Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Fit and Finish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Care to elaborate? Or did you already post your findings in the respective sections? I suppose making things easy to manufacture should make it more easy to get it done properly but yeah, I won't hold my breath :)
Here are some of the issues that were fixed with a body shop visit after my X delivery.

There are still some outstanding things. Chips in the paint around the mirror, misaligned chrome, panel issues, etc. Nothing that's horrific, but noticeable enough. In fact, it was noticeable in this thread where someone pointed out the hood mismatch (and that's after fixing it). Granted, the angle of the shot screams for symmetry.

On the Model S, panels are pretty fine. The chrome is coming off completely on the passenger door (they'll fix it). I've had the headliner adjusted a bunch of times. The cross-bar behind the pano roof is coming off as well. These will all get some attention the next time I take it to my friendly service center.

All in all, I still love the cars. The S has brought me years of happiness despite any QC issues, and that's from someone who definitely isn't a car guy. Coming from a '99 Acura TL that averaged under 4k miles a year, the S got 34k miles in just over 2 years. So there's that.

I just won't set high expectations at this point because they're not justified. That's a recipe for disappointment. I'll set the bar exactly where it is now - the quality they deliver for S and X. If they exceed that, good for them and I'll be happy.

Here are some of the issues that were fixed with a body shop visit after my X delivery.

There are still some outstanding things. Chips in the paint around the mirror, misaligned chrome, panel issues, etc. Nothing that's horrific, but noticeable enough. In fact, it was noticeable in this thread where someone pointed out the hood mismatch (and that's after fixing it). Granted, the angle of the shot screams for symmetry.

On the Model S, panels are pretty fine. The chrome is coming off completely on the passenger door (they'll fix it). I've had the headliner adjusted a bunch of times. The cross-bar behind the pano roof is coming off as well. These will all get some attention the next time I take it to my friendly service center.

All in all, I still love the cars. The S has brought me years of happiness despite any QC issues, and that's from someone who definitely isn't a car guy. Coming from a '99 Acura TL that averaged under 4k miles a year, the S got 34k miles in just over 2 years. So there's that.

I just won't set high expectations at this point because they're not justified. That's a recipe for disappointment. I'll set the bar exactly where it is now - the quality they deliver for S and X. If they exceed that, good for them and I'll be happy.

Thanks for the update - to be fair those things don't look too dramatic. Sure they are stuff that one wants to get fixed but nothing to lose sleep over. I haven't looked in to fit&finish threads of S and X so I was expecting something worse based on some horror story posts.

Maybe the Audi guy will help. The parts should be designed so they self fixture and no adjustment is needed.

Quality is not a labor issue, but largely a design (and manufacturing engineering) issue.

Maybe the Audi guy will help. The parts should be designed so they self fixture and no adjustment is needed.

Quality is not a labor issue, but largely a design (and manufacturing engineering) issue.
Design something that self adjusts? Installation quality that is not dependent on the skill of the laborer? Sounds like a robot assembly line on electronic parts some time in the future.
I just don't get your point....are you being serious?

Design something that self adjusts? Installation quality that is not dependent on the skill of the laborer? Sounds like a robot assembly line on electronic parts some time in the future.

Sure, they have corner fixtures that space floor tile evenly independent of the skill of the craftsman. The mortar has to be right, but there is zero adjustment. If you want the assembly line to run with any kind of speed, you have to drive all the adjustment out of the process. Not with automation, but with parts that use holes in the right place (instead of slots), or sacrificial spacers that do the alignment.

Adjustment equals failure in speed and quality.

EZ_Pull_Tile_Spacer_lg-1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt

You are a fan of Tesla and still have enough honesty to complain about fit and finish. I am reacting to those complaints by downward adjustment of expectations. I was believing in the Legend of MS, car extraordinar. Now Im having second thoughts.
My nearest Service Center is 112 miles one way. Rangers are kaput. If my headliners need fixing - its a 5 hour RT drive, plus shop time.
My fantasy was that I pick it up in its finished form, no tweaks needed for years.
You may not have intended to be a wet blanket...but I'm struggling here.

You are a fan of Tesla and still have enough honesty to complain about fit and finish. I am reacting to those complaints by downward adjustment of expectations. I was believing in the Legend of MS, car extraordinar. Now Im having second thoughts.
My nearest Service Center is 112 miles one way. Rangers are kaput. If my headliners need fixing - its a 5 hour RT drive, plus shop time.
My fantasy was that I pick it up in its finished form, no tweaks needed for years.
You may not have intended to be a wet blanket...but I'm struggling here.
I wouldn't be terribly worried about the Service Center issue. If fit and finish are major issues to you, go see a couple of Model S builds (at Superchargers or galleries or stores or whatever) and see if you're happy with them. If so, then you can be satisfied that what you're buying is going to be very close to what you see.

