Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance vs battery charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all sorry if this has been asked (I looked but couldn't see what I wanted), but how much does the performance of the performance drop off with charge? I've seen a couple of graphs, but they look to be for the newer batteries, but mine is 2019 so I think the older style. Is it the same sort of drop off as the newer ones?

Cheers

Thanks. I'd actually read that thread earlier, but wondered about it translates to actual time. The reason I ask is I've put mine on charge as was around 20%, but it seemed to be pretty slow above 50 or so.

Yeah... as you can see from the graphs, power below 65-70kph isn't affected until you fall to pretty low SOC. It's above that speed that you lose the most. In terms of time... are you driving on a track? It would depend how much time you spend accelerating at high speeds.

I don't have a performance, I have a LR AWD with the Power Boost. When I do longer trips I can really start feeling the power loss at 20% SOC or so, when I need to pass on the highway.

Since you're in the UK, you might get cold days. You should know that you will lose a lot more power from a cold battery than from a low-ish SOC. On -20C days where I left the car outside and did not preheat, I have seen a maximum of 100kW of power available. That is not fast I can tell you.
I know cold kills the performance, but that might not be a bad thing if its icey :p. It's just general acceleration on the road where I notice it, my commute features a spot where you go on a slip road from 40 upto 70 and that's where I notice it most. Those graphs make it look like a relatively steady decline so I guess that's why it's less noticeable.