Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1714442829194.png

Another photo of white exterior. Love how the black accents pop on the P. I also keep going back and forth between white and ultra red 🤔

Yep, white is the best color when you want to see all the fine details/body lines of the vehicle and get that contrast (pop).
I was back-n-forth between white and Ultra Red. However, since my current M3P is white, I decided to go with Ultra Red to switch things up. Still love the contrast/pop that white produces, though…
Yeah I had my previous M3LR wrapped in a satin pearl white and it was fantastic. The only drawback with white is the rock chips are really noticeable because of the color of the primer underneath. This wouldn't be an issue though if one were to have ppf on it!

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Anyone speak German! Nein! Nein! Nein! Check out video at 12:25.

Interesting, at about the 14:45 mark, Lars (the VP of vehicle engineering at Tesla) discusses how the pirelli summer tires were specifically designed for the M3P, and that switching to non-Tesla, regular summer tires can potentially impact range by 10% (he quotes that he's guessing), but he sounded more certain when he cited a loss of 5-7% in lateral grip.

So for those of us looking to downsize in wheel and tire size, our only option (at least for now) would be to hopefully access the tires that come standard on MIC M3P since those come with 19s.

Lars (the VP of vehicle engineering at Tesla) discusses how the pirelli summer tires were specifically designed for the M3P, and that switching to non-Tesla, regular summer tires can potentially impact range by 10% (he quotes that he's guessing), but he sounded more certain when he cited a loss of 5-7% in lateral grip.
The Pirelli tyres have an EU tyre label rating C for rolling resistance, which is very good. As a yardstick, a regular Michelin PS4S is D rated and the T0 version E rated. Range can very easily be reduced by 10%.

Tesla fit Hankook iON EVO to the optional 19" wheels on the LR. These are B rated and also available in 20". Will be interesting to see what the 19" P tyres are, probably Pirelli.

Interesting, at about the 14:45 mark, Lars (the VP of vehicle engineering at Tesla) discusses how the pirelli summer tires were specifically designed for the M3P, and that switching to non-Tesla, regular summer tires can potentially impact range by 10% (he quotes that he's guessing), but he sounded more certain when he cited a loss of 5-7% in lateral grip.

So for those of us looking to downsize in wheel and tire size, our only option (at least for now) would be to hopefully access the tires that come standard on MIC M3P since those come with 19s.
I will have a set of 18” wheels with the ultra efficient Hankook iON EVO AS tires and another set of the same tires in the 20” size to test against the stock 20” Pirelli PZ4 tires when I get my car.

I really want to use the factory Pirelli tires as track tires and the Hankook tires as my everyday tires. I am curious to see how the Pirelli tires hold up to the Hankook tires for efficiency.

• Helpful
Reactions: P-Lo801
The Pirelli tyres have an EU tyre label rating C for rolling resistance, which is very good. As a yardstick, a regular Michelin PS4S is D rated and the T0 version E rated. Range can very easily be reduced by 10%.

Tesla fit Hankook iON EVO to the optional 19" wheels on the LR. These are B rated and also available in 20". Will be interesting to see what the 19" P tyres are, probably Pirelli.
Anyone know the specs of the 19” tires on the Chinese version?

Anyone speak German! Nein! Nein! Nein! Check out video at 12:25.

Thx for sending 👍🏽 so ok he’s basically saying there wouldn’t be any software update to make a 460hp LG produce 510hp. ‘It’s the battery’… so not much they can do about it. What’s sad is if they knew the LG output is lower per cell, then add a few more cells (structure permitting) and bloody figure it out.

EM… seems checked out and he’s already mentally gone to Mars. If he truly wanted to, he’d have figured out a way. The man can send people to mars but cant match a battery kw on one of the most sought after and hyped up trim levels?

I wonder how any Lud update would affect or whether it wouldn’t be avail for LG batteries. That would be a disaster for non US owners.

Damn. I guess being in Canada I’ll have to find a way to import a U.S. one eventually.
Or…move. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: milesr3
Thx for sending 👍🏽 so ok he’s basically saying there wouldn’t be any software update to make a 460hp LG produce 510hp. ‘It’s the battery’… so not much they can do about it. What’s sad is if they knew the LG output is lower per cell, then add a few more cells (structure permitting) and bloody figure it out.

EM… seems checked out and he’s already mentally gone to Mars. If he truly wanted to, he’d have figured out a way. The man can send people to mars but cant match a battery kw on one of the most sought after and hyped up trim levels?

I wonder how any Lud update would affect or whether it wouldn’t be avail for LG batteries. That would be a disaster for non US owners.

Damn. I guess being in Canada I’ll have to find a way to import a U.S. one eventually.
Or…move. :)
I couldn’t care less about the battery. This is my 1st Tesla and the new car is priced 20% cheaper then what the out going car was a couple of years back and it’s definitely a better offering. A 3 second 0 to 100 KPH with great brakes and suspension for $AUD80K here in Oz, nothing even comes close. I guess you could always wait for the next model or even the one after that! :)

Last edited:
Honestly, this talk about the Horsepower difference between the MIC cars and the US cars is so misguided. Both the 450 HP and 510 HP figures Tesla is stating are literally made up numbers. They have no connection to actual numbers that the battery is producing. Yes there is a difference between the Panasonic and LG batteries but no it isn't a 50 HP difference throughout an entire pass.

In the UK they explicitly say the 0-60 mph is 2.9 seconds and that car has 460 HP while the US car has the exact same 0-60 mph figure but it has 510 HP. How can the car with 50 HP less have the same 0-60 mph you might ask? The reason is that the HP numbers they are giving for both of the cars are utterly meaningless. The time the car spends at max HP is incredibly short in a single speed EV. The whole power curve matters SO MUCH MORE because you are not constantly shifting back into the power band like an ICE car.

