Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many HP is the previous M3P?
There has never been any reference to power in the UK but the maximum, net power is given on the registration document.

IMG_3587.jpeg

It was 377kW (513PS) for the 3L variant and 393kW (534PS) for the 5L variant. Already greater than 500hp.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
There has never been any reference to power in the UK but the maximum, net power is given on the registration document.

View attachment 1039245

It was 377kW (513PS) for the 3L variant and 393kW (534PS) for the 5L variant. Already greater than 500hp.
Yes. That is the only reference to maximum power. Although it is just the addition of the certified motor power levels.
158kW + 219kW = 377kW
158kW + 235kW = 393kW

In both cases the battery was the only driver of actual road power, like in your case your 377kW car already had the same motors as the 393kW car that was introduced in Q2/2022. It is confusing for the customer that his 393kW (LG) car is slower than the older 377kW (Panasonic) car.

Also spotted 3.2 seconds in the source, adjacent to a different range number :oops:

{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance","range":329,"topspeed":145,"overrides":[{"content":{"topspeed":162},"selected_by":{"and":["$SPT31"]}}],"acceleration":3.2}

Reactions: eivissa
Isn’t the current M3P officially advertised at something like 450hp?
That’s the US figure. The EPA site currently lists 131 KW(175 HP) for the front motor and 190 KW(255 HP) for the rear motor. That is a combined 321 KW(430 HP).

However, those motor numbers vary all across the world and they are largely meaningless. They don’t correlate with any of the real world numbers we see when reading the Canbus data.

The one exception are the numbers @eivissa cites. Those numbers EXACTLY matchup to the MIC cars and are very close to what I see with my 2022 Model 3 Performance that was made in Freemont with the 82.1 kWh Panasonic battery.

Don’t get hung up on HP figures. Most countries don’t have any regulations about a max HP value that the EV motors can produce so Tesla can report any number they want to those governments.

Also, the motors have different rpms that they peak at so you can’t just combine the peak motor values for a single max HP value. In fact the new car is predicted to have a vastly different rear motor peak HP rpm value. That drastically changes what the HP curve looks like.

In an EV max HP is typically only sustained for a fraction of a second because typically they have a single speed transmission. The HP curve is what is so important in most EVs.

A 50 HP difference from 450 HP to 500+ HP could be an 80+ HP difference at higher rpms because of the way the motor power drops off disproportionally between the front and rear motors.

I wouldn’t even care if the max combined rated HP values decreased as long as the rest of the curve increased with an EV.

IMG_4765.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also spotted 3.2 seconds in the source, adjacent to a different range number :oops:

{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance","range":329,"topspeed":145,"overrides":[{"content":{"topspeed":162},"selected_by":{"and":["$SPT31"]}}],"acceleration":3.2}
Zero chance it gets slower. That just isn’t going to happen.

At this point I’m hoping that their frontend engineers are just toying with people. Put a random number generator in there and add (uniform(0, 0.5)) to 2.7, incremented on each page load 😁
With the recent layoffs the front end guys are also going to be designing bumpers.

2.7 would be a nice number as 3.0 feels boring after 3 months of daily driving a 22 3p.

Reactions: TimTam

FWIW I agree with you- but dark horse thought-

They're not selling boost on the LR because they want the new, slower, P to still look good :)

(again, I don't think this is true, but it did pop into my head and is kinda funny... more likely I'd guess boost will be a revenue stream they open up later on LR AFTER the new fast model has been on the market for a while... because otherwise I can't see any reason it's not offered at all right now)

Reactions: tivoboy

They're not selling boost on the LR because they want the new, slower, P to still look good :)

(again, I don't think this is true, but it did pop into my head and is kinda funny... more likely I'd guess boost will be a revenue stream they open up later on LR AFTER the new fast model has been on the market for a while... because otherwise I can't see any reason it's not offered at all right now)
The boost was a good option as plenty of videos of P's only getting ahead on the initial acceleration and then it's basically they were the same speed and the small lead would just stay the same. I imagine it lost them some Performance car sales.

That’s the US figure. The EPA site currently lists 131 KW(175 HP) for the front motor and 190 KW(255 HP) for the rear motor. That is a combined 321 KW(430 HP).

