Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 Chare Port Won't Latch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 9-month old Model 3, and just started having issues with my Charge Port not latching (after a Supercharging session while travelling). Did all the normal troubleshooting, and have tried my home charger and a different Supercharger.

Attached is a picture of the charge port - I noticed a discoloration (circled in blue) and weird piece (circled in Red). Mobile Service is coming out to take a look, but has anyone experienced this, and can you tell if there's an issue from the picture? Maybe something from blocking it from fully inserting?

Capture.JPG

I have a 9-month old Model 3, and just started having issues with my Charge Port not latching (after a Supercharging session while travelling). Did all the normal troubleshooting, and have tried my home charger and a different Supercharger.

Attached is a picture of the charge port - I noticed a discoloration (circled in blue) and weird piece (circled in Red). Mobile Service is coming out to take a look, but has anyone experienced this, and can you tell if there's an issue from the picture? Maybe something from blocking it from fully inserting?

View attachment 397853

I have no idea what the charge port of a Model 3 looks like as it is my wife's car but it looks like the black piece in red is broken off the white area or fits in/over the white area. My guess is that the black piece broke off the white area. Will be curious to hear what the solution is.

Found the issue! After using some needle-nose plyers, it looks like the black, plastic cap broke off the top-right connector and wedged in the side (when using the Supercharger on my trip). I removed the plastic piece (below) and now the charger will connect & charge.

However, I am still having them come out to replace the unit, since I'm guessing this plastic piece is either a safety-feature or part of the protection. Anyone know what its for? And how hard is it for them to replace the charging port?

plastic.JPG