Without this forum shoving its OCD up my nose, I would have likely never paid much attention to the fit and finish issues on my S. Once you start to look, and to know what to look for, you can see it. But that's true for just about anything.

Reactions: SageBrush

Building on what you are saying, and the idea of the machine (full of people) that builds the machine, one assist tool that would help is a hockey puck sized nut driver for each door hinge, hood hinge and trunk hinge. It would be nice if it were the same part in most of these places.

The hockey puck nut driver solves the problem of access while the panels are positioned with a 'tile spacer' near each corner. Here is how it works:

1) Rough hang the panel.
2) Put a hockey puck nut driver on/in each hinge.
3) Call for finger tight. (this can be automatic)
4) Close the door/panel. If the sacrificial tile spacers have not fallen off, the gaps will be even and the panel will be flush.
5) Call for design torque.(this can be automatic)
6) Open the door.
7) Remove the spacers. (to recycle bin)
8) Remove the hockey puck nut drivers.

Advance the vehicle.

The hockey puck nut driver gets reloaded by a vibratory bowl parts feeder as the vehicle advances.
I would be really surprised if the industry does not already have this. The car needs to be designed with space for the puck at each hinge when the panels are closed.

If you want fast and high quality, the process must contain no adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Building on what you are saying, and the idea of the machine (full of people) that builds the machine, one assist tool that would help is a hockey puck sized nut driver for each door hinge, hood hinge and trunk hinge. It would be nice if it were the same part in most of these places.

The hockey puck nut driver solves the problem of access while the panels are positioned with a 'tile spacer' near each corner. Here is how it works:

1) Rough hang the panel.
4) Close the door/panel. If the sacrificial tile spacers have not fallen off, the gaps will be even and the panel will be flush.
6) Open the door.

Advance the vehicle.

The hockey puck nut driver gets reloaded by a vibratory bowl parts feeder as the vehicle advances.
I would be really surprised if the industry does not already have this. The car needs to be designed with space for the puck at each hinge when the panels are closed.

If you want fast and high quality the process must have zero adjustment.
I have no idea what you are arguing. I'm disengaging further contact here. You are wasting my time.

1) Rough hang the panel.
6) Open the door.

Advance the vehicle.

Sounds like total BS.

I get the feeling people are expecting Model S quality for $35,000. I don't see how that could be possible. Maybe Tesla is just counting on people optioning out their Model 3s so heavily, that they can lose money on the base model, and still turn a profit. I won't be surprised if the fully loaded Model 3 exceeds $100,000. It's not going to be cheap owning the fastest production car ever. If it's lighter and more aerodynamic than the S it will probably be faster, but as we've seen, Tesla doesn't sell supercar speed to the budget minded.

• Disagree
Reactions: wcfree
I get the feeling people are expecting Model S quality for $35,000. I don't see how that could be possible. Maybe Tesla is just counting on people optioning out their Model 3s so heavily, that they can lose money on the base model, and still turn a profit. I won't be surprised if the fully loaded Model 3 exceeds $100,000. It's not going to be cheap owning the fastest production car ever. If it's lighter and more aerodynamic than the S it will probably be faster, but as we've seen, Tesla doesn't sell supercar speed to the budget minded.

We've also seen how many promises become reality within a reasonable timeframe. So I'm not holding my breath for those initial specifications.

I get the feeling people are expecting Model S quality for $35,000.
That's like saying someone expects Lexus LS 'quality' in a Lexus ES. The thing is...? You really do get pretty much the same quality in a Toyota Avalon, or Camry XLE. The more money you spend, the more sound deadening goes in their cars.

I guess that really, we need to know what exact 'quality' you are speaking of... Craftsmanship? Engineering? Materials? Feature sets? Sales and service experience?

I don't see how that could be possible.
OK. Tell us what makes this so hard for you to believe, and we can counter with ideas or insight as to why someone else might think otherwise.

Plainly, though for the nearly three years I've been frequenting Tesla Forums people have repeatedly claimed the Model S didn't have the 'quality' of cars that cost under $40,000... And some have gone so far as to complain the Model S, at any trim level, still lacked the sorts of features they felt were 'industry standard' on cars costing between $15,000 and $25,000... It remains rather surprising to me that anyone who is referring to such things as creature comforts or options must think that somehow building more cars makes prices go UP, and thereby more expensive to offer. My feeling is that if Tesla can provide a '$40,000 interior' on an up to $150,000 car that is built at 50,000 units per year -- then they should be able to do so on a car that costs around forty grand and will be built at 500,000 units per annum. Economies of scale WORK. There must be some reason why you discount or dismiss that notion.

