Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm one of the creators of the Tesla 3 Counter. If you've sent us an email asking for your data to be deleted it will be (there's just three of us that built it and are supporting it, plus we all have jobs so time is in short supply). That being said we are using the data in aggregate to refine our algorithm. I apologize that you're not getting the result you want, but we are only providing estimates - I can't stress this enough. Our goal is to increase the accuracy of our estimate as we refine our modelt any response./algorithm. Keep in mind that there are currently quite a few Tesla owners (and people that are already on a Model X or S waiting list) as well as many Tesla employees - we assume (as stated by Elon) these reservation holders will take priority over the other people in line which pushes your position up (this is not our decision, but we feel it's an important factor that we should incorporate into our model).

Again, please don't be too upset. We are confident in our algorithm, and are going to continue to refine it. It's definitely not perfect, but as we come out with updates to the algorithm you will be able to check back and see how our estimates of current reservation position and delivery date have changed. We will also include some notes to describe what new factors or adjustments have been made to the new version of the algorithm.
I have emailed you guys on your website twice asking that my information be removed from your data base but have yet to receive any reply. You might also want to eliminate Tesla's logo from your website. It is misleading to those of us who thought this was a Tesla company website.

I would never give out the RN to anyone. As far as I know there is no sequence on the numbers so it's all a big guessing game at this point anyway. But, someone else with an RN and a name may end up getting your car...
I hope you are wrong but as soon as I noticed this was not a Tesla company website, it certainly occurred to me that I really messed up giving out that information to strangers.

Hi, I'm one of the creators of the Tesla 3 Counter. If you've sent us an email asking for your data to be deleted it will be (there's just three of us that built it and are supporting it, plus we all have jobs so time is in short supply). That being said we are using the data in aggregate to refine our algorithm. I apologize that you're not getting the result you want, but we are only providing estimates - I can't stress this enough. Our goal is to increase the accuracy of our estimate as we refine our model/algorithm. Keep in mind that there are currently quite a few Tesla owners (and people that are already on a Model X or S waiting list) as well as many Tesla employees - we assume (as stated by Elon) these reservation holders will take priority over the other people in line which pushes your position up (this is not our decision, but we feel it's an important factor that we should incorporate into our model).

Again, please don't be too upset. We are confident in our algorithm, and are going to continue to refine it. It's definitely not perfect, but as we come out with updates to the algorithm you will be able to check back and see how our estimates of current reservation position and delivery date have changed. We will also include some notes to describe what new factors or adjustments have been made to the new version of the algorithm.
Thank you for responding. I requested removal in the same session as original submission. I hope thats good enough.
I applaud your mission - just not happy about the RN issue.

I hope you are wrong but as soon as I noticed this was not a Tesla company website, it certainly occurred to me that I really messed up giving out that information to strangers.
No need to worry - it was our mistake asking for the reservation numbers in the first place. We've since deleted the the RN field and have replaced it with fields for you to make up a password. If you've already registered using your RN you can log back in using it and then will be able to change to a password you make up.

Our initial thought process was that the RN would act as a good password since it was unique and users could go back to their email and reference it. We've corrected this and once you change your password we will be deleting all records of the RNs (to the best of the collective internet's knowledge these are random and don't help predict the user place in line at all).

Thank you for responding. I requested removal in the same session as original submission. I hope thats good enough.
I applaud your mission - just not happy about the RN issue.
Thanks for the support!

Yes, as long as an email was sent to either: [email protected] or [email protected] your request will be addressed and resolved as requested.

As a note, we have since removed the RN field and last name field, so if you ever wanted to register again there is no need to share that information anymore :).

Thanks for the support!

Yes, as long as an email was sent to either: [email protected] or [email protected] your request will be addressed and resolved as requested.

As a note, we have since removed the RN field and last name field, so if you ever wanted to register again there is no need to share that information anymore :).

@BQuinn, I would say that for what the site actually does, there is no need for accounts, logins, passwords, names, e-mail addresses, and such.