UK Model 3 0-60.jpg

Please don't get caught up in these specs that Tesla is listing. Yes, the US car will be slightly quicker than the MIC car but it isn't going to be a 50 HP difference.

If the US car did 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds with rollout subtracted and 510 HP then the UK car would be doing it in 3.2 seconds or more with rollout subtracted. That would be slower than the previous generation car.

Honestly, wait till we see some actual Dragy runs without passengers. With the motor power and torque increases they stated the US car absolutely should be able to do 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds without subtracting rollout.

Cammisa even said that the car was doing "2.90" as an AVERAGE with going uphill vs. downhill. He even listed a "3.04" number on Twitter. If he was saying the average was 2.90 and the slowest was 3.04 then he had some 2.8 numbers in there too. He guaranteed that this car will do a "2.90" in virtually any conditions. With passengers? No problem. Without a full battery? No problem.

I really think Tesla wanted to make sure that this new car hit the specs they state no matter what. Every person who tries a 0-60 mph run will get a 2.90 or better with rollout subtracted every single time they try it. However, in most cases it will be better than that number.

I believe they didn't list a 1/4 mile time because that is extremely battery heat dependent especially in this car since it hits max battery power for a longer amount of time than the old car. The 1/4 mile times in this new car will probably fluctuate a lot based on what the "Max Discharge Value" is because it will actually be coming close to that level now in all cars.

Sit back and wait till people can do proper testing on these new cars before you really decide if you want it or not. What is written in the specs only tells you the minimum acceleration and power that the car can have. There is nothing stopping them from exceeding those specifications in reality.

Remember the Kia EV6 GT and Hyundai Ioniq 5N are listing their HP figures as Battery Power figures. If Tesla listed the battery power figure like Hyundai/Kia does then even the old car would have 436 KW(585 HP). The new one would likely have even more power.

Last edited:
Honestly, this talk about the Horsepower difference between the MIC cars and the US cars is so misguided. Both the 450 HP and 510 HP figures Tesla is stating are literally made up numbers. They have no connection to actual numbers that the battery is producing. Yes there is a difference between the Panasonic and LG batteries but no it isn't a 50 HP difference throughout an entire pass.

In the UK they explicitly say the 0-60 mph is 2.9 seconds and that car has 460 HP while the US car has the exact same 0-60 mph figure but it has 510 HP. How can the car with 50 HP less have the same 0-60 mph you might ask? The reason is that the HP numbers they are giving for both of the cars are utterly meaningless. The time the car spends at max HP is incredibly short in a single speed EV. The whole power curve matters SO MUCH MORE because you are not constantly shifting back into the power band like an ICE car.

View attachment 1043091

Please don't get caught up in these specs that Tesla is listing. Yes, the US car will be slightly quicker than the MIC car but it isn't going to be a 50 HP difference.

If the US car did 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds with rollout subtracted and 510 HP then the UK car would be doing it in 3.2 seconds or more with rollout subtracted. That would be slower than the previous generation car.

Honestly, wait till we see some actual Dragy runs without passengers. With the motor power and torque increases they stated the US car absolutely should be able to do 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds without subtracting rollout.

Cammisa even said that the car was doing "2.90" as an AVERAGE with going uphill vs. downhill. He even listed a "3.04" number on Twitter. If he was saying the average was 2.90 and the slowest was 3.04 then he had some 2.8 numbers in there too. He guaranteed that this car will do a "2.90" in virtually any conditions. With passengers? No problem. Without a full battery? No problem.

I really think Tesla wanted to make sure that this new car hit the specs they state no matter what. Every person who tries a 0-60 mph run will get a 2.90 or better with rollout subtracted every single time they try it. However, in most cases it will be better than that number.

I believe they didn't list a 1/4 mile time because that is extremely battery heat dependent especially in this car since it hits max battery power for a longer amount of time than the old car. The 1/4 mile times in this new car will probably fluctuate a lot based on what the "Max Discharge Value" is because it will actually be coming close to that level now in all cars.

Sit back and wait till people can do proper testing on these new cars before you really decide if you want it or not. What is written in the specs only tells you the minimum acceleration and power that the car can have. There is nothing stopping them from exceeding those specifications in reality.

Remember the Kia EV6 GT and Hyundai Ioniq 5N are listing their HP figures as Battery Power figures. If Tesla listed the battery power figure like Hyundai/Kia does then even the old car would have 436 KW(585 HP). The new one would likely have even more power.

I agree, the performance improvements are more significant than people seem to realize. Cammisa gave a glowing review of the car, but I don’t think he guaranteed anything..

Maybe they’re using a 2 foot rollout for the UK numbers. Those pesky unit conversions.

• Funny
Reactions: JezzaE and mpgxsvcd
I agree, the performance improvements are more significant than people seem to realize. Cammisa gave a glowing review of the car, but I don’t think he guaranteed anything..

Maybe they’re using a 2 foot rollout for the UK numbers. Those pesky unit conversions.
He said "Tesla claims 2.90"..... "I averaged 2.90 with a passenger and 88% SOC" ..... "So I'm going to call that verified". His point was that it absolutely can do what Tesla is claiming if not even better than that.

I also find it extremely interesting how he describes the launch of the new car. He says "I flat footed it and Holy Sh!t! You get a CRACK through the whole chassis because of how violently it engages those motors". He is describing something the old car definitely doesn't do. That "CRACK" part he is describing is "Jerk"(Rate of change of acceleration. The derivative of acceleration). That is definitely something the old car didn't have and something that will benefit the 60' time greatly.