Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The table doesn't make sense in some ways, it shows 90% soc being slower than 70% which we KNOW isn't true. Likely a traction issue. If you look at the battery temp differences in the table there is a 20degre delta which is huge and likely a big cause for the differences. While this kind of data is useful, it shouldn't be taken as gospel.

At the end of the day, this was a LG car, with 2 up, dodging cars on the highway at 33%. Since there is nothing to compare we don't really know. I can assure you, a 33% LG "old" m3p, isn't doing anywhere near a 3.6 though.

Until we have the cars and can do some testing noone really knows what will happen. Other than the US spec cars will be slightly faster up top.
1000003009.jpg

This is the best graph I've found over the years that shows the oM3P (o for: original... old... OG, whatever). I think around 75% power starts falling off. Then again, some of that could likely be adjusted in software and who knows what Tesla does, they're so opaque.

View attachment 1046371

This is the best graph I've found over the years that shows the oM3P (o for: original... old... OG, whatever). I think around 75% power starts falling off. Then again, some of that could likely be adjusted in software and who knows what Tesla does, they're so opaque.

SoC doesn't impact 0-60 near as much as the quarter mile. All of these anecdotes driving the car are nice to read but really can't put weight on them until we get some instrumented tests. At this point, I'm just hoping they improved the 60-120mph a bit more given the battery limitations. Also hoping they release a new battery sometime in the future that improves the performance a bit more

It is very important to remember that the 32% increase in rear motor power happens at vastly different rpms.

The old rear motor hit peak HP at about 40 mph. The new motor has been said to peak at 68 mph. That is a significant gap in speed. More HP at a significantly higher speed isn’t automatically better because at higher speeds it requires more power to sustain the same acceleration.

What you want is for the peak HP to be sustained to a higher speed and not just peak later. That is precisely what I think this rear motor will do.

Some guy in Australia says it doesn't push him into the seat like the old M3P. Time to cancel my order.

Also, Australia gets the nerfed model right..
I would say the insight is quite useful to pretty much everyone outside of the US actually.

The black paint with white interior doesn’t qualify for the US Federal tax credit? *sugar* I better cancel my order.

Also, America gets the poorly built models right…

I would say the insight is quite useful to pretty much everyone outside of the US actually.

The black paint with white interior doesn’t qualify for the US Federal tax credit? *sugar* I better cancel my order.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see any feedback on this new car. The part discussing the launch and speed was the most interesting part of it to me since he's indicating the speed is not noticeably improved like other reviews seem to imply. Like mpgxsdfg said, maybe the performance is highly dependent on the temperature of the pack. "Give me 30 minutes to precondition and I'll show you how quick this baby is" lol.

And the part about his slenderman elbows hitting the seat bolsters is a reminder of how subjective these impressions are. Like that top gear guy saying we want a soundtrack or some fake engine noises.

Fleming seems to point to the suspension, seats, and "different gearing" as causing the difference in sensation, not a difference in acceleration. The transmission is the same between all 3's (9.03:1) so that just leaves suspension and seats. He mentions the front end doesn't tip up when accelerating (good suspension) so I think that contributes to his subjective impression along with the seats that distribute the pressure better on the cheeks and handles.

Is anyone else getting concerned and/or annoyed by the complete lack of carte blanche hands on reviews of this car? There has to be some reason they're still under embargo. I have to wonder if maybe they're trying to add some new things via firmware before they allow people to truly judge the car and publish their impressions.
It is weird considering it's shipping real soon and nothing. Youtubers loving making videos and yet there are no videos anywhere.

The insight is useless because it is misleading. I can promise you that the US version won't be slower than the current car, which already pins you in your seat at launch. The launch wasn't even a topic until the misleading review. There's nothing for you to be so defensive of. Aussie cars are SLOWER. Period. Tesla says so. You can try to rationalize that all you want, but it won't change the FACT that Aussie cars come with WORSE batteries. It's funny that your comeback is to pretend like "Made in China" adds quality in ANY industry.