Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting views. FWIW, the ventilated seats on the highland aren't that strong. The S and X, you can really feel the cool air. But the 3 was disappointing during my test drive. Just something to consider

The Performance have different seats and MBL said the seats were pretty good on ventilation and go all the way to the neck.

Hoping the seats are better than what you experienced.

The cynical side of me thinks Tesla has an extended embargo on early access reviewers reporting the new M3P’s 1/4 mile numbers/times because the results are not very impressive. Hope I’m wrong…

Regardless of the 1/4 mile numbers/results, I was/am ready to purchase the new M3P. So, absolutely zero regrets with my launch day order!
Almost all of the benefit of the new motor happens after 40 mph. How could the new 1/4 mile times be disappointing?

I honestly think that the reviewers just simply didn’t have the desire to rip off a 10 second 1/4 mile at 125+ mph on public streets. They could do 0-60 mph runs without many consequences but not 1/4 mile runs.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Almost all of the benefit of the new motor happens after 40 mph. How could the new 1/4 mile times be disappointing?

I honestly think that the reviewers just simply didn’t have the desire to rip off a 10 second 1/4 mile at 125+ mph on public streets. They could do 0-60 mph runs without many consequences but not 1/4 mile runs.
You may be correct. But, it appears 1/4 mile results are very important to many, including Tesla (if we believe all the comments in this thread). If so and since Tesla still has not revealed those numbers, then the cynical side of me thinks the actual results may be disappointing. I’m sure you realize that Tesla has already performed 1/4 mile testing/runs and knows exactly what those numbers are. Don’t you think if they were impressive, then Tesla would have published those numbers along with their released 0-60 times? Great 1/4 mile numbers would increase interest/sales even more. Yes?
Does this make sense now?

So, just like with the somewhat disappointing 0-60 number, I think the performance enthusiasts will feel the same way with the 1/4 mile numbers. Again, hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Assuming these will be on amazon/ebay soon ...

Ah no just keep the inserts in. Plugs would be unsightly. Like those front bumper plugs but there's like 100 of them on each wheel.

You may be correct. But, it appears 1/4 mile results are very important to many, including Tesla (if we believe all the comments in this thread). If so and since Tesla still has not revealed those numbers, then the cynical side of me thinks the actual results may be disappointing. I’m sure you realize that Tesla has already performed 1/4 mile testing/runs and knows exactly what those numbers are. Don’t you think if they were impressive, then Tesla would have published those numbers along with their released 0-60 times? Great 1/4 mile numbers would increase interest/sales even more. Yes?

So, just like with the somewhat disappointing 0-60 number, I think the performance enthusiasts will feel the same way with the 1/4 mile numbers. Again, hope I’m wrong.
Tesla sold so many of the new Model 3 Performance cars that they had to raise the price within a couple of days and delay expected delivery dates a month or more. That is all while only announcing a minimal 0-60 mph improvement. They have all of the demand they could possibly handle for the car right now without releasing impressive specs.

My guess is that they are banking some demand. If they don't disclose the 1/4 mile time now they can wait a month to disclose it and then have an influx of new orders then when they announce an impressive number. The last thing Tesla needs right at this very moment is more demand. They would much rather have demand increase in a month when the newness of the car would normally wear off.

There is absolutely no way Jason Camissa was as impressed with this car as he was if the 1/4 mile is disappointing. That just isn't a thing.

Whoa are you trying to fight? Asking “does this make sense now?” implies you had to “break it down” because he lacks the mental acuity to comprehend an already simple concept. The best resolution is through physical violence. Maybe tmc will sponsor a cage match. Hokie vs mpgxasdf!

More on topic, it’s a good sign that the early reviews seem to indicate the acceleration is impressive and doesn’t fall off.

• Funny
Reactions: arkhos
Tesla sold so many of the new Model 3 Performance cars that they had to raise the price within a couple of days and delay expected delivery dates a month or more. That is all while only announcing a minimal 0-60 mph improvement. They have all of the demand they could possibly handle for the car right now without releasing impressive specs.

My guess is that they are banking some demand. If they don't disclose the 1/4 mile time now they can wait a month to disclose it and then have an influx of new orders then when they announce an impressive number. The last thing Tesla needs right at this very moment is more demand. They would much rather have demand increase in a month when the newness of the car would normally wear off.

There is absolutely no way Jason Camissa was as impressed with this car as he was if the 1/4 mile is disappointing. That just isn't a thing.
Said another way - demand isn’t linear, but production is. Spacing out demand is what they want so they can better match production. And if you can space out demand and increase margin at the same time, winner winner chicken dinner for Tesla.

Whoa are you trying to fight? Asking “does this make sense now?” implies you had to “break it down” because he lacks the mental acuity to comprehend an already simple concept. The best resolution is through physical violence. Maybe tmc will sponsor a cage match. Hokie vs mpgxasdf!

More on topic, it’s a good sign that the early reviews seem to indicate the acceleration is impressive and doesn’t fall off.

I think you completely misunderstood my post. Definitely was not meant as an insult of any sort.
If it was interpreted that way, then my apologies to @mpgxsvcd.
I probably should have worded my comment/question in a better way.
Perhaps I should have worded it this way: “Does this explanation better explain my cynicism/skepticism?”

On the lighter side. I’ve been known to settle disagreements with an arm wrestle. 💪😉🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Surely they can offer the wheels without the holes. What brain surgeon thought that this would be a good look!

Yeah, I was hoping the 20” forged wheels would not have those holes. I think there were some early photos posted, which showed the Warps wheels with no holes. I’ll have to reserve judgment on the Warp wheels with the supplied covers, until I actually receive my vehicle. But, my initial thought is to remove those wheel covers, unless the uncovered holes simply make the wheel look terrible. Not sure how I feel about using plugs to cover the holes…

I’ve never heard of Jason Camissa, but hope he (and you) are correct about the 1/4 mile performance….
I spelled his name wrong but he is definitely well respected in the world of Automotive journalism. Until this point he has been extremely unforgiving when reviewing EVs because of their lack of emotion. He definitely was impressed with this Model 3.

Yeah, I was hoping the 20” forged wheels would not have those holes. I think there were some early photos posted, which showed the Warps wheels with no holes. I’ll have to reserve judgment on the Warp wheels with the supplied covers, until I actually receive my vehicle. But, my initial thought is to remove those wheel covers, unless the uncovered holes simply make the wheel look terrible. Not sure how I feel about using plugs to cover the holes…
They aren’t really plugs, just smaller aero clips. See pic from China M3 below.

IMG_6536.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: GreenHokie
I think you completely misunderstood my post. Definitely was not meant as an insult of any sort.
If it was interpreted that way, then my apologies to @mpgxsvcd.
I probably should have worded my comment/question in a better way.
Perhaps I should have worded it this way: “Does this explanation better explain my cynicism/skepticism?”

On the lighter side. I’ve been known to settle disagreements with an arm wrestle. 💪😉🤣
I definitely didn't read it that way. I always enjoy watching a good arm wrestling match. Just got done watching East vs. West last week.

Reactions: ChuckM3P