just reduce the maximum set charge (on the app or in the car) so that it doesn't go over the present state of charge percentage plus 56. e.g. If my battery is at 20% I could set the car maximum to 76%.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon and Roy W.
Teslafi is inevitably going to add costs and complication. If you are not familiar with API etc and you don't require the myriad data collection facilities (serious nerdery) then, in my opinion, paying a subscription just to set the charge times for your car is beyond what you need.

You can just set the car to start charging at 00:30 each night.
If you have a standard 7kW charge point then you can potentially use 28kWh in the 4 hour period. People with average daily miles will find that this covers their usage without going beyond 04:30. You can find out how many battery percentage points this 28kWh actually represents for your car. For an SR+ it's 56 percentage points. If my car is at 40% when I plug in and I know that the car is set with a routine maximum charge limit of 80% or 90% it will easily charge within the 4 hour window (40+56=96). (The world doesn't end if you go over the 4 hour period occasionally! Not paying for Teslafi easily covers that!)

If you really want to make sure you don't go beyond the 4 hour window you just reduce the maximum set charge (on the app or in the car) so that it doesn't go over the present state of charge percentage plus 56. e.g. If my battery is at 20% I could set the car maximum to 76%.
That’s what we need; some numbers! Many thanks

The charger scheduling service I was building recently is not quite ready for prime-time (needs some time spent on design and UI), but it's at a stage where I could do with a few people to help test the functionality. I use it on my own car and scheduling has been working well for the last couple of months. Send me a PM if you want to have a go - free of course. UK only for now, I need to work on other timezones/languages yet.

I've got a handful of Model 3 owners and one Model S owner using it for the graphing and remote control functionality, but a focus on those using it for scheduling would help.

Reactions: *Adam
Hi All,

As this thread is still ongoing I just wanted to check that EVERYONE reading this has already raised a Service Appointment request for these issues with Tesla already? Can you Like this post if you have done it?

The only way they are going to prioritise getting this fixed is seeing lots of support tickets raised. Here is some text again to copy and paste into your request. It will take you 30seconds and make a big difference!

"I am raising a service request as my car is not operating as designed:
1. Car does not wake from sleep when offered charge
2. When using scheduled charge car always charges at 16A even though offered 32A
3. During charging car does not automatically accept the maximum charge rate (Amps) when the charger varies this over time."

Also I kept having issue number 2 and it happens on the nights I need the charging the most. I have therefore written a NodeRed workflow on my Raspberry Pi that checks the charge rate of the charger (OpenEVSE so has local API but you could use the Tesla API too) at 00:35 and if its <17Amps it disables the charger for 30seconds and enables it again which seems to clear the issue and charge at Max. If anyone wants a copy to play with I am happy to share.

@Jeremy Harris Did you get any further with your experiments on the pilot line and trying to simulate the UMC? I wonder if faking that the charging cable has been unplugged would wake up the car? Did you manage to intercept what the UMC was sending on the Pilot?

Thanks All!

Hi All - quick update on this.

Its been 9months since I owned by M3 and nearly 3 years since they started production and still this defect where EVSE cannot wake vehicle to charge has not been fixed via software update.

I suspect if it could be fixed via software then it would have been by now meaning the engineers probably found that the hardware cannot support it and therefore would require a recall if they admitted it.

My M3 went in for a service to fix some paintwork last week and this charging issue was still reported on my file from when I raised it last year. They gave the same explanation that this 'feature' will be enabled through software update in the future. However I refused to pickup my vehicle until they gave me a date for this being fixed and reminded them it is not compliant and a fix not a feature.

They have since escalated with the central engineering team who contacted me today asking for timestamps of when this happened. I did a set of tests for them today proving that it still doesnt work and that its not the charger. They are looking at the logs and will get back to me.

I have also raised this as an official complaint with the customer services team as part of a 2 pronged attack.

Will let you know when I hear more...

Incidentally the Model S and X i have been given as courtesy cars both woke up no issue from my charger from sleep.

If anyone reading this thread is still frustrated and cares about getting this resolved please can you raise a service appointment through the App - it will take 30seconds and just paste this in...
"My vehicle is not able to wake from sleep by my EVSE charger meaning that it is not compliant with the charging standard and I cannot charge when there is excess solar or dynamic variable cost tariffs. Please provide a date when this will be fixed"

The date and location for the service doesn't matter as they will cancel it anyway but at least it gets logged as an incident of the same cause. You can post any replies you receive on here.

THANK YOU!

@Jeremy Harris - did you ever get any further simulating the digital comms of the UMC?

Reactions: ACarneiro
There are some smartphone Apps, like 'TezLab' or 'Dashboard for Tesla' which are able to start and stop charging.

There might be a way to send some commands to the App server over the Internet.

'Smartcar' provides an API allowing to connect to the Tesla App using Token authentication.

Last edited: