Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The insight is useless because it is misleading. I can promise you that the US version won't be slower than the current car, which already pins you in your seat at launch. The launch wasn't even a topic until the misleading review. There's nothing for you to be so defensive of. Aussie cars are SLOWER. Period. Tesla says so. You can try to rationalize that all you want, but it won't change the FACT that Aussie cars come with WORSE batteries. It's funny that your comeback is to pretend like "Made in China" adds quality in ANY industry.
We have been through this.

They are, but only just, like 30hp above 70mph and they also weigh 20kg more.

The 0-60mph and 0-100kph time is the same for both batteries.

Tesla also "say" 460hp and 510hp, when in reality we KNOW the peak power difference is actually 555hp to 585hp and the same as before.

From a power perspective, all the differences come after 70mph in the new car.

He must be new to Chill mode.
I actually know this person irl.

He is a very experienced racer and has had a 2019m3p, tracked it, hillclimbed it.

I trust his judgement although there could be some extenuating circumstances. I have my own test drive on friday which I'm hoping to take a draggy too and get a sneaky true 0-100kph on the highway.

He is a very experienced racer and has had a 2019m3p, tracked it, hillclimbed it.

I trust his judgement although there could be some extenuating circumstances. I have my own test drive on friday which I'm hoping to take a draggy too and get a sneaky true 0-100kph on the highway.
Will be interested to see your review when you drive it. I, like most others have said it definitely feels faster off the line and when doing pulls. And it does push you back into the seat, unless I just imagined all those things, but I don't think I did.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd

I was being facetious though it's still strange hear he wasn't thrown back in his seat. But like you said could be many things.

As for you taking a draggy with you on the test drive, lmao, that's awesome and hope you get some alone time. But please whatever you do we want to read all about it here and not in the news, be safe!

Would have been helpful if your friend could have stated what SoC he tested the car in. It may not have been low enough to matter, or it could have - we don't know but still useful information nonetheless. On top of that, was he the only one in the car?

Tesla also "say" 460hp and 510hp, when in reality we KNOW the peak power difference is actually 555hp to 585hp and the same as before.

"We" haven't been through this. And NOBODY has compared a US spec car with an Aussie one. NOBODY. Lastly, physics classes teach that more power (nearly 10%) and less weight both impact acceleration. After 70 is where the old car was weak. You're saying that the new Aussie car is SIMILAR in performance to the older Model 3 performance, which is true.

"We" haven't been through this. And NOBODY has compared a US spec car with an Aussie one. NOBODY. Lastly, physics classes teach that more power (nearly 10%) and less weight both impact acceleration. After 70 is where the old car was weak. You're saying that the new Aussie car is SIMILAR in performance to the older Model 3 performance, which is true.

Except it isn't 10% more power, its actually more like 4% more with 40lbs more weight. Tesla can say 460/510 all they want, the cars don't make that.

What I'm saying is, the batteries are the same so we know what the max power the cars can draw is, that's 556hp~ for the LG and 580hp~ for the Panasonic. The only real unknown is for how long they can hold that power. With the new motor setup both cars should be quite a bit faster over 70mph.

I believe the test drive cars have been limited to 85mph/137kph at least here in Aus, so we won't really know the full differences until deliveries. I have my own test drive on friday so ill see for myself.

Reactions: TehEno
Except it isn't 10% more power, its actually more like 4% more with 40lbs more weight. Tesla can say 460/510 all they want, the cars don't make that.

What I'm saying is, the batteries are the same so we know what the max power the cars can draw is, that's 556hp~ for the LG and 580hp~ for the Panasonic. The only real unknown is for how long they can hold that power. With the new motor setup both cars should be quite a bit faster over 70mph.