However, those motor numbers vary all across the world and they are largely meaningless. They don’t correlate with any of the real world numbers we see when reading the Canbus data.

The one exception are the numbers @eivissa cites. Those numbers EXACTLY matchup to the MIC cars and are very close to what I see with my 2022 Model 3 Performance that was made in Freemont with the 82.1 kWh Panasonic battery.

Don’t get hung up on HP figures. Most countries don’t have any regulations about a max HP value that the EV motors can produce so Tesla can report any number they want to those governments.

Also, the motors have different rpms that they peak at so you can’t just combine the peak motor values for a single max HP value. In fact the new car is predicted to have a vastly different rear motor peak HP rpm value. That drastically changes what the HP curve looks like.

In an EV max HP is typically only sustained for a fraction of a second because typically they have a single speed transmission. The HP curve is what is so important in most EVs.

A 50 HP difference from 450 HP to 500+ HP could be an 80+ HP difference at higher rpms because of the way the motor power drops off disproportionally between the front and rear motors.

I wouldn’t even care if the max combined rated HP values decreased as long as the rest of the curve increased with an EV.

View attachment 1039262
Oh, I’m tracking the real-world numbers very wildly, but was just looking at it through the lens of advertised numbers as one means to determine if it actually has ~50 more Hp!

I think you are right. I looked again and there is what appears to be historical data, in date order in the source. There must have been a Performance model which had range of 329 miles and 0-60 of 3.2s in the past?

:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance","range":329,"topspeed":145,"overrides":[{"content":{"topspeed":162},"selected_by":{"and":["$SPT31"]}}],"acceleration":3.2},"$MT315"
:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive","range":360,"topspeed":145,"overrides":[{"content":{"range":360,"topspeed":145,"acceleration":3.7},"selected_by":{"and":["$FM3U"]}}],"acceleration":4.2,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT316"
:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive","range":360,"topspeed":145,"overrides":[{"content":{"range":360,"topspeed":145,"acceleration":3.7},"selected_by":{"and":["$FM3U"]}}],"acceleration":4.2,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT317"
:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance","range":352,"postfix":"*","topspeed":162,"acceleration":3.1,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT320"
:{"name":"Standard Range Plus Rear-Wheel Drive","range":267,"topspeed":140,"acceleration":5.3},"$MT322"
:{"name":"Standard Range Plus Rear-Wheel Drive","range":305,"topspeed":140,"acceleration":5.8,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT323"
:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive","range":360,"topspeed":145,"overrides":[{"content":{"range":360,"topspeed":145,"acceleration":3.7},"selected_by":{"and":["$FM3U"]}}],"acceleration":4.2,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT325"
:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance","range":340,"postfix":"*","topspeed":162,"acceleration":3.1,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT328"
:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive","range":374,"topspeed":145,"overrides":[{"content":{"range":374,"topspeed":145,"acceleration":3.7},"selected_by":{"and":["$FM3U"]}}],"acceleration":4.2,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT337"
:{"name":"Standard Range Plus Rear-Wheel Drive","range":278,"topspeed":140,"acceleration":5.3,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT340"
:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance","range":340,"postfix":"*","topspeed":162,"acceleration":3.1,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT341"
:{"name":"Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive","range":385,"topspeed":145,"acceleration":5.6,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"},"$MT351"

The Highland models appear at the end of this list, with "Performance (Dummy Values)" at the very end :cool:

:{"name":"Rear-Wheel Drive","range":318,"topspeed":125,"acceleration":5.8,"cargo_capacity":682,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link","seating_capacity_adults":5},"$MT352"
:{"name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive","range":390,"topspeed":125,"acceleration":4.2,"cargo_capacity":682,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link","seating_capacity_adults":5},"$MT353"
:{"name":"Peformance (Dummy Values)","range":100,"topspeed":100,"acceleration":1.1,"range_units_override":"range_units_epa_link"}}}

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd

This is just a guess but I honestly don't think they will ever have the boost upgrade for the LR again. I think they want to separate the LR from the more Performance oriented models.