Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL 3 Charging Data @ Temp 56 F (Data from 3Victoria Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Data from (3Victoria) Charging Video and put in CHART FORM. Would be helpful to have other Model 3-Charging Videos posted at DIFFERENT OUTSIDE AIR TEMPERATURES.
SUPERCHARGER - 56 F - MODEL 3 - (3Victoria) Video.jpg

Ambient air temperature is a red herring and means very little. What matters is the battery temperature at the start of the charge session. That is a function of it's storage environment temperature (in garage or outside) and how much and how hard it's been driven before the charge session begins.

A low ambient temperature increases the efficiency of the heat exchangers in the car and DC charger, but that's about it.

Ambient air temperature is a red herring and means very little. What matters is the battery temperature at the start of the charge session. That is a function of it's storage environment temperature (in garage or outside) and how much and how hard it's been driven before the charge session begins.

A low ambient temperature increases the efficiency of the heat exchangers in the car and DC charger, but that's about it.

Good to know (Zoomit), Thanks!!
I went back and viewed the (3Victoria) Video again.
I think the video was trying to obtain the best Charge Rate possible and the conditions as stated were;
1- 40 Min Drive prior to Charging.
2- Temp 56 F
3- SOC at beginning of Charging- 2 Miles
4- Late Night Charging- so Supercharger Power was not effected by nearby Business.
5- Battery Temp- Not Too Hot/Not Too Cold.

I hope this clarifies how the Data was gathered.

My question, do you think the Data obtained from this Video
will represent what to expect (Pretty Close Anyway), charging
with same Conditions except a different OAT?

Good to know (Zoomit), Thanks!!
I went back and viewed the (3Victoria) Video again.
I think the video was trying to obtain the best Charge Rate possible and the conditions as stated were;
1- 40 Min Drive prior to Charging.
2- Temp 56 F
3- SOC at beginning of Charging- 2 Miles
4- Late Night Charging- so Supercharger Power was not effected by nearby Business.
5- Battery Temp- Not Too Hot/Not Too Cold.

I hope this clarifies how the Data was gathered.

My question, do you think the Data obtained from this Video
will represent what to expect (Pretty Close Anyway), charging
with same Conditions except a different OAT?
Let's be clear about the video:
It's posted on YouTube by AboutEVs, which may or may not be associated with 3Victoria.

Either way; yes, the charge profile would likely be very similar with ambient temps +/-30F to the 56F in the video. HOWEVER, if the car was stored at a much higher or lower temperature, and not warmed up, it would be different. Warming up could be done with frequent acceleration. The video says a 40 min drive but does not qualify that drive. 40min on the highway DOES NOT necessarily warm it up if the battery started cold.

I suspect the initial charge power (~60kW) was hampered because the battery was colder than optimal. If the warming drive was at a higher speed or the storage temperature was warmer, it might have started charging at a higher rate.

Let's be clear about the video:
It's posted on YouTube by AboutEVs, which may or may not be associated with 3Victoria.

Either way; yes, the charge profile would likely be very similar with ambient temps +/-30F to the 56F in the video. HOWEVER, if the car was stored at a much higher or lower temperature, and not warmed up, it would be different. Warming up could be done with frequent acceleration. The video says a 40 min drive but does not qualify that drive. 40min on the highway DOES NOT necessarily warm it up if the battery started cold.

I suspect the initial charge power (~60kW) was hampered because the battery was colder than optimal. If the warming drive was at a higher speed or the storage temperature was warmer, it might have started charging at a higher rate.

(Zoomit) Thank You Again, getting all kinda good Info from you, but also
its raising some questions.
1- On the Model 3 - how to know what the Battery TEMP actually is, besides the "Snowflake"?
2- Is there a published (Optimal Battery Temp) for charging, and what it might be?
3- Whats a General Rule Of Thumb to know whether or not you have Battery that is sufficiently warm for Max Charging?
4- You mentioned Rapid Acceleration is a faster way to warm battery versus normal highway driving. Just curious
why this would be?
I surprised Tesla does not have charging performance charts published to help
make Trip Planning go smoother. I know about the different TRIP PLANNERS, but it would
be nice to have backup paper charts.

Thanks In Advance

(Zoomit) Thank You Again, getting all kinda good Info from you, but also
its raising some questions.
1- On the Model 3 - how to know what the Battery TEMP actually is, besides the "Snowflake"?
2- Is there a published (Optimal Battery Temp) for charging, and what it might be?
3- Whats a General Rule Of Thumb to know whether or not you have Battery that is sufficiently warm for Max Charging?
4- You mentioned Rapid Acceleration is a faster way to warm battery versus normal highway driving. Just curious
why this would be?
I surprised Tesla does not have charging performance charts published to help
make Trip Planning go smoother. I know about the different TRIP PLANNERS, but it would
be nice to have backup paper charts.

Thanks In Advance
1--Battery temp indication: None that I know of in Model 3. Performance variant might have a temp indication when in Ludicrous mode like the S/X P100D.
2--Optimal battery temp: Nothing published, but generally for Li-ion, I think it's around the same temp that humans like (70-80F)
3--Rule of thumb: None exists that I've heard. I suspect most people won't drive their car in a specific manner to get optimal charging. People recommend driving their car if it's been sitting in a cold environment before Supercharging or Supercharging after a trip leg in the evening verses the next morning. This is really just to avoid really slow Supercharging as opposed to getting optimal Supercharging.
4--Rapid acceleration: The key to heating the battery is increasing its power output. As Bjorn says, "drive it like you stole it." Normal driving doesn't have very high power output, relatively speaking. Excess heat generated by the battery is a function of current squared (P=I^2*R), so high current will heat the battery quickly. Watch Bjorn's "yo-yo" driving at about 8min in the third video.

1--Battery temp indication: None that I know of in Model 3. Performance variant might have a temp indication when in Ludicrous mode like the S/X P100D.
2--Optimal battery temp: Nothing published, but generally for Li-ion, I think it's around the same temp that humans like (70-80F)
3--Rule of thumb: None exists that I've heard. I suspect most people won't drive their car in a specific manner to get optimal charging. People recommend driving their car if it's been sitting in a cold environment before Supercharging or Supercharging after a trip leg in the evening verses the next morning. This is really just to avoid really slow Supercharging as opposed to getting optimal Supercharging.
4--Rapid acceleration: The key to heating the battery is increasing its power output. As Bjorn says, "drive it like you stole it." Normal driving doesn't have very high power output, relatively speaking. Excess heat generated by the battery is a function of current squared (P=I^2*R), so high current will heat the battery quickly. Watch Bjorn's "yo-yo" driving at about 8min in the third video.

Great Videos!! THANK YOU- "Drive It Like You Stole It" If you have a COLD Battery,
Easy to remember and a Quick Fix!! Perfect:)