I believe the test drive cars have been limited to 85mph/137kph at least here in Aus, so we won't really know the full differences until deliveries. I have my own test drive on friday so ill see for myself.
I'll help you with the math; 510 - 460 is 50hp difference. That is to say that the US specification car has an INCREASE of almost 11%. Again, "we" don't know anything else. But I'll take the lighter and more powerful car any day. Enjoy your test drive and car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ultimos and MarkoP
I'll help you with the math; 510 - 460 is 50hp difference. That is to say that the US specification car has an INCREASE of almost 11%. Again, "we" don't know anything else. But I'll take the lighter and more powerful car any day. Enjoy your test drive and car.
Bro, how many times do we have to tell you. That isn't ACTUALLY what the cars make. Tesla could say they transform into a submarine for all I care, but we know in the real world what they make. Tesla marketing is the least accurate of the 4 ways we can find the power ratings.

They have the same battery pack so we know what it can do, which I have told you already, these have been directly measured, the REAL difference is 22kw, 415kw/556hp for LG as reported by the Canbus, and 437kw/585hp for the Panasonic. That's 22kw/29hp and 5% peak power difference. The Panasonic pack is the heavier one, 20kg/44lbs more offsetting some of the power difference although not all of it.

Those are all the facts above. The unknowns is how long the cars can now hold their peak power. That will determine the difference in real world speed.

So stop saying there is 50hp and 11% difference, there isn't. lol

Yes and as a sidenote: The LG pack seems to lose way less power with lower SOC than the Panasonic ones. So the US car is "faster" at very high SOC (90%-100%), maybe as fast as LG between 70-90% and "slower" below 70%... And degradation of the LG pack apparently is way less than the Panasonic ones.
I think both US and ROW cars have their own positive and negative sides pack wise. Well, let's wait for some 1/4 mile comparisons!!

EDIT: Just enjoy the car as it is!

Last edited:
This really has turn into a pointless d..k measuring competition between the 2 spec cars on what is probably a tenth here or there. This car is exceptionally well priced regardless of whether it comes out of Shanghai or Fremont. If you’ve unhappy feel free to pick up the new Taycan Turbo S if your wallet is fat enough.

It seems to be that to me too, or people just being contrarian with each other just to be contrarian, or in a somewhat grade school attempt at "mines better". Its not just one person, either. I am not really a fan, either as a regular poster, nor with my moderator hat on.

If that sidebar continues in the tone its been previously going on in, ill probably take some action. I dont mind discussing any possible differences between the US and international version, but the tone needs to shift in that discussion.

This really has turn into a pointless d..k measuring competition between the 2 spec cars on what is probably a tenth here or there. This car is exceptionally well priced regardless of whether it comes out of Shanghai or Fremont. If you’ve unhappy feel free to pick up the new Taycan Turbo S if your wallet is fat enough.
1715701673688.png

Don't know why you feel offended here to be honoust. This kind of reactions don't contribute imho. Wonder what @jjrandorin thinks about this.
My point was: Just enjoy the car as it is, iso "superior" vs "trash" bla bla.
Did you just tag an admin because you don't like hearing about others' real-world experience? Here's mine. I had a 2023 M3P for 2 days shy of a year. Falls on its face after 50 Mph. The new one, even with a 10%, hell, a 20% increase in power is still going to feel just like the old car, slightly elevated. That's it. Anyone saying it doesn't stop pulling or is way better at higher speeds is full of it. Slightly better when measured with test equipment? Sure. Is it going to change the overall driving experience? I doubt it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Clivew and Adam3
Did you just tag an admin because you don't like hearing about others' real-world experience? Here's mine. I had a 2023 M3P for 2 days shy of a year. Falls on its face after 50 Mph. The new one, even with a 10%, hell, a 20% increase in power is still going to feel just like the old car, slightly elevated. That's it. Anyone saying it doesn't stop pulling or is way better at higher speeds is full of it. Slightly better when measured with test equipment? Sure. Is it going to change the overall driving experience? I doubt it.
That's the thing, everyone who HAS driven it says it is significantly changed. 20% more power across the power band above 60mph is a lot. That's 100hp more over 60mph, that is pretty significant.

Anyway, all the speculation will be over soon. Looks like deliveries are imminent in the USA and I will have my draggy on my test drive here in Australia and ill be sure get as much data as I can at legal speeds. If I get enough time there is also a public weighbridge pretty close by.