Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance tire bubbles on the 20" rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else get bubbles on their tires the second they hit a hard bump / pothole? Mine came with the Pirelli Pzero's and I have multiple bubbles on my tires. They should be covered under the Pirelli road Hazard Warranty but none currnetly in stock.

Yeah I've seen other reports of that. Seems most common with the very low profile 235/35 size. Be thankful you've only had tire issues so far and not cracked or bent a wheel yet. I can dig up a pic of our cracked Model S P85 wheel if you like, that had a similar 245/35 tire size.

The huge heavy cast wheel with rubberband tires combo is just for looks. If you want better function especially over real-world nasty roads, switch your M3P to 19" or even 18" wheels with correspondingly taller sidewall tires (to get approximately the same outer diameter).

For example I switched out my M3P's 20x9" wheels + 235/35R20 PZ4 tires for 18x8.5" wheels wearing 245/45R18 Potenza Sport tires. Compared to stock the new setup has more grip dry+wet, better ride (takes the edge off), better efficiency, and way way better protection from ill-maintained roads. Now I drive this car fast over most such roads, instead of stressing about popping a wheel or tire. (I still dodge super deep wheel swallowing potholes of course.)

Edit: If you're wondering why I'm saying you should change out wheels+tires on your Tesla just to avoid popping them, but never needed to with your previous cars...believe me I feel the same frustration with Tesla's wheel choices. Before that cracked Model S wheel it never occurred to me that I'd have to worry about such things from just driving down a road.

And yes we switched the S to smaller wheels too. No more cracked wheels on it either now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The design of the tire is also important. A friend's car had factory Badyear RS-A 245/40R19s and went through 6 of those during 1 winter due to potholes and bumps. She'd get bubbles and pinch flats. She switched to DWS06 in the same size, and at the end of 50k miles where the tread was shot, only one had a bubble that she kept driving on and eventually developed a slight leak at the bubble because she curb that bubble sometime ago. That being said, it's not just Tesla doing this trend with thin tires. Ford does it too and it is infuriating. Even race cars in the GTLM class were running tires with more sidewall thickness!

• Informative
Reactions: blktezzi and tm1v2
Upvote 0
Yeah I've seen other reports of that. Seems most common with the very low profile 235/35 size. Be thankful you've only had tire issues so far and not cracked or bent a wheel yet. I can dig up a pic of our cracked Model S P85 wheel if you like, that had a similar 245/35 tire size.

The huge heavy cast wheel with rubberband tires combo is just for looks. If you want better function especially over real-world nasty roads, switch your M3P to 19" or even 18" wheels with correspondingly taller sidewall tires (to get approximately the same outer diameter).

For example I switched out my M3P's 20x9" wheels + 235/35R20 PZ4 tires for 18x8.5" wheels wearing 245/45R18 Potenza Sport tires. Compared to stock the new setup has more grip dry+wet, better ride (takes the edge off), better efficiency, and way way better protection from ill-maintained roads. Now I drive this car fast over most such roads, instead of stressing about popping a wheel or tire. (I still dodge super deep wheel swallowing potholes of course.)

Edit: If you're wondering why I'm saying you should change out wheels+tires on your Tesla just to avoid popping them, but never needed to with your previous cars...believe me I feel the same frustration with Tesla's wheel choices. Before that cracked Model S wheel it never occurred to me that I'd have to worry about such things from just driving down a road.

And yes we switched the S to smaller wheels too. No more cracked wheels on it either now.
That's exaclty how I feel driving, I avoid going certain places just because I know the roads are bad or if I do go there, I drive very slow and hope not to pop a tire. I get that the thinner sidewall are stiffer and more sporty, but these are way to low, and really for looks more than anything. I am looking to go down to 19" with lighter rims (with hopefully higher efficiency).

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0