Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 Collision [is this car totaled]?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My '19 Tesla Model 3 SR+ Was Involved in Collision on Friday, February 18th in Riverside, California. Tesla Roadside assistance towed my car to the Tesla Service Center in Pomona, California.

This morning I received an email from Tesla Pomona notifying me that my car is scheduled for a service appointment on April 7th, 2022. I called the Service Center and they said that since the Model 3 needs to be lifted, April 7th is the next available appointment. This seems like a very long time to wait for an insurance adjustment through Tesla Insurance.

From the attached pictures, does this Tesla Model 3 appear to be totaled? Any recommendations for working though Tesla Insurance and Tesla Collision Repair to expedite this repair/replacement process?

IMG_6941.jpeg
IMG_6945.jpeg
IMG_6946.jpeg
IMG_6958.jpeg

Thank you for your suggestions!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Firstly, I am glad you are safe. My guess is Tesla Body shop is backed up ( Tesla is selling 1000's of cars every quarter in California). I have used Tesla Body Shop in the Bay Area and my experience is - staff shortage first and then parts availability will determine when you get your car back. Structural damage cannot be assessed w/o lifting the car . Good luck hope it all works out for you.

Upvote 0
My M3 was in an accident on 10/12/21. It wasn't as bad as yours but it was pretty ugly. But at least my car was drivable. I live in MA. There are 6 Tesla approved collision centers here. I drove it to one the next day and got an estimate. That was 10/13. They told me they couldn't do any work on it for at least two weeks, but their estimate was $6200. A few days later my insurance company (Commerce Ins) sent an adjustor to my house to do an estimate. That estimate was $3200 - a total joke!. I brought the car back to the collision center in early November. The did a more thorough look at the car and ordered parts. Ultimately, the car wasn't ready until 12/15 and the total cost was $9260. Fortunately, the accident wasn't my fault and the person who hit my car had the same insurance company as me, so everything was settled without any issues and I didn't have to pay a cent, bu I was without the car for just over 2 months, which really sucked. I hope your collision center can work more quickly and I hope Tesla Insurance is as good at resolving things as Commerce Insurance was. good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
My '19 Tesla Model 3 SR+ Was Involved in Collision on Friday, February 18th in Riverside, California. Tesla Roadside assistance towed my car to the Tesla Service Center in Pomona, California.

This morning I received an email from Tesla Pomona notifying me that my car is scheduled for a service appointment on April 7th, 2022. I called the Service Center and they said that since the Model 3 needs to be lifted, April 7th is the next available appointment. This seems like a very long time to wait for an insurance adjustment through Tesla Insurance.

From the attached pictures, does this Tesla Model 3 appear to be totaled? Any recommendations for working though Tesla Insurance and Tesla Collision Repair to expedite this repair/replacement process?

View attachment 772206View attachment 772207View attachment 772208View attachment 772209

Thank you for your suggestions!
Totaled

Upvote 0
From those pics of the "outside" it doesn't appear to be totaled to me. BUT depends on damage to batteries (cost) and if frame is bent etc.

OP how did the crash occur?

As shown in the video, the Chevrolet Sonic driving in the opposite direction slammed on breaks, swerved across double yellow lines, and crashed into the driver's side of my Tesla Model 3. Moving the TM3 into the emergency lane before the collision avoided a more serious head-on collision.

The TM3's airbag deployment worked very well, no injuries whatsoever. TM3's Autopilot steering and breaking after the airbags deployed likely avoided a more serious collision with the rock boulders that you can see on the side of the road. Tesla suspension raised up before the collision and car shut down after the collision, so tow mode wasn't working. This made it more difficult for the tow truck to lift the TM3 onto the tow-bed.

Upvote 0
Airbags deployed too. I’ve seen teslas totaled for less damage than this. Time (as well as a thorough inspection) will tell.
I got slightly rear ended and the body shop told me it was the second time that had happened to the car. I’m the second owner and had no clue. Now they’re telling me a $8k repair might be $30k because they can’t simply repair what was there. I’m not at fault. Said they had to submit to Tesla for their determination on properly repairing it. The previous repair was done well. Says they have to go deeper into the floor panel. 2018 M3 LR.

Upvote 0