Why collect this information? Why have a database at all? Just provide a field to type in the reservation date, time zone, State or country, and whether you're a T employee or owner, and let your algorithm do the work by spitting out the results to an anonymous user.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the delay between reserving in store (10:45am on the 31st TYCO rd Vienna Va) and the recept time of my confirmation email (2:54pm eastern time on 04/01/16)

Is the 24 hour delay mean I lost my place to all those who ordered after the reveal and all morning of the 1st of April?
Tesla must know it was an in store and placed on the 31st ,,, right?

One thing is if you login to your MyTesla, that will have your reservation date. However it does not have the exact reservation time. Also it does not account for timezone difference.

For example, I ordered just as Elon came to the stage at the reveal event which was at around 20:30hrs March 31st US time. However MyTesla says I ordered 1st of April (possibly because it was actually early morning hours 1st of April UK time)

In general though I do have concerns on how well Tesla servers may have recorded my position in order queue as I only received confirmation email after 2 days.

At the top (center justified) on MY TESLA home page, I can see my reservation number RN XXXX

Below that and left justified, it says the following:

What's Next?

Your Model 3 was reserved on DD/MM/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation.

thank you , somehow I do not have that same info on MYTesla page
it shows my reservation of a model 3 and the res #
and shows the Model S i configured but did not order
no dates anywhere and when I click " profile" it just shows my reservation # , nothing else

why would mine be any different?

thank you , somehow I do not have that same info on MYTesla page
it shows my reservation of a model 3 and the res #
and shows the Model S i configured but did not order
no dates anywhere and when I click " profile" it just shows my reservation # , nothing else

why would mine be any different?

Did you reserve more than one? I think I saw a post from someone else who said he saw the date on the mytesla page, but when he reserved a second car, the date went away.

Maybe it also has to do with the fact that you have a model S configured

I have no RN on the myTelsa page, I have called multiple times to see why this is the case and they say their IT department is working on it. Well it's been almost a month and it shows nothing for me. They do however have record of my reservation and gave me my RN over the phone. I just don't want an issue with myTesla when it comes time to configure.

Yahoo just said some fellow ordered 20 M3's, and the reporter himself confirmed it was "easy" to order two. The implication is that Tesla is pumping up the numbers for a stock trade.
Now - I know that there is a two-car max, so there must be some function that would search common names, credit cards, duplicate addresses to invalidate more than two order. Anyone know that there is a canceling function?

My conspiratory hackles says GM would pump up Tesla, just to jerk the rug on the orders and cause embarrassing news that many folks are dumping. Perhaps not GM, but a stock short seller.

Any way to flesh out real orders from stock-pump orders?

Yahoo just said some fellow ordered 20 M3's, and the reporter himself confirmed it was "easy" to order two. The implication is that Tesla is pumping up the numbers for a stock trade.
Now - I know that there is a two-car max, so there must be some function that would search common names, credit cards, duplicate addresses to invalidate more than two order. Anyone know that there is a canceling function?

My conspiratory hackles says GM would pump up Tesla, just to jerk the rug on the orders and cause embarrassing news that many folks are dumping. Perhaps not GM, but a stock short seller.

It sounds like the guy who ordered 20 is indeed planning a short sale. Too bad the scum bag doesn't use his creativity to make an honest living.

I find that extremely unlikely. To actually move the needle on cancellation percentage an entity would need to make tens of thousands of reservations. In addition to the logistical challenge of hiding this activity from Tesla, for a publicly traded company this would require handing over tens of millions of dollars to Tesla for over a year and hiding that from investors. And for what gain? A change from 5% cancellations to 10% is not going to move the stock much, and the people cancelling wouldn't have any idea if/when Tesla will report that data to be able to take advantage of it.

I think some people are making way to big a deal over the cancellation rate anyways. There will be some natural percentage of cancellations, probably in the 5%-20% range. Things change and this is a big financial decision for most people, some may buy Bolts or other cars, some may get impatient and buy a Model S instead, some may just have cold feet when the time comes to dish out $35k. Even if 25% of people cancel there are still 300,000 sales lined up a year in advance of production which is way more than just about any of the extremely bullish users here predicted by this point.