Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Ludicrous Spotted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit torn - I like it in principle but if the 0-60 is <0.5s quicker then they're clearly sandbagging to preserve the top end Plaid which isn't really an option here.

Despite my predisposition for new and shiny things, the upgrade from a 2019 P3- would cost ~£30k and it feels like pretty poor value, especially when you consider they've had over 5 years to improve upon the original.

What would tip the balance a bit more would be some of the whizzy stuff from Cybertruck:
  • Air suspension
  • 48v
  • Steer-by-wire to offset the loss of stalks
  • Vehicle to Load / house battery
  • Some sort of dash display or HUD?
I think we'll see these things eventually but I'm not in the market for an LR + "Acceleration Boost++" and some new bumpers.

Lots of leaked information and pictures now, we know it has:

New bucket seats
New Front Splitter
Ventilated Seats
New Rear Spoiler
630bhp according to latest leaks

Which would put it right around 2.7s - 2.9s 0-60 and 10.9s 1/4 Mile. No doubt they are targeting the X Drive M3 Performance.

Anyone got much interest in this vehicle? I was hoping for more power than 630bhp personally, feels like a small step up from the last gen Model 3 Performance. Would have been nice to go 700 - 800hp range for an everyday driver.
This comment made me chuckle. 😀

Being in my 40s I’m old enough to remember hot cars having BHP in the 200s and 300s. When I had a car with 530bhp (R34 GTR) it felt like basically nothing else on the road. A previous car with a prancing horse on it was 562bhp and felt very rapid.

Here we are with people talking about 700bhp+ cars as daily drivers, that basically anyone can get. What a time to be alive 🎉

To echo previous comments - I feel like I was looking for something closer to 2 than 3. 2.5 would’ve been acceptable, given the price to switch. It does feel like they’re sandbagging, having only the one Plaid-grade rear motor, instead of both.

Given introductory pricing, and the likelihood of a “kinks ironed out” and/or mid life refresh with front bumper camera and possibly other stuff, I’m with @jmaddr in likely targeting end of the year before considering it, I think.

The straight-line acceleration from a dig is nice, but it will take a lot of work the move the current state of Model 3 - which has way too much body roll for its ride harshness and relies on twitchily fast steering to give it a nimble feel - to make a car that truly changes direction with elan. And hopefully the acceleration will not fade like my MS Raven performance’s does above 60mph. And sadly the proportions remain those only an owner would love.

Reactions: goRt