Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Premium Package is a STEAL (By Tesla standards)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regular CC is so useless compared to TACC. I can't even stand using it anymore.

I know but with an electric motor, maybe the acceleration or deceleration will be much faster than on ICE. We have the ACC on our RAV4 too and couple with the AEB, it's great though can't do low speed follow, which I don't care much about because there are lots of traffic lights in city driving anyway.

I can't make myself spend $5k USD though because $4k more and I can get the 310 mile version and there's the standard AEB anyway. :)

Can't say there's a single item in PUP that I or my wife would want. Base + blue + adaptive cruise control. Sadly, we have to buy a bunch of fundamentally toys to get ACC.
Heated seats and side mirrors are awesome in the cold and rainy PNW. Wish they also had heated steering wheel..that way I would not have to turn on any cabin air heating during Sept - June in the PNW.

Where's my vented seats!!! I'd pay money for that.
But seriously the wood accents, I'll be making some parts available shortly after getting my 3.

Lately I'd need to summon the car with the mirrors folded at work as no one seems to know how to not park on top of my car.

Heated seats and side mirrors are awesome in the cold and rainy PNW. Wish they also had heated steering wheel..that way I would not have to turn on any cabin air heating during Sept - June in the PNW.
Weird, I'm from the same area as you, but I can't ever think of a time where I have felt the steering wheel was uncomfortably cold. I assumed it was only an issue for places that get colder than our area.

I agree that it's a pretty good deal. But I'd be much more pleased if it explicitly included a heated steering wheel.

And I'd be even pleased-ier yet if it included adaptive headlights (aka "3-position dynamic LED turning lights") which are standard on the S. Someone posted a photo of a M3 prototype's headlights last year and thought it included these. And I thought/hoped they might be included since they're a safety feature and Tesla is all about safety.

And -- I wouldn't expect it to be included in the PUP -- but just having an option for a moonroof would be the icing on the cake.

I'm actually surprised they aren't standard.. I can't remember what the last car I drove that had manual folding mirrors was. I never use them and don't really think I'll need them, but I thought everything came with them these days.

I agree 100%.

My 17 y.o. car has folding mirrors and it only coast around 18.000 USD.

I don't understand why it's not a basic feature.

Also I expect panoramic roof to unbundle from the pup in a future when they reach scale economies. Don't understand why you need audio upgrade, electric and leather seats if you only want panoramic roof.

Besides, panoramic roof is supposed to offer manufacturing economies to tesla...

I think the reason for packaging the upgrades was to make production faster. Apparently picking and choosing a bunch of options was going to make delivery times much longer.

I think the main reason to package them is to make for better profit margins. But what Tesla doesn't realize is some people might not push through with a purchase because of budget concerns. Not everyone of us can afford (or want to) finance a S or X as they are easily double to triple the amount of a decent ICE vehicle with all the safety features.

You have a point though that Tesla's manufacturing is not the flexible.

For our 16 RAV4 Hybrid with technology package, Canadians got heated steering wheels but not Americans; while Americans got TPMS (mandatory in the US) whereas our vehicles didn't.

It seems Toyota Japan is so flexible in manufacturing that they'd rather slightly retool than give a part/feature out for free (or maybe just charge us a few hundred dollars more). :)

I agree 100%.

My 17 y.o. car has folding mirrors and it only coast around 18.000 USD.

I don't understand why it's not a basic feature.

Also I expect panoramic roof to unbundle from the pup in a future when they reach scale economies. Don't understand why you need audio upgrade, electric and leather seats if you only want panoramic roof.

Besides, panoramic roof is supposed to offer manufacturing economies to tesla...

One thing I have noticed is that folding mirrors are MUCH more common in Europe than in America, likely due to (at least in many places) narrower roads and parking. They're a relatively new feature on many cars that are targeted at state-side audiences.

I'm actually surprised they aren't standard.. I can't remember what the last car I drove that had manual folding mirrors was. I never use them and don't really think I'll need them, but I thought everything came with them these days.

So just to make a fool of myself I happen to be in Australia for work & play.. And both rental cars this trip don't have power folding mirrors. One was a new rental spec Toyota Corolla, and now I'm driving a Holden Commodore SV6, which will park itself, but doesn't have power folding mirrors. *shrug*

I think the main reason to package them is to make for better profit margins. But what Tesla doesn't realize is some people might not push through with a purchase because of budget concerns.
I'm sure they realize that. It just doesn't matter at this point since there are still more than enough people willing to get the PUP features to keep producing only those vehicles. Maybe in a few months they'll have exhausted the supply of people willing to get that configuration, but I wouldn't expect any unbundling for a year or more, if ever.

Reactions: internalaudit
This! I've read that Tesla's at about 4x the labor hours per car of the average large manufacturer. They can fiddle with packages after they've ramped up their production lines to meet or exceed industry averages.

Tesla is the most vertically integrated automotive manufacturer in the world.

Other automakers outsource those labor hours.

Partly it is because Tesla does not have the economies of scale to get good prices from suppliers and partly because some Tesla parts are too difficult for others to manufacture at a reasonable price.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq