Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my tire done for? Hit a massive pothole driving through Tennessee, drove home just fine but noticed a slight cut on the sidewall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title. My inclination would be to change this tire but does anyone else have a similar experience in terms of where the tear is?

Additionally, I was able to drive it all the way home (4ish hours from the pothole) on the highway with zero issues and minimal potholes throughout the way, although none that were as severe as the original one I hit.

This would be my second tire change within a year of owning this car 😃 but I value safety over everything else. A couple hundred in savings isn’t worth a potential what if on a highway.

Thoughts? Additionally, is there a tire that can withstand potholes a bit better? Some of the highways in the southeast are absolute garbage when it comes to maintenance so I feel this will be a recurring expense if I continue driving those roads.

IMG_4679.jpeg
IMG_4680.jpeg

It’s done, you need to replace it.

A little know fact. In California you can file a claim with CalTrans for damage caused by pot holes on state maintained roads. You might check with Georgia.

For your last question. I don’t know about tires that that withstand pot holes better, make sure you get road hazard replacement on the tires you buy.

Edit: Just checked they have Discount Tire stores in the Atlanta area.

IMG_2004.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Discount Tire
It’s done, you need to replace it.

A little know fact. In California you can file a claim with CalTrans for damage caused by pot holes on state maintained roads. You might check with Georgia.

For your last question. I don’t know about tires that that withstand pot holes better, make sure you get road hazard replacement on the tires you buy.

Edit: Just checked they have Discount Tire stores in the Atlanta area.

View attachment 1023684
Just looked into the Discount Tire warranty. I wish I knew about this before I swapped my tires at the Tesla service center. Oh well! Thank you for that information, much appreciated. Warranty seems to be a must these days!

Just looked into the Discount Tire warranty. I wish I knew about this before I swapped my tires at the Tesla service center. Oh well! Thank you for that information, much appreciated. Warranty seems to be a must these days!
DT is cheaper too.

I’ve not done it, but understand DT will sell you road hazard coverage on tires purchased somewhere else.

We would love to be your first choice for tires, however, if circumstances arise where you purchase from somewhere else, Discount Tire will sell the Certificates For Repair, Refund or Replacement on your existing tires. Sidewall damage such as this is a prime example of what the protection covers. Your local store would be happy to get you taken care of.