Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance - Digital Tinnitus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys - recently took delivery of a slightly used '22 M3/P. Love this car but it certainly has it's quirks. I was wondering if anyone had this issue, or if it was considered normal: At highway speeds I can hear a high pitched digital-esque "frequency" sound emitting from somewhere in front of me. Very difficult to describe it outside of something along the lines of "digital tinnitus" or the way a movie might portray digital information being transcribed.

I have a Service Center appointment scheduled for weather strip issues (imagine my surprised in the autowash to feel my arm get sprayed with water!) and am wondering if this is something that might also be worth having addressed?

Reactions: polyphonic54
Some people hear the motors more than others. Normal operation can sound like that to some. There is almost assuredly nothing for service to address for it (or nothing they can address is more accurate) but you can certainly ask. i am sure thats what you will be told though ("Sir/Ma'am those are normal operation sounds").

Reactions: polyphonic54
Upvote 1
That's what I was wondering. This is my first EV so I am not sure what sounds are normal and what aren't. This most certainly doesn't sound normal, or motor-esque.. (it's basically intermittent high pitched frequency beeping) but I literally have no context for what's normal and what isn't.

I appreciate the reply.

Upvote 0
I mic my rear motor for playback purposes. Does it sound like this:

Awesome video. It’s similarly electronic in nature but there’s an intermittent beeping or “signaling” nature to it.

Hard to describe but it’s as though the car is beaming a dial-up era signal out. It doesn’t change with power or speed, however it seems most prominent when cruising on the highway.

Upvote 0