Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Interior camera feed is included as part of “crash snapshots”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm betting it will become a requirement for AP that the interior camera is working.
Just like the GM Supercruise which checks that you're paying attention and not sleeping.
Much better than only checking the steering wheel.
All those work arounds to fake holding the steering wheel become obsolete instantly.

I would be OK with that use. It would hopefully provide legit hands free operation just like GM offers with their system.

I'm betting it will become a requirement for AP that the interior camera is working.
Just like the GM Supercruise which checks that you're paying attention and not sleeping.
Much better than only checking the steering wheel.
All those work arounds to fake holding the steering wheel become obsolete instantly.
I wonder if attaching a photo of someone's face looking forward in front of it would fool it.

• Funny
Reactions: Crispix
What!?!
Why?
Using this logic no vehicles on AP1 should have functional AP.

I think he's assuming that it would be used to determine that the driver is paying attention, but I'm not sure it's positioned in a way to pull that off.

It doesn't appear to be designed to watch the driver. It's more of a generic interior camera that could be used for other stuff.

Reactions: Big Earl
I think he's assuming that it would be used to determine that the driver is paying attention, but I'm not sure it's positioned in a way to pull that off.

It doesn't appear to be designed to watch the driver. It's more of a generic interior camera that could be used for other stuff.

Also for Tesla to protect itself from lawsuits. The interior camera can be used as evidence that the driver was or was not using AP correctly in the event of a crash.

Also for Tesla to protect itself from lawsuits. The interior camera can be used as evidence that the driver was or was not using AP correctly in the event of a crash.

It'd be interesting to see how they use it with FSD. I understand the EAP use case, but FSD is unclear.

Likely it's to provide a massive driver nose picking database. :eek:

It'd be interesting to see how they use it with FSD. I understand the EAP use case, but FSD is unclear.
Once you have true FSD, you might be able to opt your car into a FSD "taxi" service. While you're at work, and not using your car, it can go be part of a network for taxi service and pick up and drop off passengers, making you extra money. The camera would be very useful for seeing if your passengers do anything destructive to your car.

If you own the car, you own the cameras, and you should own and control everything they record. If tesla owns the cameras and their footage, then I'm just RENTING the car from telsa.
I'll be covering the interior spy cam immediately just like I do with my other big brother spying devices.

Then AP should be disabled if this is done.
I would agree that the taxi mode in Tesla Network should be disabled if the camera is off. Not so much in the private use mode. None of the other cars do surveillance of their owners, why should I put up with this in Tesla?
Do you know how the data will be used? In the big data age, they may decide to monetize it, for example, by selling your food/drinks consumption patterns. And why do I have to pay for hardware that will enrich someone else? They should pay me, if they might be wanting to use the data for their advantage.

We’re recorded walking down the street.
We’re recorded in banks.
We’re recorded in stores.
There must be a hundred times a day you could be recorded.
Including in your Tesla.

Tesla is not going to release private footage, or anyone picking their nose.
It would kill the company, why on earth would they do that.
We all know what it’s used for.
They also protect themselves with it. I don’t blame them for that.

Tape it up if you don’t like it.
Leave it if you don’t care.
Simple.

We’re recorded walking down the street.
We’re recorded in banks.
We’re recorded in stores.
There must be a hundred times a day you could be recorded.
Including in your Tesla.

Tesla is not going to release private footage, or anyone picking their nose.
It would kill the company, why on earth would they do that.
We all know what it’s used for.
They also protect themselves with it. I don’t blame them for that.

Tape it up if you don’t like it.
Leave it if you don’t care.
Simple.

It’s not “simple” if they come out and say it’s mandatory for something to be visible. Either way the owners manual clearly states this camera is nonfunctional right now but might be used in the future. So I would love to see how Tesla would be able to suddenly pull out footage from the camera regardless of the reason when the manual clearly states gets a notnfunctioning device. That would be them totally lying to us so there would be lawsuits like crazy.

Them releasing the footage or not is completely irrelevant; they shouldn’t have access to the footage. If even one person at Tesla does then that’s a privacy breach being that the owners manual says it does not function. They can’t just lie to people like that.

• Love
Reactions: Az_Rael
A close friend is a professional truck driver. He recently rear-ended another truck that had just experienced a head on collision with an auto driving the wrong way. It all occurred in a few seconds.
The interior camera on my friends truck (which is always on) saved the moments before and after his accident.
In a post accident interview with the company's safety manager, he was shown the video clip and it showed that he was looking away moments before he rear-ended the truck he was following.(He said he was checking his rear view mirrors)

Too bad that people that text, or otherwise are distracted drivers, do not have to see themselves and their behavior just prior to an accident. Maybe we would all be more attentive. Driving is a serious activity that so many take casually.

It’s not “simple” if they come out and say it’s mandatory for something to be visible. Either way the owners manual clearly states this camera is nonfunctional right now but might be used in the future. So I would love to see how Tesla would be able to suddenly pull out footage from the camera regardless of the reason when the manual clearly states gets a notnfunctioning device. That would be them totally lying to us so there would be lawsuits like crazy.

Them releasing the footage or not is completely irrelevant; they shouldn’t have access to the footage. If even one person at Tesla does then that’s a privacy breach being that the owners manual says it does not function. They can’t just lie to people like that.

Well there you go. ..
Bring on the lawsuits and camera revolt.
We just can’t have this happen can we.
We cannot have that camera turned on or we will have all these lies, deceptions, and privacy breaches to sue over.
This is an outrage.

Well, ever since I’ve been on this forum, there have been discussions about the camera being used for autonomous driving when full auto pilot is eventually in place.
I know you’ve only been around here since August, so maybe you haven’t read enough here yet?
Oh, I have read about some theories (such as monitoring passengers in a potential self-driving taxi mode, which I don't find convincing because you could easily fool it by holding a picture or something in front of the simple 2D camera). Your posting sounded as if you knew it for certain though.

BTW, someone discovered that the interior camera's connector on the logic board is labeled "Selfie" ...

SMILE!! I can confirm the camera inside your Model 3 cabin is a selfie cam! : teslamotors