Maybe Tesla is just counting on people optioning out their Model 3s so heavily, that they can lose money on the base model, and still turn a profit.
That seems more like an expectation that you have instead. I very much doubt that Tesla Motors will be 'losing money' on any version of the Model ☰ at all. They employ extremely smart people who are certainly aware that any manufacturer that manages less than 5% profit margin goes out of business. Elon Musk has been saying for over three years that he expected the profit margin on Tesla Generation III vehicles to be in the 10% to 15% range. He noted it might be more like 12%, and it has been reported that their financials are expecting no less than 11% for Model ☰. If that is true, that means their $35,000 base version of the Model ☰ can cost as much as $31,150 to build and they will still be on target.

For reference, the $33,450 BMW 320i is hardly as well equipped or capable as the $23,070 Toyota Camry LE. The $10,000 premium for the BMW seems to buy you not much more than a badge, rear wheel drive, a smaller cabin and trunk, and much worse fuel economy. Thus, if the base version of the Model ☰ can just match their feature sets, it will not be substandard or 'stripped' by any means. The Camry sold over 750,000 units worldwide in both 2014 and 2015. The BMW 3-Series sold over 330,000 units worldwide in 2015, and nearly 370,000 in 2014.

I won't be surprised if the fully loaded Model 3 exceeds $100,000.
Some others have expressed a similar sentiment. They tend to point to race prepped BMW M3s or M5s as evidence. I disagree. Because I look at the prices of Model S Performance and Model X Performance vehicles as compared to Alpina, AMG, and Turbo S competitors. And in each case, the Performance oriented vehicles that Tesla offers are an absolute bargain compared to Mercedes-AMG, BMW M/Alpina, and Porsche Turbo S cars. I expect that to remain the case with Model ☰ versus its direct competitors. Cars like Jaguar XE S, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Cadillac ATS-V, Infiniti Q50 RED Sport, Lexus IS F-Sport, BMW M3, and Mercedes-AMG C63 will mostly be far more expensive than say, a Model ☰ P100D.

It's not going to be cheap owning the fastest production car ever. If it's lighter and more aerodynamic than the S it will probably be faster, but as we've seen, Tesla doesn't sell supercar speed to the budget minded.
It will be quick before it gets fast. I expect the full Performance oriented version of Model ☰ will at first deliver 0-60 MPH times under 3.0 seconds, but 'only' reach a 155 MPH top speed. Within 18-24 months, there will be a version under 2.5 seconds 0-60 MPH, with a 186 MPH (300 KPH) top speed. I expect that Nürburgring runs will be under 7:30 with showroom stock vehicles, and much lower when race prepped before 2020. BMW M3 and M4 best lap times there are with race prepped cars, not stock.

I'm just wondering if I will regret buying an S instead of waiting for the 3. I do like bigger cars, the hatchback, and the looks of the S better. That may not be worth twice the cost though. Also, I have a feeling the 3 might end up looking better than the S in person. I rationalize that I will get my S about a year sooner, not have to stress about getting the $7,500 tax credit, and not have to put up with the quality issues of a first generation vehicle. Hopefully I'll just get my S and live peacefully ever after watching the EV revolution unfold. From my black Next Gen seats of course.

Watched a TV show yesterday that featured the Tesla Assembly plant. The program showed stamping machines, jigs and robot welders. Humans were shown doing nothing more than stacking the components after they were stamped.
Regarding fit and finish, I presume there are minor adjustments that can and need to be made in the robots ... hopefully that is what is occurring right now ... but after they are aligned, shouldn't they perform exactly the same repeatedly?
If the basic structural components are properly aligned and welded .... it would seem that the trim pieces that are installed by humans could all be adjusted post assembly.

Reactions: Red Sage
The hockey puck nut driver solves the problem of access while the panels are positioned with a 'tile spacer' near each corner

Tried building one from an old Makita. The motor makes it too big for people to be willing to design hinges around it. So that does not work universally enough.

Just got new bike shoes with a BOA cable lace system. Using this would let you keep the motor out of the hinge build. All the wear mechanisms would need to be changed out every shift, but different heads could be used for each hinge point.

It has a shot. Maybe with some time pressure adhesive.