Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lololol the only complaint I have so far about my order is that they are delivering it to the closest dealership in-state (3 hours away).... instead of delivering to the dealership 20 minutes away from me right across the border in TN. o_O sigh.... scheduled pickup for Tuesday though! Maybe the 3 hour drive back home will give me some time to get acquainted with the car

Welp.... original delivery date was Monday. They called me yesterday to let me know they can't deliver Monday for reasons I can't even remember right now, but they could pull it back to today if I wanted. I had to make some prior travel arrangements, but the idea of getting the car earlier made the hassle of last minute travel plan adjustments worthwhile.

I get there and as the delivery appointment time is approaching, the Tesla rep tells me there's a problem with a driver's side weight sensor for the airbag, and that the fault came up as they were driving the car around to the delivery area. I was visibly perturbed, so they gave me a new SR M3 demo to play with and go grab some lunch while they looked at the issue. (Side note, the interior was fantastic. Nice and quiet and smooth. Performance was nice, but this is a SR and mine's a LR, so I know it'll be more peppy)

I get back an hour later and they still haven't figured the problem out yet, and since it's a safety system issue, they can't deliver the car in that state. They're telling me it'll possibly be Tuesday. So there I was, 130 miles from home with no car and no prospects of a car for a couple of days. I told them the situation and they said they would cover all additional transportation expenses with me coming home and going back to get the car, plus extras to compensate for the inconvenience. They hinted that Supercharger miles are on the table.

I'm disappointed and irritated, but more at the situation than the personnel involved. Their compensation in paying for my travel (Uber + tip one way $225 x 2) and throwing in some extras is fair. But still. Damn. I want my car.

Interestingly, it seems airbag sensor issues is a known issue, going back several years. You'd think they'd have it figured out by now.

Reactions: evfangirl and catxi
Welp.... original delivery date was Monday. They called me yesterday to let me know they can't deliver Monday for reasons I can't even remember right now, but they could pull it back to today if I wanted. I had to make some prior travel arrangements, but the idea of getting the car earlier made the hassle of last minute travel plan adjustments worthwhile.

I get there and as the delivery appointment time is approaching, the Tesla rep tells me there's a problem with a driver's side weight sensor for the airbag, and that the fault came up as they were driving the car around to the delivery area. I was visibly perturbed, so they gave me a new SR M3 demo to play with and go grab some lunch while they looked at the issue. (Side note, the interior was fantastic. Nice and quiet and smooth. Performance was nice, but this is a SR and mine's a LR, so I know it'll be more peppy)

I get back an hour later and they still haven't figured the problem out yet, and since it's a safety system issue, they can't deliver the car in that state. They're telling me it'll possibly be Tuesday. So there I was, 130 miles from home with no car and no prospects of a car for a couple of days. I told them the situation and they said they would cover all additional transportation expenses with me coming home and going back to get the car, plus extras to compensate for the inconvenience. They hinted that Supercharger miles are on the table.

I'm disappointed and irritated, but more at the situation than the personnel involved. Their compensation in paying for my travel (Uber + tip one way $225 x 2) and throwing in some extras is fair. But still. Damn. I want my car.

Interestingly, it seems airbag sensor issues is a known issue, going back several years. You'd think they'd have it figured out by now.
why are you 130 miles from home? there is a dealer in Raleigh and Charlotte NC so is that why?

My "package tray" is also warped on my M3LR. I thought it might have been designed that way since mine is nearly directly in the center, but seeing pictures online showed it me it is meant to be flat. I have a service center appointment on May 6 to fix it (earliest available at my SC)View attachment 1041999
Picked up my M3-RWD today and got the same issue. In the grand scheme of things could be worse, but everything else is good during the delivery. Thanks for folks here calling out this issue, otherwise I won't know to check on this. TBH first sight I thought it was because of the 3rd brake light right under the middle of this 'package tray'.

P.S.: Took an unplanned exit off the freeway to a good spot to take advantage of the setting Sun to show the waviness.

Attachments

• 20240427_184958.jpg
    20240427_184958.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240427_185125.jpg
    20240427_185125.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240427_184948.jpg
    20240427_184948.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Picked up my M3-RWD today and got the same issue. In the grand scheme of things could be worse, but everything else is good during the delivery. Thanks for folks here calling out this issue, otherwise I won't know to check on this. TBH first sight I thought it was because of the 3rd brake light right under the middle of this 'package tray'.

P.S.: Took an unplanned exit off the freeway to a good spot to take advantage of the setting Sun to show the waviness.
Wow. That’s wild. Great pics by the way

why are you 130 miles from home? there is a dealer in Raleigh and Charlotte NC so is that why?
Savannah, GA is my closest dealer location. If I went to Charlotte, it would have been twice the distance.

Tesla can't do direct sales in South Carolina due to the strong car dealership lobby here. There are laws on the books prohibiting OEM sales. Good ol' boy network in play.

Last edited:

That’s definitely crazy, happydad. Sorry you have warping on yours as well. Seems like that initial Package Tray part is too wide for the car and hence causing it to warp; especially if it’s baking in the hot sun. I still haven’t set a Service appointment yet for mine to get replaced but will soon. Yes, great photos.

Reactions: evfangirl

That looks worse than mine